PDA

View Full Version : DIY Remote (Sump, Rez, Chiller, etc.) limitations

Mako Shark II
04/08/2008, 09:15 PM
I'm preparing to set up a new 120g RR AGA and the discussion has turned to remotely mounting all the major components in an adjacent room, (isolating the heat & noise away) thru a non-load bearing common wall.

The essential components are presently:

Sump, ESHOPPES RS-200
Return pump 790 GPH PCX-30
Protein Skimmer Reef Octopus TS-150
Closed loop pump 1190 GPH PCX-40
My Reef Creations CR-1 Calcium Reactor & CO2 tank
RO / DI

Here's the Question:
Assuming the only limitation is the pump (GPH) size, how far can I realistically remote the (temperature controlled, conditioned water) Sumps away from the display tank??? (If I can run 15', I can stash everything in a close-by Closet.)

I welcome any Questions, Comments & Advise that's out there.
Thanks.

laverda
04/09/2008, 12:08 AM
The only limitations are having enough height difference so the drains to the sump flow enough to match your return pump. Usually you want the sump flow to be between 5 and 10 time the tank volume. It costs money to pump water, the greater the GPH, the farther and higher you pump it the more it will cost. Your return pump runs 24/7 so it is the biggest electrical user on most systems. You could have the sump higher then the tank if you wanted. but you really want to stay from needing two pumps just to get water to and from the sump.

Mako Shark II
04/09/2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks, so in your opinion (if know the equipment & specs selected), would you guess that the groceries I have here, will do the trick?

(Safe to asssume the Sump will go (relatively) under the height of the Tank, albeit laterally removed by 10-12-15'??

Thanks Laverda

kgross
04/09/2008, 05:11 PM
The lateral move should not cause any problems, other than the friction loss from the longer lengths of pipe. I would use 1.25 or 1.5 inch pipe for your drain so it can drain freely into the sump. When you mount the drain line, you will want to put it on a slope from the tank to the sump so that you have less problems with stuff settling in the piping.

I'm not sure if I would try to go more tan the 15 feet, without moving up to an even larger drain pipe 2". The chance of stuff building up in the pipe increases with the lower velocity of the water.

Mako Shark II
04/09/2008, 05:23 PM
Most excellent! Thanks.