PDA

View Full Version : Received a broken skimmer from E-bay...

SHOmuchFUN
04/11/2008, 10:29 PM
Bought a protein skimmer on E-bay for my saltwater fish tank (for those that didn't know what a protein skimmer was for.

It was a risk...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270226256997&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

Only one picture, with little details. The seller was actually very responsive to a few of my questions, so I felt a little better about it. Upon getting the skimmer, I knew immediately that I was in for it.

This was the first thing I noticed:
http://www.erikengstrom.net/33L/skimmer_damage/IMG_0396%28Small%29.jpg
http://www.erikengstrom.net/33L/skimmer_damage/IMG_0397%28Small%29.jpg
The internal acrylic column was cracked :mad:

Next thing I noticed was that it included two pumps... A MJ1000 (I assume the original) and a MJ900. But I took the head off and found the impeller was a stock MJ impeller and not the Deltec modified mesh wheel impeller that it's supposed to have....
http://www.erikengstrom.net/33L/skimmer_damage/IMG_0398%28Small%29.jpg
http://www.erikengstrom.net/33L/skimmer_damage/IMG_0400%28Small%29.jpg

The back of the unit also had multiple cracks. Once I tried to put the pump/acrylic column into the skimmer, I found it wasn't holding water and was actually making the cracks worse :mad:
http://www.erikengstrom.net/33L/skimmer_damage/IMG_0402%28Small%29.jpg
http://www.erikengstrom.net/33L/skimmer_damage/IMG_0403%28Small%29.jpg

I sent a message to the seller through E-bay and have filed a dispute with paypal that the item was not as described (should've said that the unit was cracked in multiple places, regardless of whether or not the unit held water before or after I placed the pump in the skimmer's body). I offered to eat shipping charges to send the unit back to the seller...

So I have a few questions... If I'm stuck with this unit, will JB Weld work in the cracks to seal them? The cracks and the incorrect pump/impellar are really the only things wrong with the unit as far as I can see. If I can fix the cracks and get the correct impeller, I guess I won't be as upset as I am right now :mad2:

SHOmuchFUN
04/11/2008, 10:42 PM
Sorry, instead of JB WELD, I meant weldon...

One of the runny solvents that is used to glue/fuse pieces together, like what's used for gluing acrylic panels for tanks/sumps/skimmers.

george81
04/11/2008, 10:47 PM
thats the joy of ebay...save $1 and buy headaches....hope other people use this as an example to NOT buy equipment for you re tank off ebay.

thats too bad, it could have been damaged during shipping and if you didnt get insurance...you re stuck with it, hopefully you got insurance.

mike_777
04/11/2008, 11:52 PM
Try to use the gel like weld-on, I believe #16. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

madreefer14
04/12/2008, 12:27 AM
That sux! I personally would use the liquid weld-on. It will work into the cracks better that the gel due to capilary fill. If you are going to buy equipment for your tank on ebay, might I reccomend http://myworld.ebay.com/dealsforyourpets/ I have had very good luck with this seller. All of there items are VERY accurately described. NO supprises, Period. I have purchased several skimmers from him and all were just as described. If the item is used be sure to ask questions as you did but spesificaly if any items are dammaged and be sure to go thru ebay and not your e-mail. That way you at least have some recourse if your questions are not answered accurately. Sorry about your luck. Hope this helps.

Mojo Jojo
04/12/2008, 12:34 AM
Tough loss bro did the MJ 1k have the right impeller? If you dont mind can you take a pic of it?

SHOmuchFUN
04/12/2008, 06:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12310999#post12310999 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by madreefer14
That sux! I personally would use the liquid weld-on. It will work into the cracks better that the gel due to capilary fill. If you are going to buy equipment for your tank on ebay, might I reccomend http://myworld.ebay.com/dealsforyourpets/ I have had very good luck with this seller. All of there items are VERY accurately described. NO supprises, Period. I have purchased several skimmers from him and all were just as described. If the item is used be sure to ask questions as you did but spesificaly if any items are dammaged and be sure to go thru ebay and not your e-mail. That way you at least have some recourse if your questions are not answered accurately. Sorry about your luck. Hope this helps.
Thanks madreefer...
I was thinking the same thing about the liquid weld-on... The glue will have to penetrate the crack to seal it. The unfortunate thing is that the back of the skimmer is rounded, not square, so I cannot simple glue a small square of acrylic to the back to seal it and make it stronger.

All of my questions to the seller both prior and after the auction ending have been through E-bay and the paypal resolution center. So everything *SHOULD* be documented. But it's my word vs. his, which really sucks. I do have pictures, but timeframes cannot be proven.

Mojo - There was only one impeller. I received two pump body's, but only one venturi and one impeller shaft, which I believe to be the wrong imeller (not a needle wheel).

madreefer14
04/12/2008, 06:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12311503#post12311503 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SHOmuchFUN
Thanks madreefer...
I was thinking the same thing about the liquid weld-on... The glue will have to penetrate the crack to seal it. The unfortunate thing is that the back of the skimmer is rounded, not square, so I cannot simple glue a small square of acrylic to the back to seal it and make it stronger.

Go to one of your local glass shops that also work with acrylic and ask for an applicator for the liquid weld on. The capilary action of the glue should be enough to seal it. If they dont have one, find a friend who is in healthcare and ask them to get you a 5cc syringe and a 22 gage needle. HTH

Saboral
04/12/2008, 06:58 AM
That definately is not a needle wheel. A needle wheel looks more look a jagged/deformed impeller paddle. That is the standard impeller. Tough luck man, I have had my share of troubles on eBay, but in the end I only buy from power sellers and I keep a long document trail. So far I've been screwed 4 times and the most recent 3 times resulted in either a refund or the sellers local sheriff giving the seller a ride to a new place to crash for 30 days or so.

