PDA

View Full Version : best way to attach mushroom and kenya tree to rock?

hops523
04/20/2008, 06:59 AM
I got some coral frags yesterday one is a mushroom and the other is a kenya tree. I wanted to know the best way to attach them to live rock so they wont float around in the tank. The kenya tree was attach to some small crushed coral, should I try and take those off and super glue it to a rock?Right now it is just in my sand. And I put the mushroom in a container in the tank for the night with some sand at the bottom so it will attach to that, what should I do with it now?

Young Joe Gibbs
04/20/2008, 08:33 AM
just put the kenya tree whereever you dont want it and it will attach and grow in about 15 minutes!

ACBlinky
04/20/2008, 09:53 AM
What I usually do with loose frags is put a small container (the breeder boxes used for mollies work well) in the sump where it will get low flow. I cover the bottom with rubble, and then toss in the frags. They'll attach within a few days, and once they're securely latched onto a piece of rubble I choose a location in the display and superglue/epoxy the rubble (with attached coral) into place. Easy peasy!

Another trick that works well with leathers that refuse to attach using the above method is elastics. Gently wrap the coral and a piece of rock/rubble with elastic bands (I use 3-4 at different angles for really difficult, slimy leathers) and place into a small container in the sump. After a week or two if the coral appears to be attaching and expanding well, I epoxy it into the display, elastics and all. It takes some leathers weeks to fully attach, so I just let the elastics rot away rather than pulling them off, which might dislodge the coral.

hops523
04/20/2008, 10:41 AM
what if the mushroom hasnt attached to the sand?can i still super glue it to some rock?

victor_c3
04/20/2008, 01:09 PM
I just used superglue gell with my keny tree fragments. Worked perfectly for me!

Macimage
04/20/2008, 04:48 PM
Do not take the kenya tree off the loose crushed coral, as that makes it easier for you to glue it into place in your tank rockwork. However, be sure to guard the site you glue for a few minutes with your hand, as the fish love to scout around a new addition and it's more common than you'd think to have fish get their mouths super glued shut.

Joyce

reefergeorge
04/20/2008, 06:57 PM
I always use a thread and tye the mushrooms to a piece of rubble. Let it alone, and it will attach in a few days, Then glue the rubble were you want it. Gluing a shroom itself won't work.

sw-addict
04/20/2008, 10:36 PM
most of the time I use super glue gel on shrooms, also like fishing line wrapped around a few times or get a piece of bridal veil or mesh fabric with small holes a small rock put the mushroom on the rock wrap with fabric and put a rubber band on loose ends under rock, wait about a week and remove fabric. Kenya tree I never tried, colts I sew onto rock with 6# fishing line and remove after a week.

vanmo92
04/20/2008, 11:21 PM
WHen I got my kenya tree frags I turned off the flow on that side of the tank, and placed it on the rock where I wanted it. THen after a few days it was attached.