PDA

View Full Version : Fish keep dying

mikecfd52
04/13/2008, 08:30 PM
I have a 36 gallon tank since January. I stocked it with live rock, live sand and 2 clownfish and 2 blue damsels. I removed the damsels due to being too aggressive. Since then I have tried, on seperate occassions, to add 3 Angels, not at same time, a dottyback twice and a lawnmower bleeny. All of these fish have died within 24 hours. The clowns are still alive. Ph, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and temp are excellent. Just switched to spring water from tap water with dechloronate in it with no luck. Is there something I am missing? Any suggestions?

D to the P
04/13/2008, 08:34 PM
How well did you acclimate the fish?
How long were they at your LFS?
Were your levels perfect when you added them?
Were they just dead, or did they look damaged?
What do you have for water circulation, and filtration?
There is a possibility that something was put into your tank via the tap water that the dechloronater didn't take care of.

Avi
04/13/2008, 08:57 PM
Were the fish eating in the fish store before you acquired them?

Konadog
04/13/2008, 09:07 PM
Within 24 hours could be your LFS. You might try a different store. Bring in some water so that they can test if before you purchase a fish just to be on the safe side.

And[welcome]

supertech3
04/13/2008, 10:13 PM
You may want to wait awhile before adding a new fish so things can clear up if somehting is wrong.( a month) How big are the fish that you are trying to add? they may be to large to acclimate to your tank, the others posts are also things that I would try

Toddrtrex
04/13/2008, 10:18 PM
You say your water is excellent but real numbers would help, just in case something is off. Also what is your salinity, and temp.

conjuay
04/13/2008, 10:57 PM
I know your pain, I can't keep a Flame angel alive for more than a week, yet everything else is fine....:confused:

mikecfd52
04/14/2008, 05:30 PM
What is the best way to acclimate new fish? I don't have a quarintine tank.

Aquarist007
04/14/2008, 05:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12328971#post12328971 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mikecfd52
What is the best way to acclimate new fish? I don't have a quarintine tank.

that is the best way--pick up a guarantine tank--all new fish should go in there for at least 4 weeks before the main tank.
If they have ich for eg--then you infect the whole tank, if qt'ed they are easy to treat

a simple qt tank can be a 10 gal plastic tote with an hob filter and a heater.

Aquarist007
04/14/2008, 05:41 PM
btw --are you adding more than one dwarf angel at a time--this can cause problems

Packersfan21
04/14/2008, 05:48 PM
Yea you should always quarantine new fish. Also, a dwarf angel in a 36 gallon isn't a good idea. Not enough swimming space or enough room to establish a territory w/o being aggesive to other fish.

demonsp
04/14/2008, 05:53 PM
Whats used for water flow?

Jeffrey9100
04/14/2008, 05:54 PM
My biggest problem starting out was not making sure the fish were eating at the store.

mikecfd52
04/14/2008, 06:00 PM
I haven't been quarantining new fish because I only have two clowns in there now. I use the cascade 1000 for filter. Also I have been adding fish one at a time and never angels togrether. I had a sulfur build up but thought it was resolved. Just switched to spring water, but I heard distilled is better. Is this true?

demonsp
04/14/2008, 06:01 PM
Whats used for water movement?

Imanz0
04/14/2008, 06:05 PM
I had the same problem with my LFS with live corals. Maybe you can relate,this is my story. The LFS would get their new shipment on monday. So here i am thinking that i should go there on monday, to be the first to see their new items. So i literaly wasted over 250$ on buying corals, then bringing to my tank and having them die in next 2 days. Then i asked my uncle (Into SW tanks for over 15 years) whats wrong, he told me to never buy any fish/coral that has been in their aquarium for less than 5 days. The reason is that sometimes they get their shipment from far distances, and sometimes the corals are very stressed, or are damaged, and arent showing it yet. Just make sure to ask how long they have been in the tanks.

