PDA

View Full Version : New Aptasia Killer

down and outman
04/16/2008, 07:47 AM
Got this in my email from Marine Depot. They have a cool movie to go with it. Too bad my Peppermint Shrimp ate all mine. I would have tried it.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idProduct=RS7911&idCategory=FIADAFLC&category=Red_Sea_Aiptasia_X_2oz_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Additives_Aiptasia___Pest_Control_Liquid _Eliminators&utm_source=mdpromoAptasiaX20080409&utm_medium=mdemail&utm_term=mdpromoAptasiaX20080409Movie&utm_content=mdpromoMovieoutman58@yahoo.com&utm_campaign=mdpromo&fromsource=mdpromoAptasiaX20080409Movie

kar93
04/16/2008, 07:48 AM
the link doesnt work.

down and outman
04/16/2008, 07:52 AM
Couldn't get the direct link to work. Anywho, go to http://www.marinedepot.com/, click on medications and click on Red Sea Aptasia X. For $10.99. Not bad. Maybe it'll save some hair pulling and head banging.

kar93
04/16/2008, 07:58 AM
Cool, Im getting me some of that.

The_Browns
04/16/2008, 08:07 AM
I have had 100% kill rate using Joe's Juice so no need to switch for me.

ConcreteReefer
04/16/2008, 08:21 AM
Boiled RO/DI water & Kalk does the same thing.

cgoulden
04/16/2008, 08:45 AM
I received my marine depot order last week and applied it over the weekend.

The liquid was not as thick as kalk or Joes Juice, so it was easier to dispense a smaller amount and it seemed to go a lot farther.

Also once it was applied it stayed put after the circulation pumps were restarted.

It pretty much did an instant kill on smaller ones, but the larger ones lingered for a day or two (with tentacles fully retracted and the foot(?) swollen).

I noticed that if you didn't get full coverage on the oral disk, some of the tentacles would remain extended and it required an additional application.

I'm still waiting to see if more will sprout from the base as can happen with Joes Juice.

So far so good though. If I don't get a bunch of little ones growing back, I'd choose this over Joes Juice.

Btw this is my first post here, although I've been lurking for a while.

Anemone
04/16/2008, 09:01 AM
cgoulden-

[welcome]

Kevin

mile sq. reefer
04/16/2008, 09:07 AM
I used JJ but they came back. I finally added Berghia nudi. and they solved the problem. Now too take them out for other reefers to use. Best nuisance control.

GSMguy
04/16/2008, 09:42 AM
will it kill Mojano anemones?

cgoulden
04/16/2008, 10:39 AM
Well I didn't have any Mojanos to try it on, but I would expect it to work on them just as well.

You basically just add enough to cover the oral disk.

I didn't mention before but they did not immediately retract like with Joe's Juice, instead it actually did look like a feeding response. This made it a lot easier and didn't require filling in a crevice with kalk.

If it does a 100% kill and doesn't spawn 20 new ones, I'd say it is worth the money over the other packaged solutions. Obviously kalk paste/lemon juice/boiling water have a lower cost.

reefmaister
04/16/2008, 10:48 AM
I had a couple aiptasia and didn't feel like buying or preparing any treatments so I just filled the small holes they occupied with epoxy and mounted frags over them. that worked fine, fwiw