PDA

View Full Version : Xtra Wide Staphire Peninsula Build Thread - 400g System - Help! ;-)

tonyespinoza
04/10/2008, 02:51 PM
So this is a *big* upgrade for me... Going from a 50g rimless system with all in-tank stuff (Tunze 9010, 3167, etc.) to a large reef system and my first sump... :-) Been planning it for many months, but still have a lot of loose ends.

Display:
- 74" x 36" x 24" tall
- Starphire Peninsula (front, back and one end)
- Internal overflow on other end
- 250g total water volume (22" waterline)
- High flow, bare-bottom

Sump Plan:
- 75g Fuge
- Large RDSB
- Large dark live rock chamber (high flow cryptic zone)

Equipment Plan:
- Bubble King Deluxe 300 External (gravity fed from overflow)
- AquaPhoton Plus 4x400W + 12x54w T5HO
- Tunze 6201 x4 on Multi-controller
- Liter Meter 3 dosing 2-Part (May upgrade to Ca Rx down the road)
- Tunze Auto-Top-Off
- Return pump (help - need something silent and reliable)
- Reef controller (currently using Lighthouse, which I'll keep in my softie tank but would prefer something more robust for this tank)

Livestock:
- Dominated by tables and stags with a few other SPS for variety
- Large Flame Tip BTA (Outgrowing my current tank)
- Decent fish load (Tangs, Anthias, Wrasses, Clowns -- open to doing something unique here if anyone has a cool idea)

Aquascaping:
- Prefer to leave room to grow really big colonies and focus on a few key species of tables and stags.
- Want to keep live rock in the display to a minimum, hoping the dark live rock chamber will help achieve that. The remote live rock will be high flow, bare bottom as well.

Where I need help!

Are these the right sizes?
- Dual 1.5" Durso returns (different heights) in overflow.
- Dual 1" Loc-Line returns. Big enough?
- Should I order schedule 80 bulk heads?

Thanks in advance for any help!

tbone28
04/10/2008, 03:50 PM
which builder did you decide on? Eurobrace/rimless?

return pump - I like Velocity pumps. DEAD silent. The T4 may fit your application.

I also use dual 1.5" drains and dual 1" returns on my tank

And a definite YES on sch 80 bulkheads. Makes sense to do what's in your power to minimize potential leaks. I like Hayward bulkheads.

Any thoughts on a wavebox?

Jar*Head
04/10/2008, 04:08 PM
I heard Velocity T-4 is for rookie :D.

Tony go with tunze master Circulation. I ran them in my 240g system before from the garage to my so call dining room :D. The pump run cold not warm :D. You can run it internal or external. Or use the eheim 1262

Here is the pump that i am going to use in my new setup
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/NgoSH0311/New%20tank%20design/returnpumpandplumbing.jpg

You may need the Ca reactor if you decided to go with SPS dominate. I like your list of equipment but i heard the photon doesn't have a very good spread.

tonyespinoza
04/10/2008, 05:07 PM
Steve -

I'm intrigued on the Tunze pump... is it silent?
Thanks for the heads up on the Photon! I run a miniLumenarc now and love it, but my wife is not thrilled about a custom lighting rack in our living room (even if it's covered). So it's either the Photon or the Sfiligoi (which I've seen have probs more than once). Heard anything about the Sfiligoi -- from the looks of the reflector I would assume a great spread. See my wavebox question below... And let me know if you would recommend a particular Ca Rx for my system.

Terry -

I will look into velocity... I, er, kinda, *am* a rookie... (As they say, if the pump fits... )

I would love a wavebox, but I keep hearing from Roger that I shouldn't use it in a peninsula config or it will be sloshy/noisy. Then Steve comes along with his peninsula wavebox monster... Maybe I'll try it and see. Roger also says that a WB won't work on a tank wider than 24"... (I know, I know, I've seen the videos of Steve's tank...) I guess I'm curious to hear everyone's opinions on this.

I'm going with eurobraced so I can keep the thickness at 12mm. But also because I have a toddler and feel like it's a little safer to have around the house. (At least a little safer.) The eurobrace itself will be starphire too.

tonyespinoza
04/10/2008, 05:12 PM
Oh, and by the way, as soon as I make my deposit on the tank, I'll reveal the manufacturer... I'm very close. :-)

tbone28
04/10/2008, 05:25 PM
Steve is teasing me about the Velocity. I like it because it fits my needs - silent and small footprint. A drawback is it can heat up the water. For me, it's a benefit, since it's a source of free heat on my T5-only tank.

The waveboxes can be noisy, so something to consider if your tank is in the living room. My wife would nix that idea in a heartbeat.

Regarding Roger's comments, I think his suggestions always err on the conservative side. For example, he recommended 6101x2 on my tank, but I run a lot more than that

Hey Steve, i think you should wipe all that dust off your pump before taking pictures :D

Jar*Head
04/10/2008, 05:34 PM
I'm intrigued on the Tunze pump... is it silent?

It is quiet enough for my taste :D

Thanks for the heads up on the Photon! I run a miniLumenarc now and love it, but my wife is not thrilled about a custom lighting rack in our living room (even if it's covered). So it's either the Photon or the Sfiligoi (which I've seen have probs more than once). Heard anything about the Sfiligoi -- from the looks of the reflector I would assume a great spread.

Sfiligoi has a very good spread, many has problem in the past. But i think they all have been corrected by swap out the ballast. My friend Chad has the 3x400w with 4 T-5 in his 72x30x24 he said the light spread very wide. It cover his tank and some :D. He also has problem with the pendant for till AO send him the IC ballast to replace the ballast that came with the fixture.

See my wavebox question below... And let me know if you would recommend a particular Ca Rx for my system.

If money isn't an issue. I highly recommend the Deltec PF601S. But there are many other brand that work very well like Geo, MTC procal, MRC etc.....

I would love a wavebox, but I keep hearing from Roger that I shouldn't use it in a peninsula config or it will be sloshy/noisy. Then Steve comes along with his peninsula wavebox monster... Maybe I'll try it and see. Roger also says that a WB won't work on a tank wider than 24"... (I know, I know, I've seen the videos of Steve's tank...) I guess I'm curious to hear everyone's opinions on this.

You can run the wave box in your peninsular tank if you know how to adjust your water level inside the overflow box. The reason it make noise because when the wave go down, the water level inside your overflow box drop, and when the wave go up it create a sloshing sound because the water fall inside the overflow. You can correct that problem by raise your water level inside the overflow with the durso pipe.

For your tank size, you highly recommend a wave box and 1 extension.

