PDA

View Full Version : Bryopsis and lettuce nudibranchs(slugs)

pondy
04/10/2008, 02:11 PM
I was just wondering if any one has had success with getting a lettuce nudibranch to eat there bryopsis. I am thinking about doing this instead of trying to raise my mag levels. Dustin

pondy
04/10/2008, 08:02 PM
nobody???

snorvich
04/10/2008, 08:14 PM
I do not think that they do that.

Toddrtrex
04/10/2008, 08:38 PM
And what type of flow do you have in your tank?

I had a couple of them and after a week I got tired of pulling them out of the overflow since they kept getting blown off the rocks.

pondy
04/11/2008, 03:27 PM
from research it says that they are suppose to eat it. They are advertized to eat it. So here is for hopeing.

Todd did you have bryopsis? If so did your lettuce nudi eat it?

snorvich
04/11/2008, 03:37 PM
I tried the nudibranchs but as Todd said, they found it difficult going. But I was not using them for Bryopsis

nano mania
04/11/2008, 03:39 PM
I had a couple and they never touched the stuff.

greenbean36191
04/11/2008, 03:51 PM
Part of the problem is that there are least 3 species of slug sold as lettuce nudibranch. None of them are nudibranchs and only one, maybe two, of them "eat" Bryopsis and it may or may not be their preferred food. Bottom line, theres a high probability that your slugs won't touch the stuff. They also don't feed like most other snails, so don't expect to see big swaths of algae disappear even if they do eat it. What these guys do is pierce the algal cells and suck some of the juice out. Sometimes the algae dies and sometimes it doesn't.

pondy
04/11/2008, 05:10 PM
greenbeans. Thanks for your info. I did know that they sucked the cloroplast out of the bryopsis and it would look a ton better if it just did a little. I am not looking for an over night thing. Just want something to eat it. Hopefully I can get some and hopefully they will eat it.