PDA

View Full Version : Question on skimming

jason214
04/15/2008, 02:36 PM
How do i know that my skimmer is working effeciently? I have an aquac remora w/ a mj1200. In 2 days it might have an inch of skim in the cup. Its really dark skimmate though. Should i have it set to where it fills quicker but not as dirty? I'm working on getting rid of my power filter but i don't want to until i know that my skimmer will handle it by itself.

jason

ROB2005
04/15/2008, 02:51 PM
I think you may answered your own question buddy.

But to help you along, the amount of skimmate than lands in the cup depends on your bioload. Heavier will usually bring more skimmate, light will bring less. Some people prefer to dry skim (allow more air, lesser water flow,) or wet skim (less air, more water) It all depends on user preference.

I prefer the dark and smelly skimmate.

rbursek
04/15/2008, 03:07 PM
It can very from day to day on feeding, and what you fed.

jason214
04/15/2008, 07:12 PM
Well i have a heavy load, no doubt, i'm over stocked on fish and working on getting rid of them,i traded 3 clowns for 2, taking one off their, but with the over stock plus alot of coral, shouldn't i be getting more skim?

jason214
04/15/2008, 08:31 PM
bump

markandkristen
04/15/2008, 09:51 PM
i personally believe its hard to judge skimmate by how much..
its like coffee you can make some strong coffee that is really black
or you can have black coffee that is mild..
i used to look at skimmate pics on here alot and try to see if mine is up to par... it got old because i dont know the viscosity of what others skimmate is compared to mine ... thier exact bioload proport. to mine. etcc.... this is not a cut and dry subject... the variables are endless...

sounds like if your getting a inch every couple of days then the skimmmer is obviously working ... i would just make sure that your doing the normal maintenace as often as possible..

i would check your trates and if their next to zero or zero.. then i would leave well enough alone....
after doing this three years i have finally learned to leave things that are working alone... LOL :)

jason214
04/16/2008, 10:44 PM
thanx markandkristin thats the kind of ansewer i was sort of looking for. My new question is that my trates run a lil high. Would drawing more thinner skim help bing them down?

jason214
04/17/2008, 01:21 PM
bump

Reefmaniac1
04/17/2008, 01:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12347923#post12347923 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jason214
thanx markandkristin thats the kind of ansewer i was sort of looking for. My new question is that my trates run a lil high. Would drawing more thinner skim help bing them down?

A wetter skim will remove more junk, and thus, indirectly contribute to lower nitrates.

How much of the problem can you tackle by hitting the source? By that I mean, lowering your bioload, cutting back on feedings, etc?

Over feeding is one of the biggest sources of tank pollution (phosphates and nitrates) that we have any direct control over and you don't have to feed the fish every day.

I'm so old, I remember when feeding anything in a reef tank was a big no-no...lol.