I'm going with eurobraced so I can keep the thickness at 12mm. But also because I have a toddler and feel like it's a little safer to have around the house. (At least a little safer.) The eurobrace itself will be starphire too.

Euro brace beside supporting the tank, it also help keep the fish inside the tank. :D

Jar*Head
04/10/2008, 05:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12301084#post12301084 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbone28
Steve is teasing me about the Velocity. I like it because it fits my needs - silent and small footprint. A drawback is it can heat up the water. For me, it's a benefit, since it's a source of free heat on my T5-only tank.

The waveboxes can be noisy, so something to consider if your tank is in the living room. My wife would nix that idea in a heartbeat.

Regarding Roger's comments, I think his suggestions always err on the conservative side. For example, he recommended 6101x2 on my tank, but I run a lot more than that

Hey Steve, i think you should wipe all that dust off your pump before taking pictures :D

As for the wave box and noise issue. If you decided to add the wave box, make sure you tell the company who build your tank to cut the overflow box teeth 1/2"-1" lower than standard. By doing that, it will help with the noise.

Terry, the pump has been sitting in my garage for almost 2yrs. It is new. I had two but i sold the other with the tank.

tbone28
04/10/2008, 05:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12300998#post12300998 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tonyespinoza
Oh, and by the way, as soon as I make my deposit on the tank, I'll reveal the manufacturer... I'm very close. :-)

Hmmm, a guessing game? If you have a starphire eurobrace, must not be AGE. AO?

Jar*Head
04/10/2008, 05:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12301213#post12301213 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbone28
Hmmm, a guessing game? If you have a starphire eurobrace, must not be AGE. AO?

AO :eek2: . You need more than just euro brace.... Ask Chad about his 225g tank.....

tbone28
04/10/2008, 05:53 PM
I'm with Steve on this. With a few recent threads about AO seams splitting, I'm a bit weary of their tanks right now.

Jar*Head
04/10/2008, 05:57 PM
Terry is it SEEMS or SEAMS. I am not trying to correct you because i have been using the word "SEAMS" for quite sometime now. I don't want to use the wrong word without anyone correct me :D.

tbone28
04/10/2008, 06:09 PM
where are you seeing the word SEEMS, steve? :D :p

Jar*Head
04/10/2008, 06:15 PM
oops, sorry brother. I must be OLD....

tonyespinoza
04/10/2008, 06:16 PM
hm.. . you're scaring me! do you have a link to Chad's thread?! or any others?

tonyespinoza
04/10/2008, 06:18 PM
The issue i have with AGE is that their price has gone up significantly, the PVC bottom is of no use to me (no closed loop), and the acrylic eurobrace looks funny on an open top peninsula tank...

tbone28
04/10/2008, 06:21 PM
ha, i knew it was AO. Chad and a local guy on our BAR forum posted. he had a tough time getting a hold of AO initially.

I think PVC is still of use, especially on BB. What if your rock tumbles down? PVC is safer. The looks of the acrylic eurobrace is personal preference, but it will be functionally stronger than a glass Euro.

The AGE is a 1-piece brace. Most glass eurobraces are 4 separate pieces siliconed together, which means those seams can split.

Steve - just messin with ya! I edited my post :D Nice catch!

Jar*Head
04/10/2008, 06:21 PM
Chad did not have a build thread or complain thread. "He is cool like that" :D. He likes to change tank every 1.5yr :D but i know Greg from Bay area has his 60g split as well as anaslas' 600g and there is a few more. IMO, 1 yr warranty sound kinda weak.

But don't worry, just get yourself a bunch of cargo strap, the heavy duty kind and strap around the top and bottom of the tank then you will be fine.... :D

The cool thing is, if your tank ever split open and your warranty is expire. AO willing to fix it for you at no cost but you have to ship the tank to Canada and pay for the shipping back to your house. The round trip of shipping cost around $1400 but you will get a brand new silicon :D

tbone28
04/10/2008, 06:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12301531#post12301531 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jar*Head

But don't worry, just get yourself a bunch of cargo strap, the heavy duty kind and strap around the top and bottom of the tank then you will be fine.... :D

:lol: that comment right there will make Tony go AGE :D

Jar*Head
04/10/2008, 06:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12301496#post12301496 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tonyespinoza
The issue i have with AGE is that their price has gone up significantly, the PVC bottom is of no use to me (no closed loop), and the acrylic eurobrace looks funny on an open top peninsula tank...

The PVC bottom has nothing to do with CL. It is there for durability (spelling?). The acrylic top actually very smart because you can drill hole on it without worry about cracking the glass.

Jar*Head
04/10/2008, 06:30 PM
I am not trying to ruin someone business but i am kinda mad to hear Chad crying on the phone with me everyday either his overflow box look funny or the side panel look scary but when he contact them, they had a cat fight. I rather order my tank through GC

Jar*Head
04/10/2008, 06:37 PM
Tony, 1.5yr from now my tank should be ready for coral. If you ever need a home for them. Just call me, i will house time for you till you get it fix :D

Untamed12
04/10/2008, 06:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12299808#post12299808 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tonyespinoza

Are these the right sizes?
- Dual 1.5" Durso returns (different heights) in overflow.

The different heights of the dursos in the overflow box is strange. I can't understand what you are thinking with that. As this is your first sump based system, you might not be familiar with "Herbie" drains. In order to run a Herbie-type drain, you'll have to flow 100% of your overflow down one of those drains and use the other for emergency overflow only.

Based on that, I would go larger than 1.5"....maybe 2" should do it. (Too large is OK....too small is bad)

I think it is fair to say that if you can design for a Herbie type, they are better in every respect than any durso. However, you have to have the tank properly built for it.

Jar*Head
04/10/2008, 07:41 PM
Tony, i wasn't kidding about the BK Group buy. You can ask Terry about it :D

tonyespinoza
04/10/2008, 08:32 PM
Yup - Sounds like the "herbie" style is what I was after. So 2" sounds like a better choice. Any links to more info on Herbie style?

Terry & Steve - what style drains are you guys using? I thought Steve had durso's... does it make sense to structure them so that if one plugs the other can catch at a diff height, or am i trip'n?

tonyespinoza
04/10/2008, 08:35 PM
I haven't put in my deposit yet... But your stories really are scary...

I wonder why AGE won't do glass eurobracing?

tbone28
04/10/2008, 08:36 PM
Tony, it's a good idea to have a backup drain. I did not go that route. I have 2 working 1.5" drains. I doubt that I will have any backups with 3" worth of drains. I use CJ Standpipes.