Packersfan21
04/14/2008, 06:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12329240#post12329240 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mikecfd52
I haven't been quarantining new fish because I only have two clowns in there now. I use the cascade 1000 for filter. Also I have been adding fish one at a time and never angels togrether. I had a sulfur build up but thought it was resolved. Just switched to spring water, but I heard distilled is better. Is this true?

I use reverse-osmosis water and it works really well. also quarantining new fish isn't just to see if they are sick or not. It's also to make sure that the fish is eating before going in the display tank. With the clowns in the tank eating all the prepared food, the new fish may not have an oppertunity to try the new food out.

mikecfd52
04/14/2008, 06:08 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what does water movement mean? I have an under the tank cascade 1000 filter if that's what you mean.

Packersfan21
04/14/2008, 06:11 PM
By watermovent I think demonsp means like what powerheads do use for current in your tank. Koralia, maxijet,etc.

mikecfd52
04/14/2008, 06:13 PM
I don't have anything for movement, just the fan on the filter.

demonsp
04/14/2008, 06:13 PM
Do the fish seem to hang around the surface any?

demonsp
04/14/2008, 06:14 PM
SW tanks need good water flow for oxygen supply.Most is add to the water volume through surface exchange and water movement. Then a skimmer or HOB filter to help break the surface tension helps. They need air.

Packersfan21
04/14/2008, 06:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12329359#post12329359 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mikecfd52
I don't have anything for movement, just the fan on the filter.

This may explain part of the problem then. You should always have powerheads for current in the tank. I reccomend getting 2x Koralia2's

mikecfd52
04/14/2008, 07:46 PM
Is that for non reef tanks too?

demonsp
04/14/2008, 08:00 PM
More for a non reef in a way.But proper water movement is well needed for any SW setup. Fish can live in very bad water contions but cant live in low oxygen tank.The faster they die they more its needed.Theres a misconception that a fresh water tank setup works in a SW but it doesnt. Ill bet your setup is from your LFS advice.
In this hobby you need to measure twice and cut once. I dont mean to rag on you but please be more carfeul as many of these fish come strait from an ocean reef and deserve the best chance to survive. This would really help.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Marine-Aquarium-Step-Step/dp/1890087521/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205050392&sr=1-1

mikecfd52
04/14/2008, 08:05 PM
Not offended. I don't know crap. Got everything at petco.

D to the P
04/14/2008, 08:37 PM
there is a brand named Hydor that has a powerhead by the name of Koralia. They are really good at circulating the water, provided you get the right size. For a 36 gallon I would say go with two of the koralia 1's, but you might even consider getting two of the koralia 2's. Most people recommend these because you get the best bang for your buck. Your best bet is to put on on either side of the aquarium, and watch how the tank reacts to the newly added circulation. The ideal situation would be if your tank didn't have any dead spots, that is areas where the water isn't flowing which allows detritus(fish crap, food, etc.) to build up and pollute the water. Not all LFS suck, you just have to know how to filter the crap at the ones that do because after all, working at a LFS isn't really a career its a part time job so the store will hire younger guys who may just be there for a pay check unfortunately. So anyway, get some powerheads up in that tank, acclimate the fish better, and always ask the person helping you get a fish at the LFS when the fish came in, is it eating, what its eating, and if you can see it eat. That is a good way to make sure at the store that you are getting a healthy candidate for your tank. Don't worry about making the person do more work, its your investment and thats all that matters.

Aquarist007
04/14/2008, 08:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12330452#post12330452 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mikecfd52
Not offended. I don't know crap. Got everything at petco.

I you read the articles by Waterkeeper at the first of this forum--they are excellent for new reefers

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1031074

demonsp
04/14/2008, 09:05 PM
Thats the first step in total addition.The ability to admit your wrong. This humbleness will pay off. Ill leave a link and read. Then look around and they can answer many questions, then ask in here for many great experiances for a better understanding and perhaps a little drama.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/startinganaquarium/tp/topmistakes.htm