PDA

View Full Version : Sump or not

mauls
04/20/2008, 12:05 PM
Hello, I've had my tank running for about a month now, the cycle is getting real close to complete.

tank is 75 gallons, with 70lbs of live sand, and 40lbs of live rock (plan to upgrade when I get more $$)

Anyways I have several spare 10 and 20 gallon tanks from old freshwater days. My questions.

Should I make a sump for my tank?

Should I use a 10gal or 20 gal, and how do I build a sump out of them.

What types of pumps and pipes should I get, I've never ran a sump in my life so I am a complete newb at them. I'd also like to start a fuge as well.

I'm on college funds, so let me know what pumps I could get by with the cheapest route possible.

Thanks in advance

Shawn

IslandCrow
04/20/2008, 12:31 PM
I'd definitely use the 20g as opposed to the 10g. I use a 20g long tank for my 46g and it's pretty cramped. My total system volume (refugium/frag tank, main tank and sump) is around 100g, and the 20g sump is just barely big enough to handle the water volume without risk of overflow. As a note, don't use any tank you've ever treated with copper.

As far as the setup of the sump, it can be simple or complex. A simple sump would have a drain line from the main tank (either drilled into the back of the tank or connected to a hang on back (HOB) overflow) that empties into the sump. Then a medium sized pump would push the water back up to the main tank. Generally, about 4-5x your total water volume is moved through the sump. In other words, a 75g tank + 20g sump would have 380-475 gph going back up to the main tank. You may want to take a look at http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html for some ideas. Some of his designs are a bit intricate, but it will give you some ideas.

Aquarist007
04/20/2008, 12:34 PM
to quote one of the most knowledgeable guys on here:

Here are the numerous benefits derived from incorporating a sump into your current setup:

Increased total water volume - This dilutes your water of accumulating pollutants, and helps avoid issues that occur quickly in sumpless tanks.
Skims the surface - No more surface scum, just crystal clear water.
Lowers temperature - I've observed a 2° F drop after the sump is installed.
Hides equipment - Heaters, protein skimmers, monitoring probes, grounding probes and more can be moved to the sump & out of the display tank.
Consistent water level - The display tank will maintain the same water level all the times; evaporation occurs in the sump over time (see auto top-off).
Safe place to pour in additives - Adding chemicals or new (Reverse Osmosis De-Ionized) water in the sump allows it to mix before entering the display tank.
Increased circulation - The return water from the sump is yet another way to move water in your tank. You can point the return outlet(s) in different directions to create flow, instead of putting more powerheads in your display tank!
Increased oxygenation - As water drains into your sump, air mixes in the water, allowing beneficial gas exchange, releasing CO2 and adding fresh O2.

RyanMKintz
04/20/2008, 01:50 PM
IMO get the biggest sump you can fit.

sspeedguy
04/20/2008, 02:48 PM
I'm doing just what your thinking!
I'm using an 18g I had laying around for a sump and a 8g I had for a fuge.
Although I have no water in them yet (2 days with any luck!!) there are allot of benefits I can already see,
If I had all the equipment in the tank that I have in the sump there wouldnt be any room for any reef lol!!!!!

Aquarist007
04/20/2008, 02:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12372502#post12372502 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sspeedguy
I'm doing just what your thinking!
I'm using an 18g I had laying around for a sump and a 8g I had for a fuge.
Although I have no water in them yet (2 days with any luck!!) there are allot of benefits I can already see,
If I had all the equipment in the tank that I have in the sump there wouldnt be any room for any reef lol!!!!!

if possible I would go for an even bigger refugium---I use a 30gal plastic tote
here is picture of it along with many other ideas for sumps and refugiums:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1349443

sspeedguy
04/20/2008, 03:09 PM
Well my display is only 18g so its ok for me but I know quite a few peole use 1-1 for their sump to display ratio if not more.

sspeedguy
04/20/2008, 03:10 PM
Well my display is only 18.7g so its ok for me but I know quite a few peole use 1-1 for their sump to display ratio if not more.

Aquarist007
04/20/2008, 03:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12372617#post12372617 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sspeedguy
Well my display is only 18.7g so its ok for me but I know quite a few peole use 1-1 for their sump to display ratio if not more.

sorry I read your signature too quickly --I was looking at the size of the FW tank

but the thread I suggested is a good read full of ideas