PDA

View Full Version : Just curious: Records

mpoletti
04/17/2008, 04:04 PM
I was updating my spread sheet today with a couple of new acquistions and adding a few to to the deceased list from the recent move and it got me thinking.

How many other SPS'r keep records on their tank and especially lineage of corals?

I keep mine on an excell spreadsheet with who I got it from and who they got it from if possible, as well as, who I frag my pieces for. Anyone else have this same compulsion?

Ian
04/17/2008, 04:06 PM
Dang Mark... You're definately Powerless...

eagleONE
04/17/2008, 04:23 PM
I do, but then again I don't have quite the extent of corals as you do so it's a little easier... haha

tbone28
04/17/2008, 05:12 PM
Wow, Mark, you're hardcore!

Chelsey
04/17/2008, 06:02 PM
I do. I have a chart that states when I got them, who I got them from, how big they were when purchased, lineage (if applicable) and what lighting and flow they prefer.

JOSE CASAS
04/17/2008, 06:42 PM
I do to buts its all in my head.:confused: Lol.

mpoletti
04/17/2008, 06:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12353884#post12353884 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JOSE CASAS
I do to buts its all in my head.:confused: Lol.

Come on Jose, you're better than that. Thanks for helping me correct my records :D

tuberider
04/17/2008, 07:08 PM
I do I have a dirty old memo book I write everything in (equip changes, params, new animals etc.), reminds me I need to get a new one!

snipersps
04/17/2008, 07:49 PM
I have everithing on my mind :D
i think its really hard to keep everything on record but I try to do the best thst could happen

kraash
04/17/2008, 09:02 PM
I have a calendar that I write any new live additions (with size, color, price I paid, and where it came from) , any chemical dosing, water changes, new equipment, etc. I use a different colored ink for each, making it easy to look back and easily recognize the step I am looking for. I also try to take a pic of any coral or fish I get to have a growth record.

MechEng99
04/17/2008, 09:05 PM
::sigh:: I have an Excel spreadsheet...with the scientific name of the coral, the nickname of the coral, who I obtained it from, the purchase price, the color, how long it has been in the tank....

And the worst part is...I actually have my power/chemical/etc usage calculated per month...so I can figure out how many frags I need and what growth rate I need on each coral to break even. Such a loser. ;)

OnlyCrimson
04/17/2008, 09:15 PM
Wow, some of you guys are relentless in your quest for documentation! I only keep records of dosing, water quality, hardware changes and when/what corals I get. All on good ole paper notebook in black ink.

dvanacker
04/17/2008, 09:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12355115#post12355115 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MechEng99
::sigh:: I have an Excel spreadsheet...with the scientific name of the coral, the nickname of the coral, who I obtained it from, the purchase price, the color, how long it has been in the tank....

And the worst part is...I actually have my power/chemical/etc usage calculated per month...so I can figure out how many frags I need and what growth rate I need on each coral to break even. Such a loser. ;)

WOW.....if your breaking even I think your one of the very few.

Keeping track of corals is a good idea....but I think remembering some of the ones I've lost would be depressing.

In the future I think I will make such a list though.

Husky_1
04/17/2008, 09:41 PM
I tend to keep track in a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet has all of my major water test results, not the one offs though. It also has a list of corals that I would like, and records of the fish/coral that include where/when, and if they have died. In the spreadsheet there is a power calc, but I rarely use it. I also have my major planning in there for any upcoming projects, I do not keep the project data long though.

This is all on google docs, so that i can access it online from anywhere, and is shared with a good friend of mine that uses it for other things as well.

BLKTANG
04/17/2008, 10:04 PM
I keep a 1 subject notebook,with Test results,livestock introduction date,price,where i got it (who),& lineage.Also WC's dosing ammounts.

dots
04/17/2008, 10:06 PM
Since I don't have that many, I have them mentally logged.

snorvich
04/18/2008, 04:50 AM
Records? What are those? I do keep my test results on the computer so I can track the parameters I test for.

nismo driver
04/18/2008, 06:08 AM
repeat after me.. "hi my name is XXXXX and i have a reef addiction problem"

at one point i did start a notepad file with the genus and species of all the coral i had that i was able to identify but pretty much gave up.

mkbtank
04/18/2008, 06:47 AM
can't do anything a little biut, can you Mark! 1 coral is too many, and a thousand is never enough..........

Great thread though. I should do this too.

Kip
04/18/2008, 06:47 AM
i keep husbandry/equipment notes in aquanotes... but i dont track livestock... pretty much from pictures/dates i can tell when i received/purchased something... but i dont have any family trees anywhere

-=Efrain=-
04/18/2008, 11:22 AM
I also keep a spreadsheet but the saddest part is that I also keep a running total on all tank expenses from the very begining at the very top right next to the water change dates to remind me of how much money I have invested and to do my water changes or else..

xtm
04/18/2008, 11:53 AM
wow and I thought I was the only one doing this. I document everything that happens in my tank... water changes, frag additions, dosing, test results, etc. When I notice a tissue loss I document that also.. the progression rate and all that. I keep it on a TXT file in a laptop that sits right next to the tank. Not to mention my RKII logs the pH and Temp readings every minute...

As for lineage, I don't do it- it's practically impossible to do. I do, however keep a picture AND species ID of almost 90% of my frags and colonies. I feel bad if I acquire something and NOT knowing what it is. When somebody points at a coral in your tank and you say.. "err I have no idea, all I know is that it's an Acro.." It's a bad feeling that is hard to describe.. it's like having a kid and not knowing his name, lol.

