PDA

View Full Version : Do feed any other fish besides silversides?

goodtimes2
04/21/2008, 07:43 AM
I just recently aquired a RBTA. He or she is healthy and I have been feeding it silversides. Can you provide any other fresh fish that you buy from a fish market? What about fish eggs? Has anyone had any luck feeding other types of dead fish ?

nauticac4
04/21/2008, 08:27 AM
Ive done scallops, salmon, shrimp and tuna. All seemed to have worked well. But the salmon and tuna were trimmings from out fresh people food. A little expensive to have it lying around for the nem

kicbak
04/21/2008, 08:37 AM
I used some frozen "white fish" I bought at Sam's Club. We have it for dinner a few times a month and I noticed it didn't have any preservatives or anything so I cut a fillet into small pieces and my carpet loves it. I thaw it in some tank water and pour the water back into the tank and the anemone can sense food coming and the mouth starts to come out even before I give it the fish. I'd be very careful if you go this route and make sure its just fish without anying "non-fishy"

Cope
04/21/2008, 10:01 AM
After being on this board for a mineute, I would not feed My anemone silversides. A few people think feeding silversides may have lead to the death of their anemone.

1 Silversides are large, the anemone has to use a lot of energy just to break down and eat the food.

2 No quality control, rotting, old, and just bad fish may cause the anemone problems.

It's best to buy sea food at the market, and freeze it. When feeding cut the food up. The more you cut it the better it will be for your anemone. Would you hand a baby a fat chunk of steak?

I just feed silver sides to my brittle stars now.

This is just my opinion, and what I learned from others here. My anemone is just to important to me to take any chances with.

Jovreefer
04/21/2008, 10:16 AM
Ditto Cope ... after the stories of possible bad silversides I would not feed that at all.

I feed my anem any fish I buy for myself to eat, I cut a tiny chunk off before I cook it.

On a side note, I did feed it salmon once and did not realize hubby bought "farm raised color added" instead of wild. The anem was fine with that too.

goodtimes2
04/21/2008, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the info, it makes a lot of sense.