You really should think more deeply about your tank choice, IMO.

Regarding glass eurobracing from AGE, did you ask Tom? Or are you assuming?

I'm not sure why you think the acrylic eurobrace will look funny on a glass tank. Here's my opinion. Since you're doing starphire, the acrylic and glass are both very clear. Also, a 1-piece eurobrace looks nicer and cleaner than a 4-piece eurobrace, again, IMO.

The Eurobrace is their for support, first and foremost. Acrylic is stronger than glass. The fact that it's one-piece makes it even stronger. I suspect this is why AGE does acrylic Eurobraces.

Took some quick pics for you:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa205/terrylau828/DSCN3345.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa205/terrylau828/DSCN3346.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa205/terrylau828/DSCN3347.jpg

Jar*Head
04/10/2008, 08:37 PM
I am using 2 1.5" drain with CJ stand pipe. I don't fully understand the "Herbie" so i am not going to try. I wouldn't worry much about it. Just get yourself 2 holes, and two durso pipe and you should be good...

tonyespinoza
04/10/2008, 08:45 PM
what's the diff between the Durso and the CJ?

the peer pressure to go with AGE is so thick, i can cut it with a knife!

(the truth is i think you guys know what you're talking about so i guess i better listen!)

tbone28
04/10/2008, 08:48 PM
CJ is a different type of standpipe, which takes up less real estate. CJ is the guy who makes them.

Regarding paying extra to get a white PVC bottom from AGE, do you plan on scraping your bottom on a regular basis? If not, whether you get white or gray, it will be covered with coralline. Take a look at Naka's tank. He has an AGE BB tank with standard gray PVC bottom.

I did not know AO gives 1 year warranty. AGE also gives 1 year if you use your own stand, and 5 years if you use theirs

link to CJ standpipes - absolutely silent. It's a DIY job as well, if you so desire

http://www.nautilusreef.com/html/cjstandpipes.html

Jar*Head
04/10/2008, 09:01 PM
The CJ seem to do more surface skimming, smaller foot print. The durso look bulky....

I agree with Terry (for the first time :D) that 1 piece brace is stronger... :D

ConcreteReefer
04/10/2008, 09:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12300458#post12300458 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jar*Head
I heard Velocity T-4 is for rookie :D.

Tony go with tunze master Circulation. I ran them in my 240g system before from the garage to my so call dining room :D. The pump run cold not warm :D. You can run it internal or external. Or use the eheim 1262

Here is the pump that i am going to use in my new setup
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/NgoSH0311/New%20tank%20design/returnpumpandplumbing.jpg

You may need the Ca reactor if you decided to go with SPS dominate. I like your list of equipment but i heard the photon doesn't have a very good spread.

That pump is for girly-men...
You need a MAN-PUMP *don't quote that ;)

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/6985/dscn0796sz5.jpg

Jar*Head
04/10/2008, 09:17 PM
That look like a wave pump. BTW, that pump look too manly for me

tbone28
04/10/2008, 09:18 PM
Steve, he will regret buying that pump after he realizes he can't fit anything else under his stand :D

Jar*Head
04/10/2008, 09:21 PM
Are you talking about my pump or Concrete manly pump? Well, eheim is another good choice beside the Red dragon....

tbone28
04/10/2008, 09:32 PM
I'm talking about Concrete's manly pump. Looks like that pump is full of concrete, it's so big! :lol:

Eheim is good. RD is expensive for a return pump

wmilas
04/10/2008, 09:38 PM
If you are worried about the split seems, why not just go all acrylic? Sounds like you already have an acrylic like bottom, and an acrylic top brace, and glass thats made to be as transparent as acrylic. Go the whole 9 yards and go acrylic all the way around for the strength.

The whole scratch thing is overblown on large tanks. Just take a few hours each year and use the buffer to tidy it up.

tbone28
04/10/2008, 09:46 PM
I would not drain a display tank to buff out scratches

tonyespinoza
04/10/2008, 11:07 PM
i think you guys are right -- acrylic for the top brace may be just fine. AGE wants $500 extra for it tho.

i'm personally not up for an all acrylic tank. if the tank was even larger, maybe it would be the only viable option (a la Steve's Monster).

tbone28
04/10/2008, 11:12 PM
Tony, why don't you go rimless? It's cheaper and it has the look I think you're going for. You're not using a canopy, right?

tonyespinoza
04/10/2008, 11:33 PM
i'd love to.

but the AGE rimless (3/4") is $4315.

think it's worth it!?

Crypsis
04/10/2008, 11:38 PM
Does anyone have a link to AGE? When I Google it nothing pops up.

tonyespinoza
04/10/2008, 11:40 PM
http://www.acrylicandglassexhibits.com/

tbone28
04/10/2008, 11:42 PM
and the eurobraced one is $4800? I always thought rimless tanks were more expensive than eurobraced ones.

I think your question of if it's worth it is personal preference. I think the best way to determine if it's worth it is to compare the prices of your desired tank across the different tank manufactures, and see what the price range is, while taking into consideration build quality, customer service/support, and company reputation.

The figure of $4315 is off the charts if I just look at that number, but it's probably because I don't know how much that sized tank should go for.

For my tank, AGE was more expensive than the other makers. Not by much though - maybe $300-400, so I thought their rep made it worth the extra money.

I wanted to by an AGA tank initially. Could of had one for CHEAP. My wife, normally the frugal one in the house, did not want the tank to leak and gave me the OK for a custom tank, as long as it would not put 200g of water on the floor. made a lot of sense. I think the tank is one area of equipment purchase where it makes sense to spend more if it means getting a good product

tbone28
04/10/2008, 11:45 PM
Tony, don't forget you can get quotes from different LFS'. You can also try ordereing from AE in Texas. It seems many people order through them. Did you get a quote from ken at Aq. Concepts?

Crypsis
04/10/2008, 11:53 PM
I'm looking to have a rimless tank built also. I like the idea of an acrylic bottom, how strong is the acrylic to glass bond? You might check these guys out.
http://www.aquariumobsessed.com/

tbone28
04/10/2008, 11:55 PM
merlin - AGE uses PVC bottom, and acrylic Eurobrace. Their bonds are extremely strong. This is their niche in the custom tank market.

