PDA

View Full Version : Tangs and Activated Carbon

dirtyclownfish
04/08/2008, 06:39 PM
Well, I plan to keep a tang of sorts, and on the internet, I recall seeing that activated carbon is detrimental to the health of certain genus of tangs. Is this strictly Ctenochaetus genus or does this apply to all tangs? I will need to run carbon on the output of my ozone reaction chamber when I get an ozonizer.

Tremelle
04/08/2008, 06:43 PM
I am curious about the tang and carbon issue. Can you post a link from where you read that on the net?

dirtyclownfish
04/08/2008, 06:47 PM
Well, It is a long gone thread on another marine forum, but, I remember that activated carbon could be detrimental to their health over time. I was running carbon when my Tomini died.

cloak
04/08/2008, 06:54 PM
Here's a good article.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/sp/index.php

dirtyclownfish
04/08/2008, 07:01 PM
Hmmm, Sever possible things, could be dust, could be leeching something bad into the water, could be removing trace elements...

Chibils
04/08/2008, 07:38 PM
I read that once on here, there was a link to some research claiming that carbon could promote the development of HLLE.

ACBlinky
04/08/2008, 10:49 PM
I've read that as well, and while I have no proof, I believe it might be true. I adopted a tang that was very sick -- HLLE was only one of several problems -- and though I've gotten it under control, she's still got some patches of missing skin on her face/forehead. If I ease up on the carbon for a while her condition seems to improve, but it's a balancing act -- the tank seems to do better with carbon (it's full of leathers and heavily stocked), but the tang doesn't.

dirtyclownfish
04/09/2008, 04:47 AM
How then am I supposed to keep ozone from the reaction chamber out of the water?