PDA

View Full Version : Bristle worms

TropTrea
04/09/2008, 08:04 AM
I had just discovered that one of tanks has a large quantity of these worms especialy in the substrate.

Some quick questions.

1. Are these harmful at all to any other reef inhabitants?

2. If there are enough of them can they upset my balance as far as the substrate is concerned.

3. Are they worth the effort to reduce there quantities or elimanate? And if so how?

Thanks
Dennis

RumLad
04/09/2008, 09:01 AM
The common bristle worm is not considered harmful to your reef or sand bed at all. they are scavengers the feast on leftovers. if you would like to reduce there numbers, you can cut back on the amount of food available to them through reduced feedings, increased waste removal etc.. they will self regulate their numbers.
Other than that, they are beneficial to your system as a whole, except they don't do water changes. :)

TropTrea
04/10/2008, 08:08 AM
My biggest concern is that they are in the sand beed and could deplete the good biological criters in there which help reduce my nitrates, nitrites and amonia.

I knew there were a few in there for some time. However right after feeding last Sunday the substrate seemed to jump full of life. These worms seemed to coumming out of the sand by the dozens to consume what ever food hit the substrate.

Dennis

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12289686#post12289686 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RumLad
The common bristle worm is not considered harmful to your reef or sand bed at all. they are scavengers the feast on leftovers. if you would like to reduce there numbers, you can cut back on the amount of food available to them through reduced feedings, increased waste removal etc.. they will self regulate their numbers.
Other than that, they are beneficial to your system as a whole, except they don't do water changes. :)