PDA

View Full Version : Bonding acrylic to HDPE?

Newreeflady
04/13/2008, 02:16 PM
I want to create dividers in a Rubbermaid cooler that I am using as a portable travel aquarium to take my critters across the country.

Can I use silicon to put the dividers in? It shouldn't have to support weight since water will flow through all dividers. If not, what should I use?

All I have so far is the cooler. I am going to go to TAP to pick up some scrap acrylic which I assume I can cut with a Dremel. Open to suggestions.

thx,
-A

sfsuphysics
04/13/2008, 04:06 PM
If you simply need dividers I would suggest egg crate, assuming most of your critters are larger than the holes. Plus it'd give the added benefit of allowing water flow to get through so one area doesn't become a dead zone from lack of oxygen.. (stopping and accelerating in the car should provide some ok water movement :D although I would suggest an airstone in there...)

As to how to connect, simply use some superglue gel and glue a dab at a few points on either side, should work fine for holding a fish back, and you can easily break them free (regardless of what they say, superglue gel doesn't bond that well)

Newreeflady
04/14/2008, 01:19 PM
good idea, I thought about that as well. I want to create some divider cages for the coral, do you think this stuff will scrape them up? Also, if the fish hit it will it scratch them? Those were my only concerns. Thoughts?

thx,
-A