PDA

View Full Version : The war between my snails and hermits

Sitarangi
04/09/2008, 02:36 PM
I have several miscillanious (turbo?) snails and small hermits in my tank. I got about 10 of each, to help with Algae and the whatnot. However, I think my hermits are killing my snails for their shells. Im finding several empty shells all over the place. I used to have a tiny smasher mantis, but given that the shells are whole, I dont think it's his handywork. Is it common for hermits to do this, should I just let them duke it out or is there something I should do about it.

Also, the snails are breeding like crazy, there are tiny curly things all over my glass and I've seen a couple without shells crawling around as well.

DrBDC
04/09/2008, 04:18 PM
The ones w/o shells are probably stomatella (sp?). Yes your hermits will kill snails for the shells, sometimes not even moving into them because they don't like the carpet or the colors :D

Getting some extra shells to lay around may help but it doesn't usually stop it. I can't say that when I had them it even slowed it down but it's worth a try if you want to keep the crabs.