PDA

View Full Version : FishNeedIt.com - T-5 HO Fixture Suggestions?

o0xerog0o
04/10/2008, 12:25 AM
My 30 long that I'm setting up is in need of lighting, and it's been suggested to go with this setup T5-HO 3ft/4-lamp (http://www.fishneedit.com/t5ho-3ft--4lamp-aquarium-light.html). Anybody have any experience with, or suggestions about this setup? It comes with (2) 10000K 39W blue and (2) 10000K 39W white bulbs, but doesn't list which brand. I emailed them asking about it, just awaiting their response...

The main thing that's got me leaning in this direction is because of a member on another reef site suggesting them to me due to his good luck with them, and also because of the price being cheaper than most other places. I have no interest in getting hardcore into the LPS, maybe a couple SPS, but mostly softies... And the bulbs could be swapped out later on down the road for better ones, so I'm not really worried about what bulbs they are, just as long as they work. Thanks in advance

HookedOnReefing
04/10/2008, 12:30 AM
I just took a look at this unit and I was unable to see individual reflectors. The fact it doesn't have these, will dramatically reduce the light output as compared to units with individual reflectors. It has been mentioned that individual reflectors increase output by 300%

I also didn't see them mention that they incorporated waterproof endcaps. A big no-no imo.

I'm sure some of the T5 guru's on this board will chime in and give you MUCH better advise than I can give you.

o0xerog0o
04/10/2008, 12:37 AM
Thanks for your reply. As far as reflectors go, if they don't come with them, I could still add them with aftermarket pieces, correct?

o0xerog0o
04/10/2008, 03:46 PM
UPDATE:
I recieved an email from the owner of FishNeedIt.com... Here's what it says.

This light had one reflector only,and it has internal ballast inside the fixture,thank you.

My next shipment will be on April 21,and I import this light from china ,I used fishneedit as the brand names,and I don't have other bulbs at this time,and the shipping is $7.99 for now,because the gas price is keep going up,so I need to pay more to the fedex,thank you very much for your time. Regard simon

Thoughts? It sounds like maybe the reflector is just a one piece that spans the entire underside of the fixture... Can anyone cime in on this for me so I don't make a bad purchase? Thanks

HookedOnReefing
04/11/2008, 10:31 AM
In order to get the light output that you would need for SPS and LPS corals, each bulb needs an individual reflector. A one piece reflector for all bulbs is nearly next to useless.

luke33
04/11/2008, 10:57 AM
In that small of tank you'll pry be fine with any softy and lps imo, but the higher light sps may not grow to well, but i'd imagine most sps would do fine higher up in the tank. Thats just another jebo t5 light, they look nice but they do not have individual reflectors. No you most likely won't be able to fit individual reflectors on the fixture once you get it as its to narrow. I would definately change the bulb's out to nicer bulb's before adding any sps though. I would also say a tek 4x36" or aquacintics 4x36" would work better. Even a nova extreme PRO would work better. Why not check those all out as the last three would be able to house anything you wanted with no worries.