PDA

View Full Version : Nano clean up crew

iotaphi760
04/14/2008, 04:16 PM
Hey all!

I'm new to this forum, and nano tanks but not to the saltwater aquarium world. This is my first nano so bear with me.

I'm running a JBJ 12gallon Deluxe. The tank has cycled but I'm wondering about my algea clean up gang. What does everyone recommend in terms of amount of critters?

For example: 3 blue legged hermit crabs, 3 margarita snails, and one sand sifting starfish.

I ask because I want to have the right balance. Not too many so a critter dies, but not too few so the tank gets overun with algea.

Thanks in advance!

new2sw776784
04/14/2008, 07:15 PM
i have aga (all glass aquarium) 10 gallons i have 5 blue leg hermits, 5 astrea snails i am very happy with the results. i am still new as well so i don't know about the stuff u mentioned just wanted to give you an idea of what i had.

Illuminati
04/14/2008, 07:19 PM
I find that most critters do different jobs so a good mix is best.

Avoid starfish, you cannot support one in a tank that small.

Cernith Snail - Great cleaner, diatom eater, also works on the glass and rock. Get a couple

Nassarius Snail - Best critter for the sandbed. Get a couple.

Margarita Snail - Mainly hangs out on the glass, sometimes the rock.

I like the Mexican Red Leg Hermits, Premium Aquatics sells them as well as a lot of LFS's. Blue legs are o.k. as well, I would get 3 or 4 of them.

HTH

hdesai123
04/14/2008, 08:25 PM
I agree with Illuminati on avoiding starfish in your 10g. I suggest getting Red leg hermits and Blue leg hermits, may be a mix of 6-8. You get may be 5-6 Nassarius snails, they basically do the same job of sifting the sand as your starfish and also take care of your diatom bloom. Also may be a few of the Cerith snails. Again all depends on how much live rock you have. I gave these numbers assuming you would have may be 15-20lb of live rock in your tank.

iotaphi760
04/15/2008, 02:37 PM
Thanks for all the help. I'm gonna try a few blue legs, a few red legs, some nassarius snails, and a few margarita snails.

AzaZeL
04/15/2008, 07:28 PM
Wow, you guys have alot for your cuc. I have a blue leg, a red leg, an emerald, a turbo, and two nerites. That's it. If I put anymore in the tank then they just die from not having enough to eat.

hdesai123
04/15/2008, 07:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12338359#post12338359 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AzaZeL
Wow, you guys have alot for your cuc. I have a blue leg, a red leg, an emerald, a turbo, and two nerites. That's it. If I put anymore in the tank then they just die from not having enough to eat.

Your turbo snail takes care of most of the algae in your 12g and therefore you are good with just one red leg and one blue leg hermit.

NanoReefWanabe
04/15/2008, 09:23 PM
LOL...i was thinking they were all light on cleaners...

i have:
1 mexican turbo
1 strawberry conch (BY FAR THE BEST SAND SIFTER)
3 cerith snails
2 margarite snails
2 trochus snails
2 astrea snails
5 nassarius snails

4 blue leg hermits
1 coral banded shrimp
1 black brittle star
and more pods and worms then you could shake as stick at...

as mentioned i too believe diversity is the best..

rhunter513
04/17/2008, 01:21 PM
there is no magic number, depends on how you keep your tank and how much algae you have. Start very small.

Astrea snail are the best all around snail. Only draw back with them is not being able to right themselve when upside down.

Blue leg hermits are a bit evil and will kill snails for their shells or just for sport. Scarlet reef hermits are more peacful yet a bit lazy at times - lol mine all have narcolepsy, they stop dead in there track and go to sleep.