PDA

View Full Version : Quietest, most powerful fans

Waterbury Guy
04/16/2008, 07:08 PM
Which fans are the best for a canopy? Queit, powerful, and reliable. I recenlty switched from PC lighting to T5, and even after many opinions here said that T5s do not run any hotter then PCs, I'm having heat issues. Tank is at 84 right now, once summer hits I'm going to be in trouble.

chaseracing
04/16/2008, 07:11 PM
Do you have a lot of room? I use a 10" Clip on fan. 3 large blades that move a lot of air without having to spin at 10,000 rpm's.
Also.....My fan is aimed into the sump.

-=E=-

Waterbury Guy
04/16/2008, 07:17 PM
No, not much room at all.

Saltwater_Dog
04/16/2008, 07:28 PM
i use a small fan from wal-mart. It is quiet and keeps my tank cool. Temp stays 76-78. Fan is mounted in my canopy and points at the water. Summer is harsh here in the south and the little fan keeps everything nice and cool. I may see 80 on a real hot day, but it doesnt happen often.

ooja3k
04/16/2008, 11:52 PM
You should be using a fan with T-5's. They do run cooler than PC's, but to get the full PAR output from them, they need to be cooled. A small PC fan or two would be all it takes. You will increase their PAR output like 10-15% (i think thats about right...) and your tank will stay cooler too!!

pledosophy
04/17/2008, 12:11 AM
I use SilenX computer fans. Things move an incredible amount of air and are dead silent. They even make ones with LED's.

If your handy you can wire them with almost anything and save the cash on there power strip.

JME

I have also tried other brands of computer fans, and the coralife fan.

I use a 6" fan on my system in the summer months. I point it at the water in the sump and can get 4 to 5 degrees cooler then without. Significantly increases the amount of evaporation. HTH

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12348254#post12348254 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ooja3k
You should be using a fan with T-5's. They do run cooler than PC's, but to get the full PAR output from them, they need to be cooled. A small PC fan or two would be all it takes. You will increase their PAR output like 10-15% (i think thats about right...) and your tank will stay cooler too!!

I've read that before but the rep from Sunlight stated that for the first 15 minutes or so of running a fan the PAR increased, but ater that it went back to normal. Same effect after removing the fans.

Waterbury Guy
04/17/2008, 06:22 AM
Are CPU fans OK to use in a reef environment? Any issues with saltwater?

pledosophy
04/17/2008, 08:29 AM
IME as long as they are wired correctly there is no issue with them. Been using them for years. Pretty common practice.