PDA

View Full Version : I bought the new Koralia pumps

2fishy
04/18/2008, 06:40 AM
and it turns out that it appears they can only be used on the Koralia wavemaker!:eek2: :eek1:

I had to run to the store and had bought 2 Koralia 2's last week, but then saw that they had the new Koralia's with the different flow rates. Of course I was thinking that they could be used with any wavemaker. Nope. It appears that they are specifically made for their wavemaker and don't have the conventional plug on the end.

Back to the store again.:rolleyes:

RumLad
04/18/2008, 08:53 AM
Did you get the 12 volt pumps? I understood those to be the only Koralias that could be used on their wavemaker, when it became available.
What store carried the pumps/

Nanz
04/18/2008, 09:35 AM
Marine Depot has the pumps and the wavemaker.

abulgin
04/18/2008, 09:37 AM
I just bought a second Koralia 3 and placed it at the opposite end of my tank (110g) from the other one. Personally, these two pumps create a lot of turbulent water flow without the need for a wavemaker/controller, as evidenced by the movement of my Pipe Organ. For $24 each, I just don't see the benefit of paying for the contolled ones.

2fishy
04/18/2008, 11:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12357424#post12357424 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RumLad
Did you get the 12 volt pumps? I understood those to be the only Koralias that could be used on their wavemaker, when it became available.
What store carried the pumps/

I got these from F & S (which is my LFS). It was my own fault though. I didn't realize that they were made specifically for their wavemaker. I should have done my research. I would by the wavemaker, but I don't earn enough money for that!:lol:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18915

abulgin, where did you get your's for $24 each? That's a great deal!!

I wonder if the regular Koralia's would do okay on a wavemaker or if it would end up burning the pump out?

abulgin
04/18/2008, 11:33 AM
http://www.aloha-aquariums.com/servlet/the-957/Hydor-Pump-Koralia-3/Detail

That's so cheap that I opted for 2-day FedEx for $13 extra. Still cheaper than anywhere else.

2fishy
04/18/2008, 11:44 AM
Oh my gosh! Did you see that it is cheaper than the 1, 2, and the 4?! What a deal! Strange! But what a deal!!!!:lol:

abulgin
04/18/2008, 11:51 AM
I did notice that and have no idea why, other than maybe the Koralia 3 is popular and they can sell a lot of volume? Don't know. What I do know is that's a great deal.

RumLad
04/18/2008, 12:09 PM
FWIW, I have my Koralia Nano on a timer (multiple cycle type) that runs a couple hours on, off for a bit, on again etc for 8 cycles between 0800 and 2100 hours and then off for the night time hours. Been on for just over a month so far with no problems, yet.