PDA

View Full Version : Majestic Angel Experiences

R.W.
04/17/2008, 04:35 PM
I just bought a Majestic Angel and i am wondering what experiences people had with this fish.

R.W.
04/19/2008, 11:45 AM
bump!

reef_doug
04/19/2008, 12:00 PM
Awesome fish!

The first one (3-3/4") didn't eat and eventually passed. It looked like a very young adult.

I found a 5" Adult at a LFS and he was eating everything, pellets & flake you name it so I picked him up. Going on 5 months now and hasn't touched any Croceas, SPS, Zoas, or shrooms. Occasionally nipped at Frogspawn which didn't bother me. I don't have brain corals so can't comment with those.

They need about 40% algae in their diet. Mine loves the Julian Sprungs Purple Seaveggie sheets. Likes the green also. Good to use some frozen spirulina cubes mashed up also.

A 90 gal might be a bit small for him though.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u60/reef_doug/RC%20Jan%2008/DSC01004.jpg

Felixc
04/19/2008, 03:44 PM
I've got a beautiful 4" from Tonga, it's more orange rather than yellow. Been in the tank for 2 months with sps, lps, zoa, has not touch anything. Loves to eat, not picky at all.

melanotaenia
04/19/2008, 04:44 PM
the key to these fish is good collection techniques, parasite free, and eating well before taking it home for your aquarium. If those requirements are met, they are generally hardy Angels IME

R.W.
04/19/2008, 11:33 PM
Mine is also very orange, i will post some pics for you guys to see. It has sore skin around its mouth because it keeps pressing it's face against the glass. I have it in QT right now trying to get it to eat. I am feeding it "marine cuisine" and some type of pellets (forget name, will update later). I bought it at the LFS right as soon as it became available (day after it came in).

Kahuna Tuna
04/20/2008, 01:37 AM
I just added a majestic to my 180 gallon system two months ago and he is doing very well. He was eating from the first day and other than being very shy at the beginning he was a very solid fish and adapted to the tank very quickly. Mine eats like a pig and takes mysis, plankton, angel formula, new life spectrum pellets, and loves nori sheets.

The fish is getting bolder by the day, I will try to get a decent pic. This fish is in fgull adult colors, about 4 inches and gets along great with my tangs and rabbitfish and pretty much ignores all of the other inhabitants. When this angel was first introduced it was extremely shy and I really stayed away from the tank for a few days and let it settle in. From everything I have read and my recent experience with this fish indicates it will generally do well if you get a healthy, feeding specimin and provide a good environment. The majestic is just a beautiful angel and is one of the smallest and least aggressive Pomanthus and is also one of the more reef safe large angels. About the only negative is its shyness, they arent nearly as bold as an emperor for instance.

achillestang2002
04/20/2008, 10:16 AM
My majestic has been with me for about 3 years now. He hasn't picked on anything I add to my tank other acans. I have leathers, mushrooms, zoas, australian scolymia, bubble coral, dendrophylia, duncans whiskers, other lps, and sps. Yet he sure liked the heck out of australian acans. :( What you do - I love the fish more than the coral so goodbye acans.

R.W.
04/20/2008, 06:23 PM
mine isn't eating. An ideas on how i should get him to eat?

teog
04/20/2008, 07:38 PM
I took a 5 inch magestic on trade about 1 month ago. He was getting too bold and picking at corals in some one elses tank. He had the magestic for 1 yr.

I placed in him in my 180 FOWLR and he eats everything. I feed mainly frozen cubes of all types. Frozen mysis, formula 1 and 2, prime reef and loves julians sprungs purple algea.

So far he has been a model citizen in my tank.
Good luck to yours.

Here is a pic.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/teog/majestic1.jpg

R.W.
04/20/2008, 07:40 PM
mine has been rubbing its face on the glass to the point where its mouth is sore and the skin is white. Is that something i should be worried about? Plus the fact that he isn't eating. :(

mandynm
04/20/2008, 08:12 PM
I'm happy to hear about all the good experiences with the Majestic. I've fallen in love with them and have had to convince myself not to buy one off Diver's Den every time they pop up. The biggest tank i have is a 75g right now, but I'm upgrading to a 240long in a few months so I'm just waiting until it's bought, in place before it gets purchased and into QT.

Beautiful pics to those that posted them.