PDA

View Full Version : High Ph... Issues?

ooja3k
04/12/2008, 06:10 PM
I have a pretty high Ph. On my API test kit, it reads above the 8.4, and close to the 8.8, but not quite there.

Is a Ph this high bad??

I think its so high because of my automatic dosing of 2part.

My alk is 10dkh and calc 475.

Any help would be great!

kenargo
04/12/2008, 07:16 PM
Have you looked at this article:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.php

bertoni
04/12/2008, 08:12 PM
What's being dosed into the system, if anything?

Measurement errors are fairly common for pH issues. You might want to get a second opinion. That article should help, as well.

ConsultantERP
04/12/2008, 08:48 PM
If I'm not mistaking Recipe #1 of Randys two part will cause a temporary ph rise. I used it and my ph stayed about the same as yours. Recently I started using Recipe #2 and my PH stays around 8.3. You can only dissolve half as much baking soda (not baked in the oven) as you can the (baked) Recipe #2.

ooja3k
04/12/2008, 08:57 PM
I have an auto doser dosing my bionic 2 part for me. That would make sense that the ph would be high-ish then.

I think I will pick up a more precise ph test kit tomorrow and check it to see where its at..

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/13/2008, 06:19 AM
Most likely it is not too high. If it is not over 8.5, then I wouldn't worry about it. Excessive pH is rare if not using limewater. :)

ooja3k
04/13/2008, 09:27 AM
Ya, I read an article (I think it was yours randy) discussing high ph..

My ph in the past has always been 8.2 (before i started auto dosing 2 part), but I tested a couple days ago just to see where it was at and it was 8.5ish... According to my api ph test. Im not seeing an precipitation of anything, so im thinking my ph isn't that high.

Also, recently I upgraded my lighting, so i had a couple layers of screening on top of the tank, obviously restricting airflow at the surface. (This could explain the raise in ph too.) In addition to dosing b-ionic automatically, the combination of these 2 things probably lifted my ph a little, but not into the "too high range."

I noticed in your other post in my other thread regarding 2 part dosing, randy, that you said that b-ionic by itself will not raise the ph too high. The b-ionic is exactly what I thought was lifting it soo high, and now that I know that its not, im guessing it was the decreased surface air movement, due to the screening.

Does that sound right?

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/13/2008, 09:48 AM
Too much b-ionic at once will raise ph too high, but my point was that folks using B-ionic appropriately do not usually have pH so high that they need to take corrective action. More aeration is always a fine plan of action. :)

ooja3k
04/13/2008, 10:30 AM
ya im not dosing all the b-ionic at once. i am dosing 1.5ml every 3 hours..

that should be fine right?

also, how would I increase aeration?? I have tons of surface agitation and my skimmer runs 24/7

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/13/2008, 12:55 PM
Yes, that should be fine. :)

Some ways to increase aeration are opening a sump top, a tank top if enclosed tightly, bigger skimmer, airstone in sump, etc. :)

ooja3k
04/13/2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks for all the help!

What level of Ph would you say is to high, and what is the most accurate ph test kit that you know of?

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/14/2008, 10:10 AM
I would not want the ph to spend a lot of time above pH 8.55. My tank often runs 8.35 to 8.5.

I do not think that pH kits are very accurate, and would strongly recommend a ph meter. Even a cheap one with two point calibration is likely very accurate and is easily checked with a standard buffer. Kits are not so easy to check and cannot be calibrated if off.

This article has more:

The "How To" Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 3: pH
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/index.php