AquariumObsessed is the "AO" we've been referring to in this thread

Jar*Head
04/10/2008, 11:57 PM
Did AGE went up in price? I heard Miracle also make a very good tank. Guy, if whatever i said don't make sense please forgive me. Just took 1 theraflu and tylenol cold :D

Crypsis
04/10/2008, 11:58 PM
Do you think it would be possible to have a pvc bottom and rear panel with the sides and front being glass?

tbone28
04/11/2008, 12:01 AM
merlin - I actually asked AGE to do that for me. I wanted PVC bottom, back, and sides. Starphire front, and acrylic Eurobrace. They said it's not worth doing because the price would skyrocket.

Steve, are you buzzin off the alcohol in that cough syrup? :D

Tony - Like Steve, I've heard that Miracles make good tanks, too. I almost went with that tank. Derrick is the contact person, IIRC. I haven't read of any tank leaks with Miracle tanks.

Jar*Head
04/11/2008, 12:03 AM
uh huh

Crypsis
04/11/2008, 12:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12304305#post12304305 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbone28
merlin - AGE uses PVC bottom, and acrylic Eurobrace. Their bonds are extremely strong. This is their niche in the custom tank market.

AquariumObsessed is the "AO" we've been referring to in this thread

Sorry. I kind of skimmed through.

tbone28
04/11/2008, 12:17 AM
Ok, I understand now why eurobrace is $500 more. It's if you want it on a 3/4" tank. Gotcha! Yeah, if you go eurobrace, you only need 1/2" glass.

Not sure about Miracles warranty.

Something else to think about should you ever need warranty work *knock on wood* - AO and Miracles are in the northeast - canada, IIRC. AGE is in Texas.

Jar*Head
04/11/2008, 09:25 AM
If i ever go with glass tank again, i will go with AGE. Even though their price is a bit high but you pay for what ya get... You can check with O.C aquatic. I heard they have an account with AGE. I used to send email to AGE for a quote and their price turn out to be pretty good. But that was last year tho.

wmilas
04/11/2008, 10:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12303299#post12303299 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbone28
I would not drain a display tank to buff out scratches

Who said anything about emptying the tank? You can buff it full.

Jar*Head
04/11/2008, 10:35 AM
wmilas, just forgive him :D. He doesn't know much about acrylic ...

tonyespinoza
04/11/2008, 11:46 AM
hey steve - can you introduce me to OC Aquatic (or give me a contact name there?). i'd like to put together the package for my tank and get an AGE quote. btw, where's OC Aquatic located? (Wondering if i'll pay California sales tax.)

by the way - the miracles quote came in and looks promising.

-tE

tonyespinoza
04/11/2008, 11:52 AM
btw Steve, i thought this was your last tank ever? :-)

Jar*Head
04/11/2008, 12:33 PM
It is :D

Jar*Head
04/11/2008, 12:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12305630#post12305630 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tonyespinoza
hey steve - can you introduce me to OC Aquatic (or give me a contact name there?). i'd like to put together the package for my tank and get an AGE quote. btw, where's OC Aquatic located? (Wondering if i'll pay California sales tax.)

by the way - the miracles quote came in and looks promising.

-tE

Tony, if you are in california, you will pay tax but talk to Kevin

PM sent

tbone28
04/11/2008, 01:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12304889#post12304889 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wmilas
Who said anything about emptying the tank? You can buff it full.

too much work. I prefer to avoid it from the beginning. I had an acrylic 240. With a bunch of nieces and nephews who want to help "drag that Magnavore", I had to go glass this time. I have no desire to dedicate time to buffing out scratches if I can avoid that.

Tony - another recommendation from me on OC :)

tonyespinoza
04/11/2008, 01:35 PM
Cool. The issue with OC is sales tax eating into any potential discounts. But I'll check into it!

tbone28
04/11/2008, 01:36 PM
tony, ygpm

EnFuego
04/11/2008, 09:44 PM
Another thought for an AGE quote is Kingfish Aquariums in Austin,TX. I have a nano from AGE, and thats who I went through, and there are a number of people in the area who have AGE tanks who I believe went through them as well.

tonyespinoza
04/11/2008, 10:44 PM
cool. i'm talking to kingfish actually... trying to figure out how to get the price to work. apparently AGE *will* do a starphire eurobrace...

tbone28
04/11/2008, 10:57 PM
anything can be done for the right price ;)
Is the starphire eurobrace a 4-piece brace? Can they cut out the brace from a large piece of glass? That'd be sweet if they would make a 1-piece starphire brace

tonyespinoza
04/12/2008, 05:48 AM
hey terry - the starphire eurobrace was not expensive - most of the manufacturers were willing to do that for no additional charge. i'm sure it's multiple pieces. doesn't make sense to me to waste a whole sheet like that...

tonyespinoza
04/12/2008, 07:26 AM
steve said: "I highly recommend the Deltec PF601S."

do you just like the build quality or are there particular features this deltec offers that you like better than, say, the Geo standards?

paulthomas
04/12/2008, 08:34 AM
I also highly recommend John at Kingfish Aquariums. He knows A.G.E. tanks well and has been great to work with... thus far. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/HouseHead/Avatars%20and%20Smilies/whistle1.gif

;)

Paul

Jar*Head
04/12/2008, 09:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12311455#post12311455 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tonyespinoza
steve said: "I highly recommend the Deltec PF601S."

do you just like the build quality or are there particular features this deltec offers that you like better than, say, the Geo standards?

Deltec using fluidize media rowalith C+, deliver high out put of alk. You have to run the reactor on pH controller.... You can get more info on the reactor from deltec forum....

tbone28
04/12/2008, 10:22 AM
Poor Tony is getting suggestions from us to buy this, and buy that!

Don't get AO, get AGE
Don't get GEO, get Deltec

:D

Tony is getting advice from equipment junkies ;)

Jar*Head
04/12/2008, 10:24 AM
I did not say don't get GEO.... It is also a good reactor just use different method...

Jflip2002
04/12/2008, 10:27 AM
But according to the advertisements on the top of my page the GEO Reactor is world famous! With either one, I dont think you can go wrong.

Jar*Head
04/12/2008, 10:34 AM
You got that right. GEO is the world famous. They made you reactor, most of the large tank are using GEO or the one made by Scott. I chose deltec because i like the fluidized method.

tonyespinoza
04/12/2008, 02:22 PM
so does the Geo 624 compare to the deltec PF601S? or put another way, which Geo should i compare to Steve's favorite deltec?

tbone28
04/12/2008, 03:11 PM
tony, I think what Steve likes about the Deltec is the fact that it uses a different media (Rowalith), which releases more Alk than a traditional ca reactor, which uses crushed coral

tonyespinoza
04/12/2008, 09:14 PM
yup - gotcha. question is, which Geo model should i consider for my tank (250g display, 400g system, SPS dominant)?

tbone28
04/12/2008, 09:34 PM
624, if you have the room for it.

