PDA

View Full Version : storing water

woogy
04/14/2008, 07:49 PM
I have a 32 gallon brute trashcan that I use for my water changes. Sometimes I have some left over. Can I keep the leftover mixed saltwater and just add more for the next water change? Do I need to keep the powerhead on until the next water change and also heat the water?

EdKruzel
04/14/2008, 07:57 PM
You can add to it and store it without a powerhead or heater. Be sure to seal the top on tight and mix thoroughly and heat to match the tank temps before use.

cdbias2
04/15/2008, 07:23 AM
You must circulate water that is mixed with salt!
You dont have too with pure RO water.

EdKruzel
04/15/2008, 07:38 AM
Many hobbyists store pre-made saltwater without circulating. I use NSW which sits in a container sealed from the store until I need it. I pour it in a 5gal bucket with a heater to bring the temps up and pump it in my tank, no ill effects at all. If it were a synthetic blend, then I'd let it circulate while the temps are being balanced to ensure there wasn't any settling.

sage_commander
04/15/2008, 07:43 AM
I usually have about five gallons or so of mixed water left after a water change. I just add to it when I'm making more. I don't worry about circulating it until a few days before a water change. And I turn on the heater the day before the water change.

Aquarist007
04/15/2008, 08:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12330312#post12330312 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by woogy
I have a 32 gallon brute trashcan that I use for my water changes. Sometimes I have some left over. Can I keep the leftover mixed saltwater and just add more for the next water change? Do I need to keep the powerhead on until the next water change and also heat the water?

that's okay to do--I would keep the powerhead on and the heat otherwise you could get some precipitation out of the mixture