PDA

View Full Version : small vs large what tanks do you like

sostoudt
04/20/2008, 11:09 PM
for the first couple of years i gradually progressed to larger tanks until i obtained a 100 gal(which is the largest space and weight will allow). Thinking it was what i wanted to build my ideal reef tank, soon my dream reef tank has come to fruition. after 5 years of the frequent and exhuasting matience to mantain its beauty my love of the hobby was wearing thin. years later i have just set up a 15 gallon to breed clownfish, in a attempt to rekindle my passion for marine fish. rekindle it did and more, i've found that i actually enjoy my nano tank better then my "impressive show reef". its refreshing to do a water change with only 5 gallon bucket instead of a trash can and 50 gallon plastic water storage unit. in the small tank i can easily relocate inhabitants that cause trouble with out moving a hundred pounds of live rock(even that doesnt guarentee a successful capture). don't get me wrong i always enjoyed where's waldo but its not as fun in a tank. I developed a relationship with the inhabitants in a couple weeks that took years in the big tank.now that im an more experienced reefer there is no contest i like the small tank better.well now that youve heard my life story(sorry lol) whats your opinion do you like a nano or a large show tank?

p.s. maybe its just a been there done that mentality. also i still have the 100 gal

Untamed12
04/20/2008, 11:22 PM
I had a small tank for nearly 15 years. Now, I have my dream large tank and I am extemely happy. The large tank is allowing me to keep many fish I could not keep before. Maintenance is only slightly more because the larger tank is better designed. (no more buckets for me!)

Bri Guy
04/20/2008, 11:33 PM
first off
[welcome]

2nd, I agree with your views, I like my nano and have no urge to upgrade to anything much larger in the future, maybe a little more room, but not the beasts some people have on here, the smaller scale lets me enjoy my tank more.