PDA

View Full Version : Any Radium bulbs users out there??

Reef Happy
04/15/2008, 08:59 PM
Considering going with radiums next time. Soon I will be changing out bulbs and was wondering for those of you that use the radiums how do you like them and why?

kdblove_99
04/15/2008, 09:08 PM
It is the best bulb ever,

Excellent Par, excellent color, excellent growth!

Reef Happy
04/15/2008, 09:16 PM
I have heard radiums give great par and best color poping bulb on the market, but I have also heard to not expect as fast as growth as say a 12k or 14k. Some I have talked to say they are mainly for color but not for growth. So I am wondering which is the case.

Mchava
04/15/2008, 09:35 PM
Well I've always used radiums ever since I started and for a 20k bubl its one of the best out there for growth and coloration. True you dont get that fast growth from lest say a 10k but I think it can and even beat some of the 12k and 14k bulbs out there. Pair them with a good reflector like a luminarc or lumenmax2 and you have a killer set up. but that is just my opinion.

Reef Happy
04/15/2008, 09:44 PM
What makes that a good reflector? Is it mainly just bigger.

OnlyCrimson
04/15/2008, 10:26 PM
No, its better becasue it is actually designed to reflect more of the light. It isn't just a pieces of shiny metal stuffed behind the bulb. I can attest to the lumenarc being awesome.

Mchava
04/15/2008, 10:46 PM
what he said. Its a know fact that a well designed reflector will do alot better then a regular reflector. Not only that but you are able to take more advantage of the light coming from the bulb

kdblove_99
04/16/2008, 12:46 AM
I think the Aquaconnect 14K on HQI ballast is the only single ended 14K bulb with better PAR than the Radium 20K. It has better PAR than some 10 K's

The Radium 20K's Par is almost identical to the DE phoenix 14K and i like the Radium much better having used them both!

eddnyster
04/16/2008, 01:02 AM
Used Radium 20K bulbs and the color is perfect for my tastes. As mentioned by many, it's not the bulb you'd want to get if you want rapid growth. If you want coloration it is definitely the bulb to make those colors pop on your corals! Growth will be minimal but you will get growth nonetheless.

Randy D
04/16/2008, 06:23 AM
I am going to butt in here on this thread. I am going to switch to 20K Radiums powered by Ice cap 250W elec. ballast.

I need to know what color to use with my 110W VHO Ice cap 660.
I have for bulbs to replace.

Any suggestions would sure help.

Thanks

Reef Happy
04/16/2008, 06:38 AM
Randy that is exactly what I am thinking. I have the Ice cap electronic ballast and was thinking of going with the radiums. Man those lumenarc reflectors are high, but look like they would reflect 100% light. I know I loose some of my light now out of the ends of my current reflector. My question about the lumen is will they broadcast light out futher and deeper than the standard reflector?

Reef Happy
04/16/2008, 08:44 AM
Looking into these reflectors. Has anyone seen the new lumen bright mini? They say they broadcast more light out brighter. They are a 16x16.

Reef Happy
04/22/2008, 04:26 PM
Well, I purchased the radiums bulbs along with the lumenarc mini reflectors. Was wondering if these bulbs have the 100 hour burn in time like most all other bulbs. You know how at first the 12k 14k bulbs are bluer at first then get the much more blue/white crisper look. These radiums I know will be a bluer bulb, but I was not expecting this much blue. I was told these bulbs have the nice blue white crisp look, so I am wondering at what point will I see this. I am hoping they do have that burn in cycle.

kdblove_99
04/23/2008, 04:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12340499#post12340499 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eddnyster
Used Radium 20K bulbs and the color is perfect for my tastes. As mentioned by many, it's not the bulb you'd want to get if you want rapid growth. If you want coloration it is definitely the bulb to make those colors pop on your corals! Growth will be minimal but you will get growth nonetheless.

I disagree. I get very good growth From my Radium 20K. I Run mine on a HQI ballast and Lumenarc reflector.