PDA

View Full Version : Need some controller decision help?

Reefbox
04/18/2008, 07:02 PM
I'm looking to get my first controller this summer.

I mainly want it to be able to:

1) Text message me temperatures and temp alarms via PC.

2) Control tank temp via turning fan on/off/slow/fast.

3) Let me know when there is a power failure.

4) turn on a plugged in battery backup air stone.

So far i have been investigating the reefkeeper controller, automated aquariums TC flex controller, ocopus 4000 and neptune controller.

Any input experiences would b greatly appreciated.

tbittner
05/03/2008, 08:37 PM
Depends....

Do you ever think you'd want to monitor Salinity, Calcium, Alk, NitrAtes, or any of the chemicals?

Do you think you'd ever want to monitor the flow within a pipe? If the flow stops in one pipe then your controller turns off a pump to prevent a flood?

I bought most of the pieces and parts for my controller from Automated Aquariums and I built my own controller. For auto top off, I have three salinity probes monitoring the salinity. When the salinity creeps up .0003, my controller turns on the top off pump and brings the salinity back to 1.026. My salinity doesn't waver more than .0003.

I monitor the return pipes for flow and turn off the return pump if the flow is stopped.

I added a button that when pushed, all pumps are turned off for a feeding cycle, and turned back on after 15 minutes. If I push it twice, it leaves the CL pump running.

I developed a lot of code to run this controller though, so unless you're a programmer, this isn't an option. Their TC flex controller is a good device too though.

If you don't think you'd ever need that kind of sophistication, then I don't think you'd go wrong with the AC Jr. I know a lot of people who are THRILLED with that unit and you can't complain about the price.