PDA

View Full Version : coral banded shrimp

andy321
04/13/2008, 10:23 AM
I have heard they wont eat fish and that they will I would just like to know which is true

ducklabdad
04/13/2008, 05:24 PM
My personal experience is the coral banded shrimp I have had for 5 months now, ate my yellow clown gobie, which has been my only fish loss.

Tennyson
04/13/2008, 07:10 PM
I have a large coral banded, it hasnt eaten my yellow clown goby. It might have been in a small tank or the host wasnt big enough. But my coral banded doesnt harm any of my fish, maybe chase them if they get near but thats it.

jacksonimaging
04/14/2008, 11:23 AM
I have a large Coral Banded shrimp as well. He is a great cleaner and has not eaten anything he shouldn't. I will hand feed mine seaweed, chunks of people shrimp, and other meaty foods. He also grabs frozen foods as well. They may eat other shrimp though. Good Luck!

Bobby_Digital
04/15/2008, 10:20 AM
I think I have pretty much narrowed down a couple of deaths to my Coral Banded Shrimp.

I have mysteriously lost 2 perfectly healthy fish, a Royal Gramma and a Firefish.

I'm wondering if he is underfed, or if a 29gal is too small. I mean, I think we all know they are territorial, and I'll see him chase fish off, but I havent actually seen him catch anybody...

Tennyson
04/15/2008, 03:26 PM
Mine is underfed probably more than yours, I feed maybe once every 1 1/2-2 weeks, its starving and it doesn't eat anything. And yes, I know I'm lazy.

Your Royal Gramma and Firefish are both very quick fish that live in caves so they are very safe from Coral Banded Shrimp during night and day, I doubt it could have caught and eaten them. They are also likely to jump out of the tank more than other fish, so I wouldn't just blame the coral banded shrimp.

I have said previously on other posts relating to this that a 35 gallon tank is too small or just around the size tank a coral banded could fit in. Plus there are other fish in the tank so you could also be putting your fish in a death tank with a hungry coral banded shrimp.

these are all different answers, but I think it wouldn't have been able to catch a gramma and a firefish which are both very quick fish that hide in rocks. And they could have jumped out.

GoingPostal
04/15/2008, 05:39 PM
I had a CBS for years in a 33 gallon with lots of rock, a cleaner shrimp, and several small fish. Never had a problem, but he recently died, not sure how long they usually live. I really liked mine. He'd posture at fish who came near and chase the cleaner but had zero chance of catching him.

Bobby_Digital
04/16/2008, 06:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12336078#post12336078 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tennyson
Mine is underfed probably more than yours, I feed maybe once every 1 1/2-2 weeks, its starving and it doesn't eat anything. And yes, I know I'm lazy.

Your Royal Gramma and Firefish are both very quick fish that live in caves so they are very safe from Coral Banded Shrimp during night and day, I doubt it could have caught and eaten them. They are also likely to jump out of the tank more than other fish, so I wouldn't just blame the coral banded shrimp.

I have said previously on other posts relating to this that a 35 gallon tank is too small or just around the size tank a coral banded could fit in. Plus there are other fish in the tank so you could also be putting your fish in a death tank with a hungry coral banded shrimp.

these are all different answers, but I think it wouldn't have been able to catch a gramma and a firefish which are both very quick fish that hide in rocks. And they could have jumped out.

Yeah, I hear ya. They didnt jump out though, I had to reach in and pull both of them out. I agree that they are both fast, and live in caves, and the CBS is pretty slow and clumsy. Its just odd that these guys showed up dead one morning (not at the same time...) They both had been partially eaten, but I understand that what ever ate them, didnt necessarily kill them.

Well, I'm moving them to a 50 breeder soon, so maybe I'll have different (better) results...

Tennyson
04/16/2008, 04:29 PM
Hmm, thats strange that they died for no reason. I have had the same problem with the same fish. I have asked questions before in the reef fishes section, and they said it could be a side affect of the drug they use to collect the fish that makes them all weird.

Bobby_Digital
04/16/2008, 04:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12344641#post12344641 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tennyson
Hmm, thats strange that they died for no reason. I have had the same problem with the same fish. I have asked questions before in the reef fishes section, and they said it could be a side affect of the drug they use to collect the fish that makes them all weird.

Yeah, theres that too, what a shame:(

Yeah, I dont know, maybe I'll set up some video surveillance and keep and eye on him!

Canarygirl
04/16/2008, 04:48 PM
I had one and lost two fish to it.