PDA

View Full Version : How to acclimate rbta under new MH?

littletruong
04/17/2008, 05:48 PM
So i just got my new metal halides w/96w pc's. My question is, my rbta has been under my pc 10k lighting for a couple of months now and was wondering how would i acclimate it to the MH's?

Lmecher
04/17/2008, 09:37 PM
You could shade it by placing something over it that will diffuse the lighting or if it's directly under the light something more solid, the MH will be quite a shock. (remember MH get very hot and will melt or burn anything too close) Leave lights on a few hours less and gradually work it up to full strength over the next week or so. You'll know when it's ready by the way it acts. Just don't expose it too soon.
Good luck

heap
04/17/2008, 09:42 PM
one nice thing about nems in comparison to corals in a situation like this...if the nem doesn't like the lighting it's getting, it can move.

i use a couple of layers of window screen between the light and the tank, removing a layer each day, for helping acclimate the tank to new bulbs if that helps, tho.

littletruong
04/18/2008, 12:11 AM
thanks for the info lmecher and heap. I'll try doing that.

Biocubist
04/18/2008, 10:49 AM
What wattage is the MH? Is the BTA right under the MH and how close is the BTA to the surface. Having the MH directly under the BTA might be too much. Acclimation is definitely the key here.

littletruong
04/18/2008, 11:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12358219#post12358219 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Biocubist
What wattage is the MH? Is the BTA right under the MH and how close is the BTA to the surface. Having the MH directly under the BTA might be too much. Acclimation is definitely the key here.

the wattage is 175 and the light is hanging about 6 inches from the lid of the tank. the tank is a 90g.

captainobvious
04/18/2008, 01:00 PM
I'd go with what heap said. Use the screens and remove one each day for about a week.