PDA

View Full Version : t5 lighting

kevymv
04/19/2008, 05:30 PM
T5 high-output fluorescent retrofit kit complete with IceCap SLR individual parabolic reflectors for each bulb made from 96% German reflective aluminum, three electronic ballasts (Universal AccuStart or Vossloh-Schwabe), a power-cord and color-coded wire bundle for each ballast, moisture proof end-caps, standoffs and choice of bulbs from any of our current selection of high-quality lamps. Kit sold complete except for mounting screws. Some assembly required. Ballasts engineered specifically to run T5 high-output bulbs for optimal performance and longer lamp life. (Don't settle for inferior T5 electronic ballasts, like the Workhorse, that are commonly sold with other T5 retrofit kits.) Multiple ballasts allow for independent lamp control. Runs cool and produces virtually no noise. Warranty: 1 year.

Description Our Price Qty
48" 6x54W SLR T5 High-Output Retrofit Kit w/ Bulbs

I'm going to be getting this kit from Reefgeeks. What bulbs should I get with this unit. Any advice would be appreciated. Is this a good kit. It's in my budget so not sure what you guys think. I just got a canopy so thinking of getting rid of my pc's for this. Thanks
Kevin

photobret
04/19/2008, 07:08 PM
What are you going to be keeping? How deep is your tank?

I am having great success with this setup:

UVL Super Actinic
Giesmann 14k
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
UVL aquasun
ATI Blue Plus

Make sure to have a fan cooling bulbs, my tank is 18" deep, lights are 6" off the water and am keeping everything from Zoas , LPS and SPS with great growth. Check out the T5 forum for more info.

kevymv
04/19/2008, 08:17 PM
90 gallon. I'm mostly keeping LPS and softies and try some SPS I hope. Thanks
Kevin

kevymv
04/20/2008, 06:00 PM
bump for some love

filippo
04/20/2008, 07:12 PM
I am very interested too.

Check this out: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1373482&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

DarG might have THE answer :)

luckynemo
04/20/2008, 08:24 PM
I just got 48" ficture 8x54w for my new 90gal. with Giesemann bulbs:

2 x Aquablue+
2 x Actinic+
4 x Midday 6000k

Just wondering, is that a good set up? Opinions?

qfrisco
04/21/2008, 11:56 AM
If you're getting the lights from ReefGeek, just ask Greg what his recommendations are for bulbs. I bought an IceCap T5 retrofit kit from ReefGeek, and Greg called me within an hour to talk about bulb selections.

By the way, I got the 4x54w retrofit kit (Ice Cap ballast, so the bulbs are being driven with about 80w each) for my 90g and I SEEM to be getting pretty good growth on the SPS that I have, so I think your 6x54w should be ok. I say "SEEM" because I don't know how much better the growth could be. My only other experience with lights is with the PC lights I had before I got the T5s.

kevymv
04/22/2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks everyone for responses