PDA

View Full Version : Help with micro bubbles in display tank!!!

Jason Edwards
04/17/2008, 08:05 PM
Hello everyone,
I recently set up a new 175 gallon reef tank. I have a custom made sump with mud in the center part of the sump. There are several partitions in the sump to help break up bubbles and I have 1200 gallon per hour flowing through it. No way to hook up a filter sock on this system. Does anyone have any other ideas how to get rid of micro bubbles in the display tank???

ooja3k
04/17/2008, 08:08 PM
Your sump should have a flow through rate of about 5x your display tank volume.

Do you have a ball valve on your return line to the display?? this would allow you to slow down the flow a bit.

You are going to want much slower flow through rates than you currently have especially if you are going to have a refugium in it, like it sounds like you are...

MR PALM BEACH
04/17/2008, 08:12 PM
My first suggesting would be filter sock but I seen you stated cant hook one up. The 1200 gph is that the total gph of the pump? or Is that with the head feet subtracted? One more how big Is the sump/fuge?

Jason Edwards
04/17/2008, 08:17 PM
that is the total gph of the pump, I have about 6 ft of head pressure and one elbow. The sump size is 36l x15w x16h with a 1" bulkhead, I have the flow split two ways to both outtakes on the tank.