SHOmuchFUN
04/12/2008, 07:21 AM
Question...
The seller said that he/she was going to clean it off with diluted muriatic acid before shipment. Would this have weakened the acrylic and caused it to become brittle? There are stress cracks all over this thing...

Saboral, thanks for the reply. I'm not going to subject this person to the local pen over $170, but the instillation of fear is never a bad thing ;)

mike_777
04/12/2008, 08:13 AM
Becareful with the liquid weldon on some of the cracks. I know depending on the depth of the crack, there will be some crazing of the acrylic and might ''spider' out. At least that's what my experience was.

Mojo Jojo
04/12/2008, 10:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12311503#post12311503 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SHOmuchFUN

Mojo - There was only one impeller. I received two pump body's, but only one venturi and one impeller shaft, which I believe to be the wrong imeller (not a needle wheel).

:eek1: ok before doing anything .... RETURN IT FILL A PP CLAIM ASAP!!! If you received this impeller this skimmer is worthless IMO. The impeller is what makes the skimmer in the first place.

This is why I stray away from Ebay. Some people are just plain cheap like this. My theory is his impeller screwed up. He went out to buy a MJ and put the pump in. When he saw that the bubbles/skim was not how it used to be... THEN!... He decided to put this skimmer on Ebay in hope to buy either a bigger or new version of this skimmer. Just wrong :(

Alto
04/12/2008, 10:27 AM
You wont be stuck with the unit pay pal will have you ship it back to the seller and your money will be refunded when it is received. I have had to dispute a purchase and it takes a while but its very easy. You definately will get your money back on that unless the seller disclosed the cracks or said it doesnt hold water, then you are screwed.

SHOmuchFUN
04/12/2008, 11:18 AM
Seller states that he is going to refund me the money upon returning the skimmer to him.

I'm hoping it's not a trap.

tgreene
04/12/2008, 11:55 AM
Send it CERTIFIED MAIL with RETURN RECEIPT and insured for $200 since you paid $170, along with a copy of his agreement to refund upon receipt. Also, be sure to photograph every step of the packaging process and his agreement. If he does screw you over, then you'll have full documentation and can get the Feds involved since it was handled via USPS.

FWIW though, a few years ago I bought a digicam from some guy that claimed it was NEW IN BOX, and I paid an extra $25 for USPS OVERNIGHT... What I received a week and a half later was a digicam with a broken case, a worn out battery, and no box or paperwork. I was beyond ****ed to say the least, so I traced the package back through the UPS shipping center where it was shipped from, and within an hour I was on the phone with the mother of the 16 year old scumbag that ripped me off... I made sure that she was fully aware that since he signed up using her credit card, that she could be held legally liable for felony fraud that her son committed.... She called her husband home from work, and then I received another call with the whole family on the line and the boy was crying and offering to refund 125% of my money and shipping, and also said for me to keep the camera. I asked only for the amount to buy a replacement "parts" camera, that I would use to build up a good one, and I also wanted my shipping refunded down to the regular shipping fees. I also demanded that he leave feedback stating the he the seller defrauded the buyer, and his mother actually make him write just that! :D

Anyways, best of luck!

-Tim

SHOmuchFUN
04/12/2008, 03:25 PM
Tim...
Thank you very much for the reply.

I have all of his E-mails documented through E-bay messaging, so paypal can do an investigation if need be. I made sure to take some extra pictures of the unit before it was sent, so he cannot claim anything else other than what I have received. I sent the unit through UPS and made sure to get the tracking number. I will post the tracking number on the Paypal dispute page. I am also making an HTML document that has all the pictures on it, so I post those on the E-bay/Paypal messages so that whomever reviews the case can see the pictures through the HTML link ;)

All paypal will have to see is that I sent the unit back and it was received via the tracking number.

I'll keep everyone updated.

SHOmuchFUN
04/12/2008, 03:26 PM
Tim...
Thank you very much for the reply.

I have all of his E-mails documented through E-bay messaging, so paypal can do an investigation if need be. I made sure to take some extra pictures of the unit before it was sent, so he cannot claim anything else other than what I have received. I sent the unit through UPS and made sure to get the tracking number and insured it for the full amount of the unit new ($300) in case the scumbag claims that it was even more damaged in the mail and now he's out the entire cost of the skimmer. I will post the tracking number on the Paypal dispute page which will say that the unit has been delivered.. I am also making an HTML document that has all the pictures on it, so I post those on the E-bay/Paypal messages so that whomever reviews the case can see the pictures through the HTML link ;)

All paypal will have to see is that I sent the unit back and it was received via the tracking number.

I'll keep everyone updated.

SHOmuchFUN
04/21/2008, 08:04 AM
Seller refunded my money and all is well.
In his defense, he was fairly responsive, aside from being out of town for a few days.

Just wanted to clear the air.

tgreene
04/21/2008, 08:17 AM
I'm glad that it was able to work out for you in the end...

-Tim

kcress
04/21/2008, 01:26 PM
I'm glad you carried thru tgreene. You probably improved that kid dramatically. Nice life lesson for him. Glad his parents got up to bat too.

madreefer14
04/21/2008, 07:38 PM
Nothing like a good reality check to rattle some cages and shake dead leaves off the tree!

A.T.T.R
04/21/2008, 07:47 PM
btw
shipper is responsiable for insurance..
not the reciever! if htey didnt put it on there ( even if you said no to it) its still the SHIPPERS problom