PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with Orange Shoulder Tang?

DugJ
04/21/2008, 02:08 PM
Saw one locally in the store, was wondering if it might be a good addition. How hardy and aggressive are they? Would it mix well with a paracanthurus and z. desjardini? The orange shoulder would be the largest fish if I added him, was wondering if this would help the aggression from the sailfin and hippo. Anything to add would be appreciated.

thor32766
04/21/2008, 06:07 PM
This is my favorite fish. Heres my below.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd166/thor32766/pic002.jpg
I wouldnt trade mine for the world. I have a black tang, goldflake and a few other expspensive fish and I wouldn't trade any of them for my orange shoulder. Mine is passive and dosent have any problems with my other tangs. All 13 of them. Its also good that he will be bigger then the others. Keep them feed atleast two times a day to help keep the aggression down. Also how bid is he? Mine uses every bit of my 450 gallon tank.

cl2ysta1
04/21/2008, 06:25 PM
my experience is they are jerks as youngsters and quite docile when they are older

cwoods8
04/21/2008, 06:32 PM
http://wetwebmedia.com/badacanthurusaq.htm

nice fish though......but from personal experience with this species i will back up Mr. Fenner.

cl2ysta1
04/21/2008, 08:46 PM
as with any fish they can all have different personalities from the norm. I would definetly have it be the last fish added.

DugJ
04/22/2008, 07:25 AM
Every source I've managed to find lists the fish as peaceful with other surgeons. I guess I was worried more of my desjardini causing problems. The orange shoulder is about 4" whereas my desjardini is only about 3.5" Would you want the addition to be larger or smaller? I was thinking larger as I wouldn't expect the added fish to be as aggressive.

thor32766
04/22/2008, 01:50 PM
Larger. Yes I totally disagree with the writing. Orange shoulders everyone I have been around are really passive fish. Now red seas on the other hand are quite the boss. You want you new fish to be able to handle the new introduction. My orange shoulder is about 12" and never looks twice at my other tangs.

Gillybaby
04/22/2008, 03:35 PM
I agree with Thor on this one, my Orange Shoulder has to be the most laid back fish in my tank. My Hippo on the other hand is a monster and rules with an iron scalpel ;)

I added mine last to the already well established Hippo & 3xYellow Tangs. I can't remember there being any aggression to speak of at all. It was an inch smaller than the Hippo but much larger than the Yellow Tangs. Over feeding reduces aggression a lot but make sure your filtration is up to the job.

Also, all three tangs will grow big & fast so make sure you have the room and your filtration can take the added load as they fill out.

One of my all time favourite fish though, good choice ;)

kirkaz
04/22/2008, 03:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12381022#post12381022 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cwoods8
http://wetwebmedia.com/badacanthurusaq.htm

nice fish though......but from personal experience with this species i will back up Mr. Fenner.

Thanks for posting that, I had not read through that before....Makes me feel better about the Sohal I plan to put last in my 240. If Bob F. likes it it's good enough for me