Jar*Head
04/12/2008, 09:36 PM
Tony, YGPM...

tbone28
04/13/2008, 12:13 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=12316945#post12316945

tbone28
04/13/2008, 12:13 AM
dp

tonyespinoza
04/13/2008, 01:12 AM
funny... i saw that and thought of you... (doubt it's starphire tho.)

tbone28
04/13/2008, 01:15 AM
no, it looks like plate glass. but it *can* be done if you really want it

tonyespinoza
04/13/2008, 06:59 AM
so does the deltec calcium reactor require a peri feed pump?

just noticed another RC reefer is using one...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1348455

if this is an optimization, what's the benefit?

wmilas
04/13/2008, 07:43 AM
Speaking of Geo reactors I'm trying to pick one out also. Anyone know the size ratings for these things? I know the 624 models is 6 inch diameter 24 inches tall, but how does that relate to gallonage for a sps or mixed reef tank? Any recommendations?

Jar*Head
04/13/2008, 09:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12317540#post12317540 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tonyespinoza
so does the deltec calcium reactor require a peri feed pump?

just noticed another RC reefer is using one...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1348455

if this is an optimization, what's the benefit?

Tony, Deltec Ca reactor don't require a peri feed pump. All you need is an aqua lifter or small pump. For your system size, you will need the 601S which rated for 650g system. I have the 601S with an upgrade pump but i ended up with the PF1001.

tonyespinoza
04/13/2008, 01:09 PM
So I'm planning to have the external skimmer and Ca Reactor a few feet away from the tank. Anyone see any reason this would be a problem? The sump space under the tank will be basically Fuge, RDSB, remote live rock, and ATO water.

Jar*Head
04/13/2008, 01:23 PM
I don't see any problem with the protein skimmer and the Calcium reactor being away from the sump. Unless you plumb your protein skimmer return upward :D

I found 2 T-3 pumps for sale... :D
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1369191

GSMguy
04/13/2008, 01:45 PM
nice tank your planning here ill tag along.

i am ordering myself a CJstandpipe for my new tank glad i found the link.

Jar*Head
04/13/2008, 01:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12319464#post12319464 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
nice tank your planning here ill tag along.

i am ordering myself a CJstandpipe for my new tank glad i found the link.

You should have ask... I got my link from MakoJ. But you know i would share :D

tonyespinoza
04/13/2008, 02:22 PM
Nick (GSM) just brought up a cool idea via PM.

Go for 27" height and plan for 24" of water + wavebox...

Steve: do you think I could build custom wave boxes within a false wall, or do you think they need to be external like yours for some reason?

Wouldn't i want to go eurobraced if i were going with waves?

GSMguy
04/13/2008, 02:28 PM
well if your worried about you child getting in the tank, Terrys AGE eurobrace is darn attractive.

and long tanks with waves the fish seem up 2 2x more animated Even in my small tank as soon as i removed the vortech and its wave the fish stopped swimming around as much.
at one of my LFS they had a 600 G display that was always boring until they added one wavebox and it turned into a circus in there

i think the waves excites and animates the fish on top of its incredible ability to lift detritus.

the one think i will miss with my shallow tank is a the wave from the vortech.

Jar*Head
04/13/2008, 02:39 PM
Tony, you can do the wave box inside your false wall. as long as the top of the box is out of the water. If you decided to build a custom box within the false wall, make sure you get the proper length, height and make sure it sealed.

I agree with Nick on the height of the tank. Too bad he doesn't like me therefore he didn't send me an PM when i am getting ready to order my tank :D. The fish seem to be more active when you have some wave motion going :D.

You should go with euro brace even if you go with or without wave... It is always safer to have it JMO

GSMguy
04/13/2008, 02:42 PM
tony PMed me!

tbone28
04/13/2008, 02:42 PM
now steve likes T3 pumps? :lol: I bought one for the same price a couple months back as a backup pump. That's a great price

Graf-X
04/13/2008, 05:29 PM
With all this talk of CA reactors - do you guys suggest the Deltec or Geo over the KORALLIN C-3001/w ehiem? The Korallin at footprint - height: approx. 29"; Diameter: 4.5"; Ground: 6.25"; fits my undertank dims better than the other options. Sorry for the HJack tony.

tbone28
04/13/2008, 05:44 PM
I've heard that Korallins are hard to dial in

tonyespinoza
04/13/2008, 05:59 PM
feel free to hijack graf-x. i learn something from everything that comes up!

Graf-X
04/13/2008, 05:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12320718#post12320718 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbone28
I've heard that Korallins are hard to dial in

poo, thats no good. hrrm... maybe the Deltec PF501 would be a better option for me... I can prob squeeze that in. Did you make a CA reactor decision Tony?

tbone28
04/13/2008, 06:01 PM
Graf - not sure what your space limitations are, but I went with a GEO 612 because of space issues under my stand.

Graf-X
04/13/2008, 06:29 PM
the smallest GEO (612) will not work for me at a 9 x 10 foot print.... I have 8" width to work with (30" depth and 35" height)... think a Deltec PF501 over the Korallin?

Tony, did you decide on GEO 624?

tonyespinoza
04/13/2008, 06:43 PM
I haven't decided on the Ca Rx yet... Everyone says the Geo is easy and well supported -- I don't have any sense if the Deltec is easy to setup/run. I know the media needs to be changed more often, but that's about it. (I think Bart is about to set his up, so I'll be watching to see how it goes. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1179719&perpage=25&pagenumber=24)

tonyespinoza
04/13/2008, 06:45 PM
So how are you guys running your carbon? Passive? In a PhosBan reactor? In a fancier Geo, Deltec or PM up-flow reactor?

(I currently run mine in a Tunze 3167 comline unit, along with GFO.)

tbone28
04/13/2008, 07:00 PM
when I do run carbon, I run it passively. I stick a bag in between my baffles.

