PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of moving soon. best way 2

SwimSwimDiego
04/14/2008, 07:45 PM
I am thinking of moving out to a different house in less then two months from now and the house is about thirty minutes away. The thought of moving is stressful, but the thought of moving my tanks is worst. All I keep thinking is "How am I going to move my tank without anything dying" right now I have nothing in the tank but by the time I move I should have a few corals. What is the easiest way to move all the water and corals from one place to another without losing anything and causing the coral any harm?

1- How should I package the water in the tank?
2- The best way to transport the fish and coral.
3- How should I put the fish and coral back in water?
4- Do I need to let the water sit for a few hours before I put fish back?
5- Did anything bad ever happen when you moved your tank?

Please tell me your moving story, so we can learn how to move our fish, coral and tanks without any loses.

Reason for the move, house has lead paint above drop ceiling and it's making my kids sick. It is causing my little girl to have seizures, Not Good

Thanks
DS :strooper:

slant77
04/14/2008, 08:20 PM
If it is only 30 minutes away it shouldnt be that big of deal. I helped a local club member a few months ago move a 125gl reef. Fish and corals went into a couple of ice chest and the rocks went into buckets along with the water. Once we got the his new place got the tank back in place and sarted putting water back in. The fish were placed in the tank after it had about 1/3 water in it. He had some water premade at the new house. I would say about 30%. Although if you really think that you are going to move in 2 months I would really add anything new to the tank. What size tank are we talking about?

Elevate
04/14/2008, 08:58 PM
Hey buddy I have been in the same boat, planning on moving for the last two months. Wanna know what I did? I bought two cheap anemones and a cheap leather from Petco. Just because I couldnt wait to start adding stuff. But I didnt get anything that I would cry over if it died. I am going to do everything I can go ensure survival of everything but if it doesn't no serious loss. Bottom line, have patience, do it right. Don't buy anything 'til after you move and you have it settled.

Misled
04/14/2008, 09:06 PM
Start collecting buckets. 30 minutes isn't that far. Plan on replacing your sandbed, (if you have one, if not all the better). Try to think of it as changing tanks. Keep as much water as you can and keep everything in water. You can purchase battery powered air pumps to use in the buckets with fish. Get some help from other reefers in your area if you can.

SwimSwimDiego
04/14/2008, 09:15 PM
Well I have three tanks, 10, 1, 8 gallon. The ten is the one that I worry a bit and it being my first move with a tank, I feel like I needed to ask some questions before I write after the move to tell the story of disaster and everybody comes to my house and makes me a disaster for not asking. After joining this site, I walk on thin ice or I get the, I told you so.

And that's not good.

Misled
04/14/2008, 09:17 PM
So I just read your sig and noticed you have a ten gal. So I'll answer your questions.

1- How should I package the water in the tank?
get 3 5 gal buckets with lids.
2- The best way to transport the fish and coral.
In the buckets. Fish in one, coral in one, (you can use rock to keep corals seperate), rest of rock in other
3- How should I put the fish and coral back in water?
Rock and water from rock bucket first, fish and fish water second, then corals and rest of water last.
4- Do I need to let the water sit for a few hours before I put fish back?
No
5- Did anything bad ever happen when you moved your tank?
No

You can do a water change a week before and save the water to give you more volumn to work with.

HTH

SwimSwimDiego
04/14/2008, 09:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12331054#post12331054 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Misled
Start collecting buckets. 30 minutes isn't that far. Plan on replacing your sandbed, (if you have one, if not all the better). Try to think of it as changing tanks. Keep as much water as you can and keep everything in water. You can purchase battery powered air pumps to use in the buckets with fish. Get some help from other reefers in your area if you can.

Well I am planning to use a car battery jumper and a dc/ac converter to plug in a filter and an air pump, so I don't lose power for a while.

SwimSwimDiego
04/14/2008, 09:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12331134#post12331134 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Misled
So I just read your sig and noticed you have a ten gal. So I'll answer your questions.

You can do a water change a week before and save the water to give you more volumn to work with.

HTH

Should I put a filter or a power head in the water I take out of the tank when I do that water change so it doesn’t get bad or fowl from just sitting for a week?

Misled
04/14/2008, 09:36 PM
Just put a power head in the bucket and lay the lid on top. Don't move anything in the tank. They aren't built to handle uneven pressure.

downhillbiker
04/14/2008, 10:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12330985#post12330985 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Elevate
Hey buddy I have been in the same boat, planning on moving for the last two months. Wanna know what I did? I bought two cheap anemones and a cheap leather from Petco. Just because I couldnt wait to start adding stuff. But I didnt get anything that I would cry over if it died. I am going to do everything I can go ensure survival of everything but if it doesn't no serious loss. Bottom line, have patience, do it right. Don't buy anything 'til after you move and you have it settled.

Not trying to sound rood, but if you want to do it right, you shouldn't buy from petco. try to find a quality LFS and buy from them. you will save sooooo much money...and tears if you don't put some disease or parasite in the tank from the stressed out fish at those stores. Don't know about your petco, but at mine they keep carpet, bubble tip, long tentacle, and condi anemones, along with several corals and mushrooms under standard flourescent lights. they are gradually deteriorating, and there's always 10+ fish floating, and so, so many with ich or some sort of sore. buying from LFS is best, but if no other options, online is better than petco.

SwimSwimDiego
04/14/2008, 11:04 PM
I tried Petco for two damsels and two turbo snails and out of the four one has ich, so I don't need my tank to have any problems. I have a LFS about forty minutes away and around here everything is about forty minutes away anyway. I been there the last time I needed a few LR and two pounds of LS for something I was doing and it seem to be a nice and busy store with lots of stuff. So petco is out of the question, I noticed a few corals dying in petco and the staff did nothing but act like nothing was wrong with it. Boy that's what I call trained staff from Big Lots. LOL