PDA

View Full Version : help purchasing tank

tony45power
04/19/2008, 06:36 PM
my tank i think is ready to break and i am looking to purchase a 180 tank. i have a 6'x18"x30" now but the tank is too high.

i want a tank 6'x2'x2'. should i purchase a acrylic or glass? my floor i made level but when my kids run around the house the tank shakes a bit...would a acrylic tank be stronger and better for me?
whats the difference from acylic or glass.

is there any good websites i can look at to purchase a tank? the LFS wants like a 1200$ for the tank i want i thought that was a bit high.

Aquarist007
04/19/2008, 06:39 PM
its the floor and the floor joists that cause the shaking
you need to make sure the tank is perpindicular to the way the floor joists are running

tony45power
04/19/2008, 06:49 PM
yeah they arnt thats the problem. i aded some floor joist under the tank and added the beams. i think i might take the joists out that i added and put some cats in. i cant move the tank either.

if i get another tnak i will build it in the wall with a strong stand.
right now my tank is level front to back buts its about 3/8 out of level lengh.

Macimage
04/19/2008, 09:37 PM
If you have a recycler or craigslist, I'd check for a good used deal. You can also look in the RC used equipment section (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=2) or post in the RC local reef club section (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=534)to see what other members are selling.

Joyce

Gtstricky
04/19/2008, 09:59 PM
I have heard good things about glasscages.com

Michael
04/19/2008, 11:33 PM
personally id go with a glass tank if six foot long, im not into acrylic, some of the guys here love em though so i think its personal choice, by the way get the kids to run about in the yard instead, or strengthen that floor, i would strengthen it anyhow, good luck with it

Macimage
04/19/2008, 11:53 PM
I have heard good things about glasscages.com

There are many threads and posts about Glasscages from less than happy customers.

Joyce

jthao
04/20/2008, 12:25 AM
I was a big fan of glass tanks.... but after I got an acrylic tank I really like acrylic now, so I guess both are good, it's just a personal preference, acrylic can scratch easy, but also easy to get scratches out, glass is hard to scratch, but impossible to remove scratch.

tony45power
04/20/2008, 06:34 AM
can you post some glass cages threads i like the acrylic idea becauce they are lighter and they arnt siliconed together.

Aquarist007
04/20/2008, 08:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12367662#post12367662 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tony45power
yeah they arnt thats the problem. i aded some floor joist under the tank and added the beams. i think i might take the joists out that i added and put some cats in. i cant move the tank either.

if i get another tnak i will build it in the wall with a strong stand.
right now my tank is level front to back buts its about 3/8 out of level lengh.

Tony I still would not be deciding on a tank because of a floor/support problem
whether it is acrylic or glass--they both can be knocked over--esp by kids---and that size of tank falling on someone--breaking or not would be the least of the problem
What's on the floor now--carpet---I just wondering if you can re nail the substrate--its probably where the give or bounce is

What a friend of mine did was actually put extra 2*10's between the other floor joices and renail the plywood substrate to them---that made a huge difference--you can jump on that floor now and the tank doesn't move at all