Edit: I'm not suggesting that this is the best way. it's just how I do it. Too lazy to buy equipment for it. Too lazy to change it out, etc

GSMguy
04/13/2008, 07:03 PM
passive carbon here

tonyespinoza
04/13/2008, 07:29 PM
i plan to run carbon all the time, prob in an upflow reactor at a decent clip. would like not to have to run GFO tho, hence the 75g fuge. i guess i'll wait to see how the BK does -- maybe it will polish the water so well i won't feel the need to run carbon...

tbone28
04/13/2008, 07:36 PM
Tony, my BK has cleared up the water column *noticably*. I no longer run carbon

Jflip2002
04/13/2008, 07:47 PM
Save it for your club thread! lol. So none of you guys run a phosban reactor? They seem cheap enough.

tonyespinoza
04/13/2008, 07:50 PM
[EDIT]
i'll PM ching (amazing rimless from Thailand) and see if he's running carbon (he runs a BK 300 Ext)... I'll let you know what I find. Ching has mentioned in his thread that he cares more for his corals than his fish -- and I'd have to put myself in the same nerd camp. :-)

tbone28
04/13/2008, 08:00 PM
Tony knows T-bone better than T-bone? :confused: :rolleyes:
Guess I don't know myself as much as I thought
Learn something new everyday :o

tonyespinoza
04/13/2008, 08:21 PM
Sorry T - I could be way off... :-)

[In fact, I take it back via edit above.]

tonyespinoza
04/13/2008, 08:38 PM
so - Ed responded to my question about using the peristaltic pump on the deltec Ca Rx...

"Great choice on the PF601S... you can feed it via a T-off with a ball valve to control, if you want to but over time it will just get choke and make your life miserable so I decided a peri pump was more trouble free.... avoid me from checking my CR water feed daily.... "

Given my total newbie-ness with regard to Ca Rx... Do you guys care to comment? Is he referring to a peristaltic pump similar to the Litermeter 3's I use now to dose? Why would the feed pump to the Ca Rx clog? I can see the effluent clogging... Sorry for the rookie questions!

-tE

tonyespinoza
04/13/2008, 09:43 PM
here's the explanation i got from Ed on why use a peristaltic pump:

"What you need is a consistent feed of water to the CR (at a slow rate) and that's is usually hard to achieve with the ball valve as the water drop will be inconsistent once it's slightly clog up and you ended up playing/ adjusting it almost every 2-3 days....I'm planning on using AB300 peristaltic pump for my feed. Sorry I'm not familiar with litermeter...maybe someone here can help/ advise better?"

i do remember that Naka said one of his keys to success was checking Alk very frequently and watching his Ca Rx closely (in addition to small regular water changes).

-tE

tonyespinoza
04/13/2008, 10:35 PM
hey steve - so does Tunze make more than one master recirculation pump? i love the low power consumption! i only see this one on the site:

Master electronic 1073.090
(1073.090)

Pumping capacity: 8,300 l/h
(2,190 US gal./h)
Energy consumption: 120 W
Pumping head: 5 m (196.8 in.)
Voltage / frequency: 230V/50Hz (115V/60Hz)
http://tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C=US&user_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter051

is this what you'd recommend on my tank?
at 2200 gph that would be about 5.5x turn over (or am I oversimplifying?)

Ed Reef
04/13/2008, 10:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12322503#post12322503 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tonyespinoza
here's the explanation i got from Ed on why use a peristaltic pump:

"What you need is a consistent feed of water to the CR (at a slow rate) and that's is usually hard to achieve with the ball valve as the water drop will be inconsistent once it's slightly clog up and you ended up playing/ adjusting it almost every 2-3 days....I'm planning on using AB300 peristaltic pump for my feed. Sorry I'm not familiar with litermeter...maybe someone here can help/ advise better?"

i do remember that Naka said one of his keys to success was checking Alk very frequently and watching his Ca Rx closely (in addition to small regular water changes).

-tE

tE, it's SP3000 instead of AP300... my bad... below is the website of the pump I used...

http://www.aqua-medic.com/dosing_pump.shtml

tonyespinoza
04/13/2008, 10:54 PM
Gotcha - it's very similar to a LM3... so i do know what that is. What flow rate do you think you'll set yours to feed the Ca Rx (or is it impossible to guess at this point)?

Ed Reef
04/13/2008, 10:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12317161#post12317161 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbone28
no, it looks like plate glass. but it *can* be done if you really want it

Yes, the eurobracing is normal 15mm glass but can used low iron if you want to, just more $$ :D

Ed Reef
04/13/2008, 10:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12323049#post12323049 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tonyespinoza
Gotcha - it's very similar to a LM3... so i do know what that is. What flow rate do you think you'll set yours to feed the Ca Rx (or is it impossible to guess at this point)?

There is variance speed pump in the market but more $ :) but this is a fix rated pump -would advise to used a PH probe inside the CR to control the amount of Ca going into the tank....

Cheers...

tonyespinoza
04/13/2008, 11:02 PM
right - a controller makes a lot of sense. thanks again ed!

Ed Reef
04/13/2008, 11:03 PM
Have u decided what controller to get?? If not, check out Profilux in the sponsor section as u can used it to control your Tunze as well.... that is what set this controller apart from the others....

I will be using this for my tank build.

tonyespinoza
04/13/2008, 11:08 PM
I've been using a Lighthouse controller which is good, but has one particular bug that makes me nuts. If you leave the menus active, it stops remembering to turn the lights on! I once left for a couple days with the menus up and the corals looked very sad when I got home. So no, I haven't decided yet. I do have a Tunze multi-controller. Ed, did you figure out the software problem you were having accessing the data from your computer? I seem to remember somewhere in your thread that you sent it back to Singapore for tech support.

Ed Reef
04/13/2008, 11:12 PM
Yeah, I have...seem my computer was having a driver issue...now all resolved and good. If you already have the multi-controller then no need for another controller I guess.... :)

Ed

tonyespinoza
04/14/2008, 10:02 AM
So Ching got back to me and says he runs carbon continuously inside a reactor. He recommends changing it once a month. This is basically the same thing I do in my current tank and plan to do so for the upgrade.

You can read more about Ching's amazing tank, here:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1053276

GSMguy
04/14/2008, 10:04 AM
i had ching email me pictures of his tank in high res. a few months ago, his tank is amazing

he is also a tunze addict like Jarhead and Terry.

Jar*Head
04/14/2008, 12:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12322898#post12322898 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tonyespinoza
hey steve - so does Tunze make more than one master recirculation pump? i love the low power consumption! i only see this one on the site:

Master electronic 1073.090
(1073.090)

Pumping capacity: 8,300 l/h
(2,190 US gal./h)
Energy consumption: 120 W
Pumping head: 5 m (196.8 in.)
Voltage / frequency: 230V/50Hz (115V/60Hz)
http://tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C=US&user_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter051

is this what you'd recommend on my tank?
at 2200 gph that would be about 5.5x turn over (or am I oversimplifying?)

