PDA

View Full Version : new used mini G: Help please

sayn3ver
04/15/2008, 09:42 PM
Hi,

i just bought a used mini G off of a member on here.

I have two issues involving noise.

First, the pump is really loud. My oceanrunner return is quiet, this little thing is not. The tank is in my bedroom and there is no way in hell i could ever fall asleep with that thing on. Is there another NW pump that is quieter than the stock one or are all NW pumps loud?

The second is not a problem now. I just did a quick search and made up a fast diy silencer with a plastic water bottle. Did the trick with the venturi noise.

Third, i have the riser tube adjusted so that the water level is about at the bottom of the neck, is that incorrect?

Minor issues with buying used:
It did not come with the foam riser piece. I have to stop at the LFS tomorrow and pick up a aquaclear foam or something and make one myself.

Two, if i decide to keep the stock pump (it is really loud) the seller did not include the suction cups for the bottom of the motor to help silence vibration. Right now i have a piece of polyfill stuck underthere in an attempt to silence it. Any idea where i can get the suction cups i need?

skimmy
04/16/2008, 01:10 AM
that pump is a pos, but keep the volute/venturi, it's awesome!!...
replace the pump with this:
http://www.reefgeek.com/filtration/Protein_Skimmers/ASM_G-Series/Accessories/Sedra_2500_Pump_Assembly_for_ASM_G-1_by_ASM

mesh mod the pump, and take off the pump outlet elbow and put the pump outlet directly into the skimmer body like this:
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e15/fragfu/asmg-1.jpg

sayn3ver
04/16/2008, 06:14 AM
hi.

thanks. Is the sedra quiet?

Secondly,

the black rubber piece that the pump plugs into on my leaks bubbles from it. Is that normal?

sayn3ver
04/16/2008, 01:21 PM
Hi, i removed the elbow on the stock pump which helped with some noise(i'd image a tiny bit of performance as well).

If i do replace the pump, would it be worth going to the sedra 3500 instead of the 2500.

Are there any other pumps worth mentioning?

sayn3ver
04/16/2008, 06:03 PM
So i am thinking I might as well make it a recirc and gatevalve it to make my life easier in the long run. I got it for a good price so might as well take advantage.

Why the mini? its a 33g long low bioload tank and space is tight underneath.

So for recirc pumps...i was thinking an OR 2700? too much for the little body? I have already read a good chunk of the ASm mod post and very little is said about the mini. i realize its the same design but areas like pipe size, uni seal size, and proper pumps is what i am concerned of.

Oh and the pump needs to be quieter than the stock mama jama

sayn3ver
04/17/2008, 07:20 AM
how about the ocean runner 1700 nw. Roughly 300 gph. still too much?