PDA

View Full Version : dosing question

john90009
04/13/2008, 04:23 PM
Im new to sps i have lps in my tank and i dose with a 2 part sollution. Now that i have halides on the tank i want to go clams and sps. I would like to know if it would be cheaper+ easier to control levels with just straight out adding kalk because i dont have an reactors. Any advise will help, i was wondering if anyone had sps tanks and dosing by them selfs without a reactor?

qfrisco
04/14/2008, 01:55 PM
I'm somewhat in the same boat. I do 2-part right now, and have researched the various calcium dosing options. From what I've read, the easiest thing to do, outside of dosing 2-part every day or so, is to just drip kalk. You don't need a reactor, pumps, etc.

Here's an article I found on an easy DYI kalk dripper: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/nftt/index.php

This is what I'll probably switch to in the next few weeks.

tmz
04/14/2008, 02:30 PM
Dripping limewater(kalk/calcium hydroxide) is a very good way to supplement alkalinity and calcium. If you drip it at night it will have the added effect of minimizing the nightime ph drop since it takes up CO2. I use to drip mine with a 5 gallon bucket and some airline tubing and a vlave. It worked fine but for convenience, I have upgaded to a dosing pump from a still resevoir( a 32 gallon Brute garbage can.)

qfrisco
04/14/2008, 02:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12327571#post12327571 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tmz
Dripping limewater(kalk/calcium hydroxide) is a very good way to supplement alkalinity and calcium. If you drip it at night it will have the added effect of minimizing the nightime ph drop since it takes up CO2. I use to drip mine with a 5 gallon bucket and some airline tubing and a vlave. It worked fine but for convenience, I have upgaded to a dosing pump from a still resevoir( a 32 gallon Brute garbage can.)

tmz - when you were using a 5 gallon bucket, how long did it last before you had to refill it? And what size tank did you use it on?

tmz
04/14/2008, 06:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12327636#post12327636 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by qfrisco
tmz - when you were using a 5 gallon bucket, how long did it last before you had to refill it? And what size tank did you use it on? :) I filled the salt buckett in the morning stirred it ,covered it and dripped about 4 gallons a night of fully saturated limewater(ie 2 tsps per gallon) into the sump of a 400gal system.This approximately equaled my top off.I did this for about a year with good results. You can mix as infrequently as once every 7-10 days without losing significant strength,if you cover the container.You can dose about a quart of fully saturated limewater in a one hour period without spiking ph.

I set the buckett above the sump. A small hole was drilled about 1.5 inches above the bottom. A small 3 inch piece of rigid airline tube was tightly fitted in this hole and glued over on the outside with Plumber's Goop. Flexible airline tubing was fitted over the protrucdng rigid tubing and a plastic airline valve was added to control the flow of the drip.

Aquarist007
04/14/2008, 06:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12320576#post12320576 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by john90009
Im new to sps i have lps in my tank and i dose with a 2 part sollution. Now that i have halides on the tank i want to go clams and sps. I would like to know if it would be cheaper+ easier to control levels with just straight out adding kalk because i dont have an reactors. Any advise will help, i was wondering if anyone had sps tanks and dosing by them selfs without a reactor?

IMO keep using the two part until you find it uneconomical to use--you will be suprised at how far you can last with it.

I have had two nice size clams for 2 years now--they have never made a big draw on calcium. since xmas I have added 4 sps corals and it still has not affected my daily dosage of two part.