PDA

View Full Version : wanting a sump eventually...

macchicks
04/21/2008, 10:34 AM
I have not set up at all yet.
I have a 125 tank that is not drilled. I want to set up in the next month with manual filtration HOB or canister. I have these available along with crappy skimmer.

I just want to get the rock water and sand in. Start the cycle. I plan on using mostly lace rock with some live. I only plan on adding pair of clowns or a few chromis between cycle end and when I add sump. Could be January before I add sump. May squeak it in before but definatly no later than January.

The question is can I have the tank drilled now put the bulkheads in and cap them so that I they are there for when I can add the sump/refug and the pump with a good skimmer. So I can just drain a little water without haveing to tear down completely to do the drilling when I can add sump. I dont want to have to wait that long to start knowing that I want to have a rock tank for awhile so life can grow.

also if I am painting the back do I do that before drilling or does it matter?

svynx
04/21/2008, 10:43 AM
My suggestion would be, if you are set on drilling, then drill it now befor you put water in the tank. It will make it easier in the long run. You can paint befor or after. Once you get the bulkheads in, just screw in an end cap and that will block the hole untill you are ready to put in the sump. At that point just drain the water till it's under the bulkheads and you are good to go.

Aquarist007
04/21/2008, 10:47 AM
I agree--drill now while you can and setup your sump and protein skimmer

why would you wait to add a sump esp with that size of tank?

WaterKeeper
04/21/2008, 10:56 AM
Definitely, drill now. Drilling an operating tank is asking for trouble.

macchicks
04/21/2008, 11:54 AM
everyone thank you

capn---going this big was not in the initial plan but I got a good deal on a tank that had been up and running on the mechanical filters. not the best way but doable as I have seen so many varied opinions on here on this and that.

I have been reading everyday for months now trying to get a plan. I know sump is the best bet. That is why before setting up I was hoping I could drill and cap off so I could add it easy.

I am a stay at home mother of three all in school now. I dont have transportation to go anywhere, we live in the country. So this tank will be babied. I just have to spread the cost of the big things out a little. Regular Maintence cost is not a problem. Starting off by having a RODI unit installed.
Electricity just for this tank ran.
Will have a QT for future use.

I am a little scared of a sump I dont know how to plumb it.
I am afraid of flooding everything. I am going to let the guys at reef systems drill the tank and direct me in the right direction for a pump and plumbing. Again so many varied opinions but I am planning on a octopus skimmer was going to go coralife but figured this was better as I had not heard many negatives.

Aquarist007
04/21/2008, 12:04 PM
Macchicks---have a look at this thread --the guys will guide you through your sump build

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1349443

svynx
04/21/2008, 12:08 PM
Not a bad idea to get someone to drill it for you. I've done it a few time...on small tanks, not sure i want to attempt my 120. I was going to say draw your system the way you want it and then post it to get some feedback (and I suggest doing it anyway), but having someone who does it for a living is a good way to go. Keep in mind though, things that worksfor someone doesn't work for everyone. Enjoy figuring out what works for you.
As for the flooding. Once you have your sump up and running, do a test by turning off the return pump. Let your sump fill from the overflow. Once that is finished, top it off (i'd say about an inch from the top), and turn the return pump back on. Once that is running for a few minutes, take a sharpy and mark the water level in the sump. That's your max water level that you can have in there to avoid a flood.
Hope this helps.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of help here.
Cheers

WaterKeeper
04/22/2008, 09:04 AM
More on Sumps (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/newbie/index.php).

Ricky1066
04/22/2008, 09:17 AM
Hello Not meaning to Hijack this thread But I have the 12 gallon sump and a eheim return pmp Ihave to have the pump up high so I can get good flow over the hob box otherwise I get the filmon top

I ask becuase I saw the article you posted Waterkeeper and it says slow flow as I mentioned if Islow it down it barely goes in the box and I have film???

o2 jockey
04/22/2008, 09:30 AM
what if one didn't know about sumps and didn't drill holes? what options does he have?

WaterKeeper
04/23/2008, 09:19 AM
One then uses a hang on overflow box. It uses a siphon to exchange water between the tank and the sump. This can create a problem as the siphon tubes can become clogged, so it is wise to use at least two. Most equipment manufactures carry these and they are inexpensive.

o2 jockey
04/27/2008, 11:25 PM
i appreciate the advice waterkeeper.

swreasercher
04/28/2008, 02:29 AM
i would just wait till you have the sump to start your tank. jmo