PDA

View Full Version : Duncan head skeleton burst open

FishAreFriends2
04/21/2008, 01:10 PM
I bought a single duncan yesterday from a local fish store. Brought it home it looked fine for the day. But today when I went to check on my duncan, I noticed the head skeleton burst open, it was still intake though. It was just hanging there. I quickly took it out and held the skeleton back together than put some super glue on it to seal the crack. It looks like the flesh was holding on to the skeleton, so I am not sure if there was any damage done to the flesh.I was wondering whats the success rate for it to heal?

Aqua-World PITT
04/21/2008, 08:12 PM
It shouldn't just crack open like that. Maybe your LFS doesn't know how to frag duncans. They prob used some kind of snippers to frag it. Thus, cracked the polyp in half. Your supposed to cut it cith diamond blades. Buy anyways back to the point, I have had to cut polyps in half because they were so closely bunched together. I just left it 2 sperate half polyps. They ended up coming back after some time to a regular polyp. If you feed it a lot then it should comeback faster especially if you glued it back together. I think it should be fine just target feed it more often so the flesh can bond the skeleton back together.

Aqua-World PITT
04/21/2008, 08:14 PM
by the way i wouldn't recommend to rebreak it to get 2 polyps, just leave it glued back together.

FishAreFriends2
04/22/2008, 10:51 AM
The local fish store used a dremel to score around it than he used a hammer and screw driver. Maybe he did damage it but at the time I didn't see any damage when glueing it down. The stick is about a inch which is pretty long. And the damage area where it poped open was half way or so. It looked like a flap still hanging on to the tissue. But anyways today it looked better I can actually see half of it coming back out. At least no serious damage was done. And what does a duncan eat? I tried shooting some freeze dried cyclop-eze onto it but it doesn't cling on to it.

@question about recovery
How long did it take for your 2 half duncans to become full heads again?

Henry760
04/22/2008, 11:29 AM
IME Duncans are usually pretty hardy.I'd say maybe
2 weeks to fully recover..As far as feeding,mine eat
what ever I put in the tank.Try feeding mysis shrimp.
Good Luck!

JUICE!
04/22/2008, 01:59 PM
duncans are the xenia of australia!

FishAreFriends2
04/22/2008, 03:59 PM
Really?

FishAreFriends2
04/25/2008, 09:36 AM
Question for those that have had a cracked duncan, or have seen a dying duncan, how fast will it take for them to melt away? Right now it seems halfs the duncans missing. but it still comes out but not alot. I have feed it also.