PDA

View Full Version : Lifespan of Tanks.

FinsToTheLeft
04/16/2008, 06:13 PM
I was reading through some other threads when I though of this...

What is the lifespan of a tank?

What I mean is should the actual tank ever be replaced? Are they in danger of cracking or breaking after, say 20 years? Does the silicone holding it together wear away?

My glass 75 gal is 7 years old now, which I believe is "young."

What do you think?

MCsaxmaster
04/17/2008, 12:18 AM
Glass tanks generally are rated for ~10 years under normal cirumstances. After that point, the integrity of the seals may become compromised. Acrylic tanks should be ok essentially indefintely. The seams of acrylic tanks inovolve chemical bonding of the acrylic. The seams, if properly done, are actually stronger than the rest of the acrylic ;)

liveforphysics
04/17/2008, 05:02 AM
Yet in reality, large acrylic tanks seem to often have massive cracks and other failures in less than 5 years.

I realize this is not always the case with all acrylic tanks. However, from the number emergency moves of large acrylic tanks I've had to help with that are local to my area, it seems to be about 50/50 for failures by the 5 year mark. If you even look at the number of TOTM acrylic tanks that have cracked or had seams fail, it's pretty staggering. On a few occasions I've seen long radius corners on 1"+ thick top bracing crack clear to the edge. It always amazes me how on earth it works that an acrylic tank is fine for the first few years, then just cracks out of the blue for some reason.

I have a glass tank that was made in 1978. I use it for QT. It's a 55gal made out of 3/8th thick glass with a very thick black enamel frame. It's been on the original silicone since my parents owned it. The glass is scratched up, the silicone is tinted blue, but it seals and functions as well as the day it was made, and it's 30 years old.

From my own observation, if a glass tank is made right, it can last a very long time. If a small acrylic tank is made correctly, it can also last a very long time. Large acrylic tanks seem to have a pretty shockingly high failure rate from what I see in my own experience here in the pacfic NW area.

quincy2008
04/17/2008, 05:15 AM
I have a 11 year old 220 gallon acrylic tank and still looks great. I would like to see a survey of how many people have had problems with acrylic. We should all refrain from general statements that are not fact based. One should should simply say my experiences are and stop at that.

FinsToTheLeft
04/17/2008, 05:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12348360#post12348360 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MCsaxmaster
Glass tanks generally are rated for ~10 years under normal cirumstances.

Now you made me nervous. Lol. When a tank breaks, is it usually a leak that slowly drains the tank or boom, water goes everywhere?

Can you reinforce the corners with silicone when the tank is already established?

kzooreefer
04/17/2008, 07:19 AM
Where are people getting this 10 years for glass tanks from as I've seen it on other posts? When I go on the sealant manufacturers websites I see that most of them are guaranteed for +40 years. And glass well that can last a lot longer than 10 years. I've had glass tanks last well over 20 years without any problems and no that is not an exception to the rule. I've seen post from Waterkeeper where he talks about some of his glass tanks being in the 30 to 40 year age range and still going strong.

kzooreefer
04/17/2008, 07:27 AM
Oceanic has a lifetime warranty on all their aquariums so 10 years seems pretty far fetched. They'd go out of business replacing aquariums for free every 10 years.

rizzle
04/17/2008, 09:29 AM
before i got my 72.. i had a 60 hex.. on the bottom of the tank it said it was built in 1987... scratched to hell but still held water like a champ...all original silicone.
i think well constructed aquariums have a pretty decent lifespan

ConsultantERP
04/17/2008, 01:15 PM
You would think the treatment of the aquarium would have something to do with it. Too an extreme, if I empty and refill my tank daily, then I believe the stress would cause acrylic to crack, and silicon to fail. If my kids bump into it alot, well same problem, but if it stays full, nothing bumps the glass or acrylic, and its protected from any additional pressure other than what the system applies, then it could last quite a long time, 40 years maybe.

WaterKeeper
04/17/2008, 03:47 PM
My dad had a 30 gallon glass back in 1952, WK dates himself ;), and it never failed until the chrome plating was so scratched that the steel frame began to rust. About 40 years later.

The main drawback with acrylic is not so much failure but clouding. Over time the minute particles in the water abrade the surface and the plastic gets a distinct haze. They have buffing kits that supposedly help but it never restores the clarity to where it was when new. The actual cracking I imagine is constant UV exposure from things like sunlight or MH lamp emissions.

I've has the "new" frameless, glass tanks for many years without a problem. The only time the silicone seams tend to fail is if an older tank is left dry for an extended period then refilled.