Tunze has 4 series of master circulation. The smallest one pushing between 700-800gph then 2200gph then 3600-3800gph and the strongest one is 4200gph using 230w. You don't have to use all 2200gph for return. You can always split to feed Carbon reactor, fluidize reactor, chiller etc... My return pump feed the chiller, RDSB and possibly my zeovit reactor.... I try to get between 3-4x turn over rate....

GSMguy
04/14/2008, 01:16 PM
is it true that Tunze Master circulation pumps when run externally run cool to the touch?

Jar*Head
04/14/2008, 01:23 PM
Nick, yes the tunze run very cool. You can touch it at anytime and it is not even warm....

tonyespinoza
04/14/2008, 10:03 PM
Ching just got back to me... Interesting! He's running a BK Deluxe 300 External straight from the overflows and uses only a 528 GPH (2000LPH) return pump! That's 2x his display volume... He feeds his Fuge and Prop tank off a separate pump. Total system volume must be over 350g.

So the Tunze could be overkill on my system... and the advice that turned up on my other thread (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1369902) is that if you pass too much water to the skimmer you're not doing yourself any favors -- you're just surface skimming water faster than the skimmer can clean it and recirculating the gunk back into the water column...

So maybe all I need is an Aquabee Pump like Ching... :-)

Jar*Head
04/14/2008, 10:10 PM
Eheim 1260 or 1262 sound like a great option.

I don't know how well the AB will work as circulation pump but my AB 3000 that came with the Ca reactor sound like a lawn mower.

Ed Reef
04/14/2008, 10:14 PM
There is also Eheim 1264 (their largest unit) if you want slightly more flow, especially if you are planning to fed the skimmer, etc??

Jar*Head
04/14/2008, 10:16 PM
I have 2 eheim 1262 brand new i was going to use in the new tank but i change the plan. Let me know if you want one of them or both :D. I really like the eheim for quiet operation, low heat transfer, low energy consumption....

tonyespinoza
04/15/2008, 09:54 AM
woah - thanks for the heads up on the AB noise level! this is in the living room so it's gotta be silent. is the ehiem quiet or should i buy a red dragon? :-) let me know steve - i may be interested in both!

ed - i was going to feed the skimmer from the overflow, so this is the return pump. you guys correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the return pump determine the rate of flow through the skimmer?

GSMguy
04/15/2008, 10:01 AM
Tony the Eheim should be plenty quiet for you.

Jar*Head
04/15/2008, 10:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12333713#post12333713 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tonyespinoza
woah - thanks for the heads up on the AB noise level! this is in the living room so it's gotta be silent. is the ehiem quiet or should i buy a red dragon? :-) let me know steve - i may be interested in both!

ed - i was going to feed the skimmer from the overflow, so this is the return pump. you guys correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the return pump determine the rate of flow through the skimmer?

Tony, i don't think you will need 2 eheim 1262 because each produce 900gph. The Eheim pump run very quiet with low heat transfer...

I don't know how quiet the AB is when it is new or how durable it is as an circulation pump but it does not last long with the Ca reactor. Many people complain about the AB break down on them all the time. They said AB in germany just like Mag pump in U.S

tonyespinoza
04/15/2008, 04:35 PM
No - I was going to run one 1262 for the skimmer return and the other for my dual stage fuge...

Please PM me with a price.

Do you have any idea what the max flow rate is through a 1.5" drain?

Also, If I want to try the wavebox + extension, where should they be positioned? Okay to put one on each side of the overflow box? Do they need to be adjacent to the glass, or can they be 5 inches in? Reason I ask is that I was planning on having my Streams there beside the overflow (kinda like that TOTM by phocuz last year).

tonyespinoza
04/15/2008, 04:36 PM
What kind of flow rate do most of you run through your Fuge?

tonyespinoza
04/19/2008, 02:51 AM
ok... so it sounds like 300 - 400 GPH should be plenty for the fuge.

so, quick updates:

- i'm running across some folks who find the Deltec media a hassle to work with and are recommending the Geo or Schuran.

- steve has brought up the notion of the Geotronic chillers... which I'm intrigued by but concerned about the startup cost ($4000 for my tank vs. $800 for the outdoor Trade Wind (and I could just cut a hole to the exterior right where the tank is). not sure what to do here. would love to hear other's thoughts.

- getting some push back on dimensions from my wife... i may end up shortening it a little, but i'd like to keep the width. now thinking 60x36x26.

- decided to go with 400W SE bulbs in mini lumenarcs. i'm thinking 3 of them staggered across the width so the aquascaping doesn't have to be all down the middle (tank is 36" wide). then i'd just run a couple of VHO Actinics and be done with it.

- leaning towards a canopy now, so euro-bracing probably makes sense. maybe i should go with miracles, since they would probably make the canopy for me if i asked...

tonyespinoza
04/19/2008, 06:41 PM
Question for the fish experts:

If I were going to stock primarily anthias, how many do you suppose would be happy if I went with the larger size tank I'm considering: 74 x 36 x 26?

tonyespinoza
04/20/2008, 11:07 AM
posted to the reef fish forum and got a response on the anthias school question
(http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=12370873#post12370873)
-- turns out the TOTM 260g by Tom Obrecht housed 40 - 45 anthias! only difference is that it was a softie tank. here's the TOTM thread: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-05/totm/index.php

tonyespinoza
04/23/2008, 03:54 PM
Here's the latest plan:

* Tank is a little shorter, but taller (still nice and wide ;-)
- 60" x 36" x 30" tall
- Starphire Peninsula (front, back and one end)
- Internal overflow on other end
- 260g total water volume (28" waterline)
- High flow, bare-bottom

* Got an awesome deal on a pair of sfiligoi fixtures with extra wide spread (dual 400W lamps per 22" reflector!) -- 4 new electronic Ice Cap ballasts included. Thinking I may either run all Radiums or else each reflector running Radium + XM 10K.

* For cooling I'm thinking I will go with one Geotronic 900 plus a 1/2 HP Trade Wind outdoor chiller. My thinking is that the single Geotronic will be great at maintaining the temperature and the Trade Wind will be more of a back-up in case the temp swings out more than a couple degrees. Otherwise I'd be looking at a pair of Geotronics (like Steve) which is pricey (they're $2K each and the Trade Wind is only $800).

* Plumbing will be two 1.5" drains and two 1" returns. One drain will have a T and a ball valve and feed the skimmer directly (with the T feeding the sump). The other drain will go directly to a filter sock in the sump. The output of the Skimmer will go to the sump WITHOUT a filter sock (as per several recommendations to avoid back pressure on the skimmer). General sump flow will include RDSB, Fuge and High Flow Cryptic Zone. The return pump will be a Eheim 1262 and will feed a simple 4-way manifold for directing flow to Chiller, Ca Rx, GFO Rx, Carbon Rx, plus a utility output for acclimating fish and hosing down the sump. The rest will go back to the tank returns. Does this manifold make sense to folks? Will the 1262 handle it okay?

