View Full Version : Give me some Ideas Please

JasonColtsFan
04/14/2008, 09:30 AM
I have a 180 FOWLR
180lbs of Rock 180lbs of Sand...

Currently have
Harliquen Tusk Wrasse about 3 inches
Coral Beatuy Angel about 3 inches...

want to add 3 more fish what are some ideas?

I have a 40 gallon sump coral beatuy 250 skimmer...

I know the Coral Beatuy wont get much larger and the tusk will probably be 8-10 inches a few years from now...

Thanks in Advance!

AquaKnight
04/14/2008, 10:11 AM
What about a nice Atlantic Blue tang and a trigger, Niger or Blue throat?

JasonColtsFan
04/14/2008, 11:46 AM
I like both idea's but will trigger mess with my coral beatuy or the tang? What about any Angels (Queen or something different?)

2dawghouse
04/14/2008, 12:48 PM
I wouldnt do either of the large angel families Holacanthus angels (queen, blue, passer) or Pomacanthus (french, koran, empror, black) they will get big fast and can get aggressive. But you can try the family of Chaetodontoplus (scribbled, grey poma) or Apolemichthys (flagfin, gold spot), also a regal would be nice.

AquaKnight
04/14/2008, 03:02 PM
Nope, those triggers should be fine. Here is pretty much the list of triggers that are peaceful, any of the Xanthichthys triggers (Blue Throat, Crosshatch, Sargassum), the Niger, the Hawaiian Black, and the Pink-Tail Trigger. All really don't mess with other fish.

I would definitely pass on the larger angels and go for a more peaceful one as mentioned by 2dawg.

JasonColtsFan
04/14/2008, 07:34 PM
thanks, what could I do with a queen angel and the two fish I already have? my girlfriend loves the queen angel

AquaKnight
04/15/2008, 11:11 AM
Depending on who you ask, the Queen Angel will outgrow the 180, so have plans for the future. The Queen should work with the Tusk, but still unsure about the Queen and Coral Beauty. If you get a small enough Queen, it would mostly likely work out for a while at least.

JasonColtsFan
04/15/2008, 12:11 PM
THANKS for all the info... are their any Large Angels that will not out grow a 180 and work with the Coral beatuy?

What if I went with the Trigger, a Tang and Puffer (porky) and no large Angel?

What about ells

AquaKnight
04/15/2008, 12:44 PM
Well, I don't want to imply that a Queen won't work, with mixing angels, it's just figuring some percentages and for the most part, it's all luck. But knowing the personaility of Queen's that's why I'm skiddish. But for large angels, I have seen lots of Blueface Angels in community tanks. Some are tricky to get to eat, (mine ate from the get go) but definitely are worth the costs.

The trigger, a tang, a coral beauty, a Tusk, and a puffer would definitely work. If you're set on a porcupine, IIRC, there are two types of Porky's, Diodon holacanthus and Diodon Hystrix (sp.?) One gets over 2 feet and the other maxs out around 13"? Hopefully someone else will chime in. But definitely shoot for the smaller one if that is true.

Can't really comment on eels, never kept one (my Dad did have a snowflake). I avoided them because they add a considerable load to the system, and I always would never have the spare bioload room.

JasonColtsFan
04/15/2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks again... I will stay away from the eels...

So I guess I am down to adding a Blueface Angel, Trigger (Niger)and Tang 1 of the following (Blonde Naso, Blue Hippo, Powder Blue or Brown)
OR
Trigger Niger
Tang one of the above
Puffer (Porky) the smaller of the group...

Of these lists should they work and which would be more active to watch? and would I have to worry about anyone outgrowing the tank?

Thanks Again for the Ideas and HelP!

AquaKnight
04/15/2008, 02:04 PM
I wouldn't say you're exclusively down to adding just these. The Blueface is just one angel I have and I've seen do good in a community tank with other fish. As 2dawghouse mentioned, there are a number of different angels that have just as good of chance as the Blueface.

As far as those lists, the top one will be more 'active.' But talk to anyone with a porky, and they'll mostly likely tell you there is no subsutiute. These guys have a personaility all their own. When they dance and do tricks for food, it would be hard to pass up. I won't be too afriad to do both lists, replace the Blueface with a Poma Angel for instance and add the Porky.

Also, I really don't think you're pushing the tank space wise, but the filtration makes me say to keep the load down.

Definitely wait for some other input besides mine though ;)

JasonColtsFan
04/15/2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks again for all your help... I say blue face because that was the one my girlfriend liked other than the Queen and it is nice to have her on my side... ;)

Any others thoughts from anyone else would be greatly apprecatied!