PDA

View Full Version : Vista, Aquanotes

[WDT]TardFarmer
04/14/2008, 09:20 PM
I just picked up an aquacontroller III, I am unable to run aquanotes basic, it errors out everytime giving me a runtime error of 339 and it can't find a component. Is it compatible with vista? I am running Vista ultimate.

kenargo
04/14/2008, 10:28 PM
Yes, it is compatible with Vista, I to am running Vista Ultimate and it works. Try this:

Run the application as an "Administrator" (rt-click the shortcut and select "Run as Administrator".

[WDT]TardFarmer
04/15/2008, 07:35 AM
Tried that too, I will try uninstalling doing a reg clean and then trying again.

Is it possible to connect via the network rather than directly to the AC using aquanotes?

kenargo
04/15/2008, 08:37 AM
Yes, I use a network connection with AquaNotes and it works quite well.

[WDT]TardFarmer
04/15/2008, 09:13 AM
Ken, I love your vista gadget!

So how do I configure the aquanotes light to talk to my ACIII outside of my network. I have the rule open on my cisco router. I changed the default port since 80 is already being used. I can not find anywhere in aquanotes to set the ip of my house. (I have a static) The only option I see is "direct to pc" I must be missing something.

[WDT]TardFarmer
04/15/2008, 09:17 AM
ahh wait it looks like I have to purchase the aquanotes full just for access, I wish I could run a trial to see if I like the full version before purchasing.

Carlos
04/15/2008, 09:49 AM
Aquacontroller III has its own web server. You can just connect directly to the controller and not have any need for aquanotes.

Aquanotes is mainly used for ACJr and ACII or if you want to have access to old historical data that the controller cannot keep due to memory constraints.

Regards,

Carlos

[WDT]TardFarmer
04/15/2008, 10:16 AM
hrrmm, it does not look like I have near the control of the ACIII that I would with the aquanotes.

kenargo
04/15/2008, 10:58 AM
For example?

I mean you cannot set (probe) offsets and trigger feed cycles but there shouldn't be many things you cannot control via the website connection as in AquaNotes.

[WDT]TardFarmer
04/15/2008, 11:19 AM
nm you are right, I liked the idea of the handy inhabitants db and such but no biggie. Also I thought the programming would be more simplified, not that IF/Then statements i shard but I thought it would be managed more by drop downs. Again no biggie. I love being at work and checking my temps and lights etc etc. Time to start experimenting with different options!

kenargo
04/15/2008, 11:27 AM
You might want to check out the AC simulator I wrote (available via my website). It has auto-complete support (also called intellisense) for program statements.

60Cubed
04/15/2008, 07:18 PM
So I don't have to have Aquanotes to link to the controller from a computer? What program do you run on the computer to communicate to the controller? I am confused here. I want to set mine up on the computer, but now I don't know what I need to make it work? Can you elaborate on the statement that you can connect directly to the server and not have any need for aquanotes?

kenargo
04/15/2008, 08:41 PM
No, you do not need AquaNotes to connect to the AC3.

The AC3 and AC3 Pro include a built-in web server which you can connect to using the AC3's address (default: 192.168.1.50). If you have the AC3 connected to your network you can run your favorite browser and enter:

http://192.168.1.50

and you should see a login prompt (for your AC3 username and password). Once you enter these you will see a webpage, compliments of the AC3.

In addition to this I use a Vista Gadget (which shows up-to-date status of the AC3) and an AC simulator (which I use to make program edits and test programs before i upload them into my AC3.

Hope this helps

60Cubed
04/15/2008, 09:34 PM
Can I do this by directly connecting the ACIII to my PC via the ethernet cable? Or do I need other connectors not supplied with the unit? I am NOT very computer savy at all. This is a learning process for me.

kenargo
04/15/2008, 09:39 PM
Yes, you can make a temporary connection to the PC but that can be problematic. Do you have a router? If you have a router and it has a free plug then it would be better to plug the AC3 into the router (even on a temporary basis if that is all you want to do).

60Cubed
04/15/2008, 09:47 PM
So I will need a router near the ACIII for the connection? To stay connected all the time I am assuming? I will work on that tomorrow. I have an extra router I can hook up just for this purpose. If I want to run both ACIII's to the computer, I will need them both connected via the ethernet cable? Also, can you run two routers in the same house on the same connection? I've never tried this before.

Lance

kenargo
04/15/2008, 09:54 PM
There are any number of ways to connect the AC3 to the home network. You could run an Ethernet cable to the AC3 and connect the cable between the AC3 and your router or you could use a wireless adapter (if you have a wireless router). If you run out of router ports then you can use an Ethernet hub to add extend the router.

There are many persons here who can help answer questions on getting it working depending on which option you choose.

60Cubed
04/15/2008, 10:02 PM
A wireless adapter? Would this be connected to the ACIII? If so, would that eliminate having to run the ethernet cable from each controller to thr router? That would be ideal if so.

kenargo
04/15/2008, 10:05 PM
Yes, there are many types of wireless devices you can use depending on what kind of router you currently have. Perhaps if you could tell a little bit about what you have now (in the way of network devices) it would better help us here give you some specific options on how to hook up.

60Cubed
04/15/2008, 10:29 PM
I have a Lynksys wireless router with a cable modem. I have plenty of spaces in the back of the router. So I can hook up that way if necessary. How much do the wireless adapters cost and where can I get them?

kenargo
04/15/2008, 10:52 PM
There are many wireless router options and different people here have different preferences. Personally, I use a LinkSys Wireless Game Adapter; I think they run about $100 at BestBuy or CircuitCity

60Cubed
04/15/2008, 11:19 PM
Would I need one per controller? Is that the cheapest or the best?

nhlives
04/19/2008, 10:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12333866#post12333866 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by [WDT]TardFarmer
ahh wait it looks like I have to purchase the aquanotes full just for access, I wish I could run a trial to see if I like the full version before purchasing.

Aquanotes is a pretty old application. I tried it and sent it back. Some like it I guess but...

60Cubed
04/20/2008, 10:36 AM
I got my wireless game adapters. Got two of them for $48 each plus $10 shipping from the-bay. Should have them in about a week or so. I will be asking questions when I am attempting the installation. Will appreciate all help that can be provided.