PDA

View Full Version : Overflow questions

davocean
04/12/2008, 08:25 PM
OK, first off my current tank is failing at the seam, so I'm doing a scramble to replace it ASAP.
I found an acrylic 180 w/ dual corner over flows.
At present there are 2 holes drilled at bottom, one drain, one return each.
Drain holes land right on 4x4 posts of my stand.
I can make a jig to drill returns bigger, and that should clear, and drill return on back.
Or, should I just cap w/ acrylic plate, and drill both on back?
And if I do that, how should I do drain so I can use a durso or something to keep drain quiet?
TIA

davocean
04/13/2008, 10:41 AM
Maybe a pic would help me get some good advice here.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e141/mermail/Brandnew180.jpg

davocean
04/13/2008, 03:20 PM
Wow, 41 views and not one comment?!
Oh well, figuring it out in case anyone else is dealing w/ something similar.
My plan is to cap drain hole w/ a piece of acrylic, and drill back w/ an elbow and a slide in durso so I can adjust, and keep return hole so I can go straight up w/ least amount of turns.

davocean
04/13/2008, 05:01 PM
Geez louise, 54 views and not one comment?
I think that's a record for me here!
Call me a bad name, or something!LOL
I better change my avatar to a hot chick, just so I get a response!

saltyseaman
04/13/2008, 05:49 PM
I would cap the holes and drill in back. If you get a leaky bulkhead or something you won't have any room to work with it to fix it if it is as close to that 4x4 as I imagine.

For the Durso, just drill a hole in the back of the tank towards the bottom inside the overflow box. Put a 90 on the inside pointing toward the surface, and a 90 on the outside pointing towards the sump. THe rest should be just like a normal durso.

Drilling the return is up to you. You can put it inside the overflow box or on the back of the tank. I would put it on the back on the opposite side of the overflow so that the dirtiest water goes into the overflow, but that's a personal preference.

davocean
04/13/2008, 08:07 PM
Cool, thanks Salty!