Jens Kallmeyer
04/18/2008, 01:46 AM
HI

My oldest tank is now in the 25 year range, still going strong although it stood dry in the attic for about 8 years, I specifically checked for cracks in the silicone but did not find any.
Regarding acrylic tanks, I think it really depends on the quality of the manufacturers. There are a number of acrylic show tanks that are up and running for at least 20 years and still going strong, while others have the infamous 5 year leak. The may problem may be the glueing of the different pieces and the drill holes. Both the glueing process and the crilling may create tensions in the material, good manufacturers heat the finished tank to take out all the tensions, other may not do so.
I remember when they build the Don-Aquacaree here in Berlin, they have a 75 ft high, 250,000 gal collumn aaquarium with an elevator going through it. They glued the different segments together, wrapped everything into an insulated sleeve and heated it for several days.
The making was amazing, but also the screw up afterwards...Don't go there.

Best wishes

Jens

WaterKeeper
04/18/2008, 08:30 AM
Just because I knocked acrylic that was not a reason to wake me up with an earthquake this morning Jens. Darn Geologists anyway. :D

coralnut99
04/18/2008, 09:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12349144#post12349144 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kzooreefer
Where are people getting this 10 years for glass tanks from as I've seen it on other posts? When I go on the sealant manufacturers websites I see that most of them are guaranteed for +40 years. And glass well that can last a lot longer than 10 years. I've had glass tanks last well over 20 years without any problems and no that is not an exception to the rule. I've seen post from Waterkeeper where he talks about some of his glass tanks being in the 30 to 40 year age range and still going strong.

I'm curious where the 10 years is coming from too?

I bred FW angels about 15 years ago, and had 3 45G's. After about 5 years, I had to shut everything down and the tanks were drained and sat dry for a few years. Then my nephew suckered me into this craze. Those 3 45G's went back into service for a few years, until I realized they weren't made for reefing. Emptied them again. Two years ago, they found a third life as prop tanks. I cut off the front pane, closed what was the the original top, and added bracing around the area where the front pane was. The original seems are still in service on 60% of the "re-constituted" tanks.

Cheekymonkey
04/18/2008, 09:22 AM
What effect do people think wave motion has on the tank?

I have a standard all-glass 120G but I have about a 1/2" wave running constantly... What effect would that have on the life of the tank.

WaterKeeper
04/18/2008, 09:41 AM
Cheek,

It shouldn't have much effect at all. Waves in a home aquarium don't have the force of true ocean waves. If they cause substrate movement then they may abrade glass or plastic to some extent but that would be about it.

Cheekymonkey
04/18/2008, 10:18 AM
Interesting I appreciate the differing opinion, several people local to me have been trying to tell me I should be worried about the tank cracking or the seams failing after just a couple years with the wave action...

Plato
04/19/2008, 09:44 AM
90 gallon all glass set up in 94 still running. 275 acrylic 72x24x36 1" cell cast acrylic set up scence 97 still running. I have went to help a frend because his 180 off brand glass tank seal blew after two years of operation. The manufacture of this tank went out of business. Law suits kinda make do that to you.

j7x7
04/20/2008, 02:12 AM
Just a couple thoughts about tank leaks, especially acrylic.

First is that there is great variation in the quality of construction. Well made glass or acrylic will be structurally sound for years. I have an Oceanic from the late 80's that is still running with no leaks.

Another important issue is the of leveling the base that supports the aquarium, this assures even weight distribution which prevents undue stress on any point.

With Acrylic it is crucial to support the aquarium across the bottom. Too often when people make their own stands fail to adequately address this need.

My only real reservation about acrylic aquariums from a quality maker is they scratch so d*** easy.

bsbarton
04/20/2008, 05:04 AM
I spoke to a manufacturer of glass tanks a few weeks ago. The reason I called is a friend but a tank that had the reinforcement ring around the top crack. We where looking to replace/repair it. His statements to me where...

No he would not get involved (obvious reasons).
His experience 10-20 years.
He would replace after 10 years. I questioned this. He said, Tanks are cheap. Coming home or waking up to your tank busted and your stock on the floor. Not worth it. I do not want to imagine what 180g would look like flowing through the house. Not for $500.

918ReefCpl
04/20/2008, 09:46 AM
Got a 55gal O'Dell (from '84) thats still holding up started as a Fresh water tank and switched to salt 15 yrs ago....usual salt creep around the top but nothing else. had it on a 1/2 thick styrofoam sheet since new

WaterKeeper
04/20/2008, 12:37 PM
Folks,

We have close to 190,000 members at RC. If tank ruptures were that common a thing we would hear about it--big time.