PDA

View Full Version : Wavemaker not good for modded maxis?

Jeremy Blaze
04/16/2008, 02:58 PM
Someone told me that you can not use a wavemaker on a modded maxi jet, that they have restart problems.

Is this correct?

chrismunn
04/16/2008, 03:02 PM
who cares? i wanna see your 1200g reef!!! :)

Jeremy Blaze
04/16/2008, 03:03 PM
Do some searches, I have posted pics many times.

kar93
04/16/2008, 03:10 PM
Got any links to threads, i did a search but didnt find anything with your 1200.

dylanirion
04/16/2008, 03:10 PM
I think this is true. Sometimes the impeller wants to spin in the wrong direction after a restart, and repeatedly hits the anti-counter-spin tab, making a clicking noise. I've read and experienced that they eventually break in, and spin correctly on startup. You may have some luck after letting them settle.

Aquarist007
04/16/2008, 03:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12344486#post12344486 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dylanirion
I think this is true. Sometimes the impeller wants to spin in the wrong direction after a restart, and repeatedly hits the anti-counter-spin tab, making a clicking noise. I've read and experienced that they eventually break in, and spin correctly on startup. You may have some luck after letting them settle.

I have read posts where both Koralias and modded maxis are used on interval timers.
Personally I use three koralias on an interval timer with no problems

Ebmorri
04/16/2008, 03:24 PM
The only issues that I heard of with the modded maxis is that they can start up and turn backwards. However i thing there is a mod that stops that.

chrismunn
04/16/2008, 03:25 PM
is that you in the captive reefing forum?

surfjeepzx
04/16/2008, 03:28 PM
That is correct.

A maxi jet pump is an AC pump. In it's original config it can turn in either direction upon start and it makes no difference since the impeller is not unidirectional.

Once you mod the pump you make the impeller unidirectional. Therefore it has to turn the same direction upon startup. If it doesn't the prop will pull the impeller from the pump housing hence the need for a rod to interfere with the prop if it starts backward and hopefully make it run in the right direction.

So that much we all know.

Now the wavemaker. If you use a on/off device such as a simple timer to switch flow around in the tank you may get lucky sometimes but you will eventually run out of luck and the pump will jam or seem to cavitate as the prop starts to bounce off the stop rod while it tries to reverse rotation.

If you try to use a device that slows the pump by reducing voltage supplied to the pump the following will happen. Depending on the prop and type of Maxi you have, such as a 1200. 900, 600, the pump will start to slow and then at some random point it will try to reverse itself. As the amount of current supplied to the pump is lowered it will not be enough to keep it running as the resistance of the prop essentially stops the pump.

I know this as I've played with a couple wavemaker devices as mentioned above and with several varying configurations of modded maxi's.

The best way to do this would be with a DC pump which is a unidirectional pump thus assuring each time it started it would only start in one direction whether from a slow or a stop. The Vortec is one such monster and I've seen them in action with the wavemaker. They are nice but IMO way too much money.

I simply run modded maxi's in my tank now and have for the last 10 months or so with no problems. I reposition them every now and then play with the flow patterns by simple small changes to pump direction.

I beleive I have all the benefits of the high dollar pumps at a fraction of the cost, and I know without a doubt that my modded 1200's will move water as well if not better than any recirc pump on the market.