PDA

View Full Version : nassarius snails?

MIKE ALERS
04/17/2008, 09:01 AM
wondering if nassarius snails are harmful to clams.specially clams under 3".

macronut
04/17/2008, 09:08 AM
Personally I don't think so. Only way I would see them harming the clam would be if it were dying, then they might clean it up.

useskaforevil
04/17/2008, 10:24 AM
i don't think they'll eat the clams, however i think somone has had problems with them crawling into the clam and irritating it to close on the snail and then still being irritating so the clam never really opens again. but if no one backs up this claim i would ignore it, i'm just trying to remember something i heard awhile ago.

pagojoe
04/17/2008, 11:05 AM
I can't guarantee you they are harmful to small clams, but I personally would take any of the large Nassarius species out of the clam tank for at least a month to give the clam a chance to settle in. They still might kill the clam later if they get hungry, although there are a lot of people on here that will excuse them by saying the clam must have been dying. This may or may not be true, so use your own best judgment.

Cheers,

Don

luke33
04/17/2008, 12:15 PM
I have nassarius snails and a sebae nem was put in my tank that a pal had. I think it was nearly dead when he added it to try and save it. Well, within 10min the snails were devouring it. I should have taken some pics as it was quite violent. They had it completely gone by morning. I've had a bta for 7mths now and they didn't want any part of it although its healthy as a horse. I think they will only eat dying animals, many people keep these snails and many people keep clam's so i'd say if they did eat clams there would be many posts about it. My .02