PDA

View Full Version : Artificial corals

Spotted Leopard
04/12/2008, 01:17 AM
Are there any companies that make realistic looking artificial corals?

Aqua-World PITT
04/12/2008, 04:38 PM
Ummm... I work at a LFS and I am the saltwater manager. I have had a few customers asking for fake corals. There arn't any that look real. If you think about it even if there was; algae and coralline will grow on it and will be a pain to get off especially coralline. Most of them that they make is either plastic or some kind of rock. It's not worth it unless you clean your ornaments so often that coralline can't grow on it, or buy new ornaments every time they get covered in coralline. I would just go and setup a real reef. You will be happier in the long run if done right.

DirtyHermit
04/12/2008, 04:40 PM
Try cheap/hardy corals, you'd be amazed how hardy some are. ;)

b16drag
04/12/2008, 04:52 PM
Why dont you just get some brightly colored zoas and softies. The fake ornamentals would probably cost as much or even more than some of the real corals...

Spotted Leopard
04/12/2008, 08:13 PM
well it's not that keeping real corals is hard...it's just that I like a lot of fish that aren't considered reef safe, yet I want a reef setting :D

Lotus99
04/13/2008, 12:21 AM
There are some fake corals that aren't too bad. Have a look at Drs. Foster & Smith's decor section. The Walt Smith ones look OK. I think you could probably have something that looks alright.