* Not planning on a Kalk Stirrer at the moment... will I regret this?

Jar*Head
04/23/2008, 04:10 PM
You can always add the kalk in the future...

GSMguy
04/23/2008, 04:14 PM
or a dosing pump and dose A B C elements

kalk might help at night later on.

tonyespinoza
04/23/2008, 10:47 PM
cool. thanks guys.

tonyespinoza
04/29/2008, 04:33 PM
I'm considering going a little wider to fit a couple more lights. Just ordered a pair of Sfiligoi modular T5HO's to put along side the Twin XR6 pendants. Also thinking now that I will have a net across the top (Tbone-style) except since my tank is not in-wall I'll need to come up with a nice frame to integrate the look of it (maybe using a thin frame made out of the same material as my stand will be clad in (TBD!)).

Also considering making the tank wider: 65 x 38 x 30. (300g display)

Jar*Head
04/29/2008, 04:56 PM
Why not 65x40x30? Another 2" will not change the price much IMO....

tonyespinoza
04/29/2008, 06:35 PM
might make sense... i'm a *little* worried about falling in tho... :-)

(asian curse...)

Jar*Head
04/30/2008, 06:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12435845#post12435845 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tonyespinoza
might make sense... i'm a *little* worried about falling in tho... :-)

(asian curse...)

No worry bro. You'll be alrite :D

tonyespinoza
04/30/2008, 08:48 PM
Turns out the 40" width does require 3/4" glass (even with eurobracing) so it does affect cost... gonna have to sleep on this one...

tonyespinoza
05/05/2008, 10:29 PM
Now that I'm thinking 40" wide, I should probably plan on having a centered Stream along the bottom of the tank.

The original internal overflow design would have given me room to hide streams (and wave boxes) along side the overflow (and my plan was to have the cladding for the stand run up along this end of the tank, similar to Ed's and last year's TOTM by Phocuz).

Now I'm wondering if I should go with dual overflows (one drain each) and leave a vertical column in the middle for Stream placement. The OF in this case would be the same depth as a Stream and so the unit would tuck right in (similar to the original plan).

Another option is to go with an external overflow and then use 5 Vortech's (plus the wave box and wave box extension).

Any thoughts?! Any idea of Tunze is going to make a Vortech "killer"?

-tE

Jar*Head
05/05/2008, 10:32 PM
Tony, the vortech will not interfere with the wavebox as long as you don't set your vortech to flow direct into the wavebox pump. Sound like you have everything figured out.

I vote for 40" wide :D

tonyespinoza
05/05/2008, 10:35 PM
Steve - You're too fast! I was just editing that post...

What do you think of the "dual" overflow idea? That way I could position a stream in the middle (or two, one at bottom and one at top).

?

Jar*Head
05/05/2008, 10:37 PM
Why not just one large EXT overflow? Dude, you pay big bucks for that tank... I would do ext on everything that i possibly can...

cbui2
05/05/2008, 10:39 PM
yep thats a nice display, ext overflow and waveboxes are a must. more room for corals and fishes to swim

Ed Reef
05/05/2008, 10:40 PM
If u can afford the space, 1 vote for 40" wide as well...u won't regret

tonyespinoza
05/05/2008, 10:47 PM
thanks for the encouragement!

yup - i'm thinking now: 65 x 40 x 30.

so if i go with an external overflow, i'm still gonna end up with waveboxes in the corners - each of which is a good 5" - 6" deep, right?

seems like i might as well go with an internal overflow... (or two)

Jar*Head
05/05/2008, 10:48 PM
Once you go wider, you will never want go back to 24". :D

tonyespinoza
05/05/2008, 10:49 PM
Also - with an external overflow along the short end of the peninsula, there's no way to get a vortech to sit in the middle/top part of the tank (dry side would be in the ext OF), so i end up with a big Tunze sitting there anyway... again, thinking internal OF makes more sense...

(And I don't have the balls to build custom waveboxes... I've never had one before and I'm afraid my wife is going to freak out when she hears it -- this tank is in our living room...)

Jar*Head
05/05/2008, 10:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12478901#post12478901 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tonyespinoza
thanks for the encouragement!

yup - i'm thinking now: 65 x 40 x 30.

so if i go with an external overflow, i'm still gonna end up with waveboxes in the corners - each of which is a good 5" - 6" deep, right?

seems like i might as well go with an internal overflow... (or two)

Why don't you do the Ext wavebox as well? I know AGE is working on Mike (Dudester) tank and they purchased the wavebox from Tunze to get the exact dimension.

tonyespinoza
05/05/2008, 11:04 PM
hm... just not sure the waveboxes will work out noise-wise.

tonyespinoza
05/05/2008, 11:13 PM
I figure since the tank is peninsula, it's not so bad to hide the OF, wave boxes, streams on the short end. Makes no visual difference once the stand is covered whether it's an internal or external OF.

Jar*Head
05/05/2008, 11:48 PM
Damn, i like the way you are making excuses for having your internal overflow box...:D

Ed Reef
05/05/2008, 11:53 PM
IMHO, my existing tank is with an internal overflow and I hated it.... with an external or a hidden overflow (like my new tank) it makes cleaning the overflow so much easier... just my 2cents... :)

cbui2
05/05/2008, 11:57 PM
all this talk got me thinking of an upgrade.

Jar*Head
05/05/2008, 11:57 PM
I VOTE FOR an EXT OVERFLOW

Jar*Head
05/05/2008, 11:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12479350#post12479350 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cbui2
all this talk got me thinking of an upgrade.

You should do an upgrade with the real aquarium company :D

cbui2
05/05/2008, 11:59 PM
:D sorry still a virgi

tonyespinoza
05/06/2008, 12:42 AM
heh - i really am not sure i understand how to make an external work with my system, so i'll draw it up in the next few days and see what you guys come up with as a fix...

tonyespinoza
05/10/2008, 11:19 PM
Anyone have any experience with Asternia stars? I just found some in my holding tank (where my SPS are living right now under a 400W minilumenarc). They are doing fine, but one was looking a little funny so I searched the scene and found this guy.

I went by Atlantis today to pick up so supplies and Joe mentioned that Asternias will eat hard corals... is this true!? If so, do I need to get some Harlequin shrimp to hunt them down!?