PDA

View Full Version : what fish eats hair algea

jaydub74
04/13/2008, 02:10 PM
Is there a fish out there that will eat hair algea, I have a 24 gallon tank that needs a little help?

reefnetworth
04/13/2008, 02:36 PM
a lawnmower blenny is about all you could put in a 24G. the alga has to be short/hand pulled, it will not eat long GHA.
a FoxFace Lo will devour it but your tank is way to small.

Bambalam
04/13/2008, 02:43 PM
I know this has been said many times, but the best way to get rid of hair algae is to find out what's causing it. High phosphates, tap water and overfeeding are all probable causes.

Grey Reefer
04/13/2008, 02:48 PM
Better husbandry is the best way to fight GHA. I would guess something is off in the tank. Have you tested your water parameters? Adding a fish might just put a band-aid over the problem. LMB will eat short GHA. Mexican Turbo snails are also good along with red legged hermits. I don't recommend emerald crabs, too lazy and can be a threat to other tank inhabitants once they get big enough.

jaydub74
04/13/2008, 04:40 PM
I wish I could find the reason for the hair algrea, my guess is high phosphates but Im not sure.

I use RO/DI bottled water - always have.
As for overfeeding, I probably underfeed. I only give the fish what they take out of my hand - nothing is left floating around the tank.

I also do 20% water changes everyweek and blow the rocks off with a powerhead. I'm not sure what else I can do?

The GHA is short at the moment maybe I should look at a lawnmower blenny for the time being and then return him to the store after clean-up.

downhillbiker
04/13/2008, 04:40 PM
rainford's goby's are the best looking of the hair algae eaters in my opinion.

xJake
04/13/2008, 04:55 PM
How long are you running your lights? Many times when you don't have many photosynthetic organisms in your tank such as coral or macroalgae different types of microalgae start to form from the excess light. You should run your lights for no more than 12 hours/day and if you wish you can run them for as little as 6 (maybe even four depending on your inhabitants). I run the MH's on my tank for 8 hours and the actinics for 10. I use tap water and I have almost no nuisance algae although I do run a rather large refugium. If you are in check on all of these things including using RO/DI water then I would suggest adding more herbivores such as a Lawnmower Blenny and maybe some hermits and snails.