PDA

View Full Version : which skimmer for a 75 gallon reef?

Mappelbaum37
04/16/2008, 05:37 PM
I am looking to upgrade from my prism protein skimmer. I have posted a number of threads on this but I always seem to find another product. Which skimmer do I get? My ammonia has increased from .25 to approximately 1.0 in about 3 weeks or so. My nitrates are 0. Doesn't look like the prism is doing it's job so efficiently anymore.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4392+4428&pcatid=4428

or

http://www.reefspecialty.com/product_info.php?products_id=266

Originally I've been planning on getting the octo, but my friend just bought the berlin turbo to my attention. Which one is a better purchase?

thank you

Mappelbaum37
04/16/2008, 08:06 PM
looking for help bec. I want to buy this skimmer ASAP.

Thank you

kaiser
04/16/2008, 09:05 PM
Forget about the octo or the red sea berlin. I had the red sea, replaced it with a Octopus PS150 and was not happy with it, so I returned it and now have a Bermuda BPS-3C. Can't say anything about it's performance, it's still in break in, but i read a number of good reviews on it and LFS recommended it. They actually have one running on a display tank and the goo it pulls out is amazing.

Tennsquire
04/16/2008, 09:11 PM
I used to run an older Euroreef CS-1 on my 75, which I upgraded to a larger (Sedra 5000) pump. It worked very well. Then I upgraded to a EuroReef RC135, which is probably oversized, but I bought it with an eye toward upgrading. It's a nice skimmer, but probably more than you need. Check the used equipment forum to see if you can't pick something up used. Lots of good deals there....

kelvin88
04/16/2008, 09:16 PM
Euroreef is the best, I'have tried others, but euroreef give me the best result

kaiser
04/16/2008, 10:22 PM
Only problem with Euro Reef is the fact that there aren't any available right now and I think he's looking for a HOB Skimmer. So my vote goes to Bermuda Rogue (http://bermudaaquatics.com/rogue.htm).

eddnyster
04/16/2008, 11:36 PM
if HOB...Bermuda Rogue no doubt in my mind.

Kissfan79
04/17/2008, 05:33 AM
If you are looking for a hang on back...I can't comment on the Berlin. If you were going in sump.....then I have the berlin in sump model on my 75. For me.....it does the job right now. It skims pretty well but for the price you would pay at Dr. Fosters....I would probably buy something else. I got mine used for a total of about $75 between the pump and the body. I eventually will upgrade (probably to a Euroreef, Octopus, or an ASM) but for time being....I am happy with my Berlin on my 75. My bioload isn't really all that heavy right now though.

Jim

Compguy
04/17/2008, 05:42 AM
DO NOT GET THE BERLING TURBO, had one in my 55G and in my 40G and they are worthless, so hard to get set right and if you can actually get it to work right, it doesn't pull much out, just wanted to throw in there as well that I have a Euro-Reef RS135 for my 55G, which is a bit overkill but it was all they had in stock at the time, and I absolutely LOVE IT!, after break in it is working flawless, but stay away from those Red Sea Berlin Skimmers, just my advice

luke33
04/17/2008, 06:57 AM
Out of those two the octo 300f is much nicer. The rogue will eat up the 300f though fwiw, as i ran them side by side for a few mths and the rogue pulled 3-5x's the skimmate.

Compguy
04/17/2008, 08:04 AM
Octo's are nice skimmers, I would have bought one of those instead of a Euro-Reef if it had been in stock at my local store

Mappelbaum37
04/17/2008, 12:55 PM
I should've mentioned this, but I'm on a budget... $220 for the octo is where I max out. the red sea berlin is $190 if I'm correct. Just realized I dont have 6 1/2" of depth for the skimmer. (yes it needs to be HOB bec. I have no sump.) I guess I will be going with the octo bh300f

Thanks a lot for all the help!

Reefmaniac1
04/17/2008, 01:05 PM
15+ years ago, the Berlin/Berlin HOT were the hottest things on the market. They did a pretty good job, but with newer technologies (needle wheel, recirculating, etc) on the market, they just don't compare and you won't be happy. Do yourself a favor and put the money into another skimmer. I can't comment on the other brands, but experience speaks on the Berlins.

Mappelbaum37
04/17/2008, 03:38 PM
I dont have any room for the berlin. Not much I can do there. I wouldn't know what else I would get. I would probably max. out at $250. Any ideas on other skimmers I would be glad to hear them. I know that everyone has there own opinions on skimmers. I realized there is no "right" choice in this hobby. I can ask 20 people their opinions on a skimmer, 10 will say they love the skimmer, 10 will say they hate it. Any suggestions for a skimmer thats not over 250, lemme know and I'll be happy to look into it... Thanks

kaiser
04/17/2008, 06:20 PM
I'd check around, you might be able to get the rogue for that. Also Red Sea has a new generation of berlins out now, called the X2.

kodyboy
04/17/2008, 08:49 PM
if you have a sump why not an octopus nw150? If you can fit it why not an octopus nw200? If it must be an HOB go with the Bermuda Rogue Wave:)

Mappelbaum37
04/18/2008, 06:00 PM
If the bermuda rogue was almost $100 less, then I would be all over it. But life's not fair. I was at my LFS today and asked them for any skimmer suggestions. They use this one in there sump.

http://www.aquacave.com/clean-up-75-protein-skimmerbr-by-won-brothers-491.html

My friend is also using one of these and he has a beautiful 72g reef with 8 fish if I'm correct. I would probably go with the 125 skimmer not the 75, because in this hobby, the bigger the better is what I hear...

Anyone think this skimmer is a waste of my money, or I should go for it?

Thanks

Mappelbaum37
04/18/2008, 06:07 PM
this is the link for the 125

http://www.aquacave.com/clean-up-125-protein-skimmerbr-by-won-brothers-490.html

kaiser
04/18/2008, 09:23 PM
I don't mean to be rude, but this is one of those things that happens to almost everybody in this hobby. Say you go ahead and get the $60 skimmer for now in about a month you'll find out it doesn't work and go ahead and order the octopus for $220 or the red sea berlin X2 for $250. Bottom line you ended up spending more than you wanted to begin with and you get all frustrated about it. Or you can bite the bullet and buy a proven performer and be done with it. You got a skimmer on that tank right now, so wait another month and set some money aside and get the Rogue. BTW, the Prizm you have right now probably works better then the Won Brothers.

Mappelbaum37
04/19/2008, 07:48 AM
Well in that case, seeing as the won brothers skimmer isn't good at all, I'll wait on the skimmer bec. the octopus is out of stock, and I would get the redsea berlin x2 but the dimensions are too big for the space I would be hanging it behind the tank in. I am going to call redsea now and see if they can give me some dimensions bec. everyone I've called so far have given me diff. sizes on the skimmer...

Thanks for the feedback. More suggestions are welcome..

OceanSpray
04/19/2008, 08:43 AM
I use an aqua c remora pro with a mag 3 pump on my 75 gallon.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~protein_skimmers_aquac_remora_pro.html
It has been working well for a couple of years now, pulling a lot of gunk out of the water. It does produce microbubbles from time to time. Over all I'm happy with it. Many others are reporting great results with the octopus and the bermuda rogue. They are all probably good skimmers. Best of luck with it!

Mappelbaum37
04/20/2008, 07:37 AM
Thank you for the help everyone.. I'm going to end up purchasing the octo unless I magically find the rogue somewhere for almost $100 cheaper... :) thAnks again!