PDA

View Full Version : Calcium reactor adjustment question

Ricimer
04/21/2008, 08:50 AM
Hi! I have a hard time getting constant pH in my calcium reactor. I have a Korallin with a pH controller and solenoid on it. I have been reading that it's not a good practice to rely on the controller and that it's better to set it just right and have the controller as a security. I am trying to achieve that, but I can't get a stable pH in there. No matter how little I screw/unscrew the smaller valve on the regulator, pH will slowly go down or up, it never stays stable around a specific value. I may take 12-18 hours or even 24h, but eventually it goes down below 6.5 or over 6.8 It this normal?
For now, I let the controller turn it off when it reaches 6.5 and on again when it reaches 6.6 That happens about twice a day.
How can I set it right?
Thanks!
Ricimer

pwhitby
04/23/2008, 07:20 AM
It sounds to me like the bubble flow is too high and is causing swings in the system- or the water flow is too high.

However, a switching of once or twice a day is perfectly fine and I would be happy with it set that way.

What is your total flow through the system ?
(as in effluent amount per hour)

Paul.

Ricimer
04/27/2008, 08:16 AM
Hi! Sorry I could not awnser before. The bubble rate on my reactor is 35 bubbles per minute and the effluent rate is 70 drops per minute. I am reassured by your statement that switching one or twice a day is fine. However I dont have much experience with a CO2 reactor and I was wandering if some people dont have any switch at all? I dont know how I could achieve that. No matter how delicate I am in adjusting the knob, not even noticing a bubble increase/decrease count then, pH will go down or up, not stabilizing around a narrow range.
From what I read some people dont even have a pH monitor on their reactor, wich I dont understand since the pH is supposed to be kept between 8.5 and 8.8...
Thanks!
Ricimer