PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Algae

saltyFISHscales
04/13/2008, 11:39 PM
Over the past year, my tank has seen an increase in bubble algea growth. I never had these issues until I moved my tank to a new location. Ever since the move I've had all types of algae problems that I never had before! I've changed my bulbs, skimmer is skimming like always, and been doing larger and more frequent water changes to see if that would do the trick, but nothing seems to stop the growth. I even turned off my lights for 4 days in hopes it would slow the growth. I thought it was my bulbs, skimmer or both...

hdesai123
04/14/2008, 02:11 AM
I hope you didnt break any of the bubble algae in your tank while cleaning it. If you did break it in your tank than it releases pores and more of it will grow. I have the same problem in my tank. Try adding a emrald crab in your tank which is known to eat different kinds of algae including hair algae. I dont know much about how that bubble algae gets in your tank but I have been able to control it with emrald crab. Also if I see one of the bubbles I try to get it out of the tank without breaking it. You can it by trying to scrap the bubble of the rock by something that is not going to break the bubble. Just to let you know the bubbles are not that soft either. Good Luck.

fliynhi
04/14/2008, 02:26 AM
Are you running a sump? If so, any macro algae in it? How are the readings in your tank? Are you using RO/DI water? I haven't had a problem with bubble algea yet (knock on wood) but I am having a bit of a problem with bryopsis. I found that the water I was using had a good bit of phosphates in it and I think that was where the algea was getting its food from. Tried emerald crabs for it with no luck. I also reduced feeding to once a day. So far I haven't seen a big difference but its only been about a week. Not sure if any of this will help you, or if you've already checked all of this, but its worth a try. Good luck.

saltyFISHscales
04/14/2008, 10:05 AM
How funny, I just picked up an Emerald crab last week as I remembered someone told me about that before. I might end up getting one more. Unfortunately when I siphoned out the water for a water change, I scraped the bubbles off the rocks while it was sucking the water out. I hope it also siphoned out the spores at the same time. By the looks of my tank, those spores ended up spreading and now are on other rocks. I guess I'll have to deal with it until I decide to get a new tank. I guess that means a new tank with new live rock, and maybe new coral since my coral is stuck to the infested bubble algae rock already. Any other suggestions out there?

hdesai123
04/14/2008, 02:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12323919#post12323919 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fliynhi
Are you running a sump? If so, any macro algae in it? How are the readings in your tank? Are you using RO/DI water? I haven't had a problem with bubble algea yet (knock on wood) but I am having a bit of a problem with bryopsis. I found that the water I was using had a good bit of phosphates in it and I think that was where the algea was getting its food from. Tried emerald crabs for it with no luck. I also reduced feeding to once a day. So far I haven't seen a big difference but its only been about a week. Not sure if any of this will help you, or if you've already checked all of this, but its worth a try. Good luck.

I also had some bryopsis growing in my tank and after after 2-3 weeks of adding the emrald crab it finally found a liking for the it and took care of it. Just give the crab sometime.

hdesai123
04/14/2008, 02:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12325478#post12325478 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltyFISHscales
How funny, I just picked up an Emerald crab last week as I remembered someone told me about that before. I might end up getting one more. Unfortunately when I siphoned out the water for a water change, I scraped the bubbles off the rocks while it was sucking the water out. I hope it also siphoned out the spores at the same time. By the looks of my tank, those spores ended up spreading and now are on other rocks. I guess I'll have to deal with it until I decide to get a new tank. I guess that means a new tank with new live rock, and maybe new coral since my coral is stuck to the infested bubble algae rock already. Any other suggestions out there?

From my experience I can say that if the bubbles are small than the crab will take care of them but if the bubbles are big than you will have to manually remove them out of your tank. Give the crab sometime in your tank and it might help you out. Hope someone else here has a better solution for the bubble algae. Good Luck.

thoth7
04/14/2008, 02:38 PM
When the first few bubbles appeared (75 gallon tank), I purchased two emerald crabs and not much happened. The algae then got much worse. As a result, I added three more crabs. It's taken about three months, but there are only a few bubbles left. For me, they've worked very well.

saltyFISHscales
04/14/2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks hdesai123. I'll let him do his work!
Oh btw, I have a sump but no micro algae. I use RO/DI to top off.

fliynhi
04/14/2008, 09:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12327526#post12327526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hdesai123
I also had some bryopsis growing in my tank and after after 2-3 weeks of adding the emrald crab it finally found a liking for the it and took care of it. Just give the crab sometime.

Thanks for giving me hope. Like I said, they've only been in there for about a week so they need more time. Even if they don't mow it down it's still fun to hunt for them when staring at my tank. Good luck getting the bubble under control salty.

eddnyster
04/14/2008, 11:05 PM
Add some crabs, snails, and sea urchins! They work wonders!

saltyFISHscales
04/16/2008, 10:12 AM
I figure any idea is better than buying new LR. I'm almost at the point where I want to either buy new LR or make my own.... Still considering it.

jmoney
04/16/2008, 05:40 PM
you don't have to buy new rock, I just threw in the towel and cleaned out everything, have the rock curirng again in a massive trashcan after pressure washing everything I could off the rock. Other than that I used a tlf phosphate removal system which stemmed the growth for awhile