PDA

View Full Version : Treat for flukes and worms in QT!

niles1967
04/09/2008, 08:21 PM
At the end of January I picked up a Scribbled Angel and did the standard 3 week QT with no problems. I haven't added anything else. Last week I noticed little worms like very tiny white threads on my tank wall. Several RC members told me they were pods and I should feel lucky to have them. Some afterwards, my Queen Angel started swimming around with one or both gills wide open. Other fish soon followed. Suspecting gill flukes or something similar I had some PraziPro delivered overnight.

By two to three hours later, my tank was swirling with dead little "worms" and small creatures about the size of a sesame seeds. There were hundreds of them. My fish are doing much better and I hope after a week all will be fine.

Lesson learned: from now on all QT will include PraziPro to treat any potential worms or flukes. It seems they can go undetected during a 3 to 4 week QT and PraziPro seems to have no ill effect on the fish.

Am I wrong? Does anyone disagree?

eskymick
04/09/2008, 08:37 PM
I agree. In addition, I give my new fish a 20 minute saltwater w/formalin bath before placing them into quarantine.