I guess working in Accounting does this to you..lol :p

nismo driver
04/18/2008, 11:56 AM
why not just setup a access database? then you could atleast keep your records in a format that you could query? add a few forms and link in some photos so you can have a statistical and visual database

mpoletti
04/18/2008, 12:00 PM
If someone was good with computer programs, I have a couple ideas for you to market :) I am just someone with the gift of gab, so my technicals kills are less than desireable.

xtm
04/18/2008, 12:07 PM
well I thought about that MS Access/SQL database idea.. but it's overkill, lol. I want something that is 'quick and dirty' that I can whip out when I need to add a quick note. Notepad it is! :D

Kip
04/18/2008, 12:29 PM
keeping up w/ expenses... no way in HEdoubleHockeysticks i'd do this... i'd go crazy

i do my best to ignore expenses

mpoletti
04/18/2008, 12:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12358947#post12358947 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kip
keeping up w/ expenses... no way in HEdoubleHockeysticks i'd do this... i'd go crazy

i do my best to ignore expenses

Me too. I just keep record of my corals.

Unarce
04/18/2008, 01:11 PM
I used to maintain a spreadsheet when I first started collecting, but no one bothers asking me about lineage anymore.

It's a short list of sources now, anyway, so it's all in my head;)

mpoletti
04/18/2008, 01:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12359228#post12359228 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Unarce
I used to maintain a spreadsheet when I first started collecting, but no one bothers asking me about lineage anymore.

It's a short list of sources now, anyway, so it's all in my head;)

I guess that is the problem now Karl, It just seems like the collectors of old have gone by the way side with the the new generation of instant reefs :(

91yota
04/18/2008, 02:04 PM
i know when i started the hobby... other than that i keep the last month or 2 worth of "data" in my head... and i pretty much know where every coral i have came from... quite a few from Kip actually :)

Jester
04/18/2008, 11:33 PM
I have tried to keep records, but it seems hard to keep up with it for me... I am barely able to find the time to do my maintenance tasks... which is why I jsut got done cleaning the skimmer and in the process of mixing water for a water change at 1:30am... heheheee...

If any of you would feel gracious enough to share your excel templates for the record dysfunctional people, we would all appreciate it... I know I would... =)

Jester

Mikey Donuts
04/21/2008, 04:36 AM
Mark, after seeing how you keep records I decided to do the same. I started the other night and wrote down a description of every piece in my tank, the month I got it, who it was from, how much I paid and the growth rate. My wife freaked out when she saw the list of 80+ pieces (mixed). I've definitely been bitten by the SPS bug and I've been lucky so far with the 25 or so pieces I've got. I even nursed a birdsnest back to health from almost bare skeleton. Anyway, the records help keep track of legit LEs vs. the lookalikes.

CleveYank
04/21/2008, 05:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12352805#post12352805 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Marko9
I was updating my spread sheet today with a couple of new acquistions and adding a few to to the deceased list from the recent move and it got me thinking.

How many other SPS'r keep records on their tank and especially lineage of corals?

I keep mine on an excell spreadsheet with who I got it from and who they got it from if possible, as well as, who I frag my pieces for. Anyone else have this same compulsion?

I keep complete SPS records.
when I bought it,
what it's supposed to be called,
what it's growth requirements and habits are,
who I bought it from,
record of lineage notes if any,
was it parasite loaded,
AND was it sold as parasite-free,
what dies,
what I paid for it.

slojmn
04/21/2008, 07:56 AM
I have an excel spread sheet that notes common name, who I got it from, paid/trade, and date...that's it for livestock. Unfortunately it is woefully out of date as it is on our laptop that died back in November and has been in the shop for the past month. I have slowed down collecting since November but there are still a number of things that need to be added. I do know how much I spent on micromussas a year and a half ago when I was obsessed with them...:( I have very few left. They just don't like my nutrient poor system. That is the only cash amount I am very aware of wasting. Otherwise I know a ball park figure for what I have spent on my tanks but I don't think about it very often and I most certainly keep it to myself, lol.

I keep a pen and ink notebook on params, harware changes, etc. I have been a little lazy about that one in the past 6 months as well but I do get the weekly params in and the major hardware stuff like bulbs, carbon, and zeo rock change dates.

tfp
04/21/2008, 11:55 AM
ugh...i hate to admit it...but i keep a very detailed excel workbook with multiple worksheets :(.

water params tab: tracks weekly water test results, water changes, media, equipment, filter changes, feeding/salt changes, along with any possible correlations.

active stock tab: date, from who, lineage, trade/purchase price, condition, color, initial size, placement in my tank. it ain't perfect, but enuf for me.

expired stock tab: all the ones that didn't make it or i decided to give up on.

fish load tab: date, where i purchased, price and condition.

coral distribution tab: who and what i've sold/traded/given too. this is a great resource for reacquiring something back or calling in favors in return :D. but sadly, it also tells the test of time. since many people exit the hobby, earn a bad reputation or magically "forget" what i gave them and i'm left high and dry :(.

i probably spend as much time keeping it updated as i do maintaining my tank :mad2:!

mpoletti
04/21/2008, 12:53 PM
Thank you Alicia and Tim. I guess there are not as many people doing this anymore. I am grateful to you guys for showing me the ropes.

This thread has been open for a few days now and we are only one page 2, It does look like collectors are going by the wayside. :( I guess its all about money for most.

I still like the hunt, the stories, and the people who keep their records :D

bill-fit
04/22/2008, 08:52 PM
I keep a log book of everythng I do with the tank. Maintenance, additions, water parameters stuff like that. I haven't been keeping track of where corals came from, I like that idea.

I find it makes it much eaiser to make decisions and plan maintenence.