PDA

View Full Version : Whos got a calcium reactor?

reef-fisher
04/15/2008, 10:59 PM
Looking for the best option for automated calcium(and kh) maintenance. Ive seen the via aqua acro reactor, and wanted to know if this would suffice. Anyone else running this or another reactor on their nano?
Thanks

weimers75
04/16/2008, 05:57 AM
I've never run a calc reactor, for nanos since the water volume is so small I've always just used pickling lime. Super cheap and easy. I mix about a tablespoon per gallon, let it settle, then drip into the tank for a bit each night.

reef-fisher
04/16/2008, 08:57 AM
I am currently dosing with bulk kalk(pickling lime) and calcium hydroxide(sp?) Im trying to find a more automated system so I can leave my tank for a few days at a time, but thanks for your reply.

weimers75
04/16/2008, 11:13 AM
If you get an ato it may be cheaper. You can still use your lime that you're using now, just get a reservoir to store the mixed water. The ato will add the water automatically for evaporation. Much cheaper than a reactor:)

reef-fisher
04/16/2008, 10:10 PM
I have an ato. I use the kalk(lime, whatever) to top off. However I am finding my calcium drop below 300 every 3 days or so. I just want something to keep the calcium where I want it so I dont have to dose manually. Cost isnt too much of an issue, as I think my corals deserve the added cost to keep them happy:)