PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermade Agricultural tubs

reefeasy
04/13/2008, 08:51 AM
Does anyone have any expierence with the black Rubbermade Agricultural tubs? Any problems with the material its made from?

kfisc
04/13/2008, 09:28 AM
Do you mean the stock tanks? Many people use them; I have for years and wouldn't do a sump without one- they're obviously critter-friendly as they're designed as watering troughs for cows/horses/sheep etc.

I have the 40-gallon model; it's about eight-10 inches high and nothing compares for ease of moving stuff around, water flow, skimmer placement, and it's great not having to worry about floods from backflow if the power goes because it's deep enough to catch everything.

A real hitch is the room it takes- I've always had basement tanks so no matter- also, you can't divide them up as easily as an aquarium for refugium sections.

jennmac415
04/13/2008, 12:28 PM
I just recently went form a 75 gallon sump/fuge to a 100 gallon stock tank... I will hopefully NEVER have to use a standard glass tank sump again! I love all the room and ease of taking out pumps, skimmers etc... for cleaning. also, an added plus is more water volume. I am lucky enough to have an inwall tank in my basement , so the entire room behind is my fishroom, so the size of the stock tank is not an issue. Like I said, I hope to always be able to use one of these.

jennmac415
04/13/2008, 12:32 PM
to conquer the lack of ability to have baffles for a separate fuge, I simply added a small glass tank inside the stock tank, taller than the water level I keep in the stock tank, I put my chaeto, rock rubble in it and have a small powerhead feeding water to it from the main stock tank... it simply becomes like a baffle and the water gently cascades over the sides and down into the stock tank. works great so far...I am going to start taking out some of my sandbed from my DT soon as I do not want such a deep level and I will then add this extra